68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 The Website Forum
 Graphic Display of Compatibility Content?
Author Topic  
Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2002 :  10:10:20
an idea surfaced from the muck a bit ago when i was responding to ~coxy's quest for a solution to yet another case of software incompatibilities.

his need for a QuickTime rev to span several different generations of apps, hardware and system software sounded like a couple of the other issues that seem to have have cropped up with regularity.

i just lost it, so i'll lay it out sorta the way it happened and maybe we can figure out if this kinda thing (for some reason a turn of phrase keeps popping into mind: maniacal convolutions of the data's graphical representation) would have some merit.

response in this MLA thread:

topic.asp.TOPIC_ID=2495.html

whatever, there's a parallel thread on fritter that a couple of interesting links popped up on:

http://www.applefritter.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=68k;action=display;num=1029651290

i don't remember QuickTime 1.6.2, maybe that one will work or were there even later rev's between 1.5 and 2.0?

back with one further thought: might old AOL installer disks or those that came with other applications, peripherals or BBS/WWW installers be a source for Quicktime variants with useful patches? (undocumented or little known)

a listing of all the trans-point upgrade features for crucial feature sets like QuickTime, Networking Protocols, Display Driver Features and sillier stuff like desktops and appearances might be really great content and it'd make a gorgeous web page if laid out in a parallel-bar graphed time line with crap like CPU generation underlays and I/O architecture overlays and graphics of the macs and GUI's as they developed to make it interactive and very rich in information depth and visual impact. the extra charts would even act as a table of contents and point out some of the interesting interrelationships in the data if they faded in and out as the page was viewed online.

dunno, whatcha think, gang?

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2002 :  11:47:09
I use QuickTime 1.6.2 on one of the two copies of OS 8.1 that are running on separate partitions of my Quadra 840av's main drive (the other has 4.x). The only reason I use it because it's the newest version that works with the SuperMac SipgotPower AV card, so I have to boot from that OS in order to capture and output video.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
I Have No Legs!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2002 :  12:09:32
quote:

I use QuickTime 1.6.2 on one of the two copies of OS 8.1 that are running on separate partitions of my Quadra 840av's main drive (the other has 4.x). The only reason I use it because it's the newest version that works with the SuperMac SipgotPower AV card, so I have to boot from that OS in order to capture and output video.

if that has any cnhance of supporting ~coxy's VideoSpigot (IIsi model) get your tuschie into the thread i linked above and tell him about it! :rolleyes:

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2002 :  12:32:17
Done and done.

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2002 :  15:04:09
IT'S A BLINDER OUR KID.

What we need is he/she who will implement. If we all send details, say I have quicktime version 1.0.1998/z*t beta alphanumeric(not John Merrick who was the alphabet, no sorry the elephant man).

Lost the thread now,

& then I post to nominated person ala "I run Quicktime version(just fill this bit in yourselves) On Mac os 8.1 running on my Quadra 840av.

Then nominated person could put data into a table form and post the results, updating every so often. Posting graphically would be great, loadsa pie charts & bar graphs.

Gee I really miss doing Geography.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av 128MB ram 2MB vram cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(1.2 gig drive
2 monitors 15" & 14" os 8.1 56k modem Stylewriter 1200 Zodiac speakers Umax 1220s scanner
3 year old son!Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2002 :  15:06:51
I like pie charts, too. Quicken makes them all nice and purty like.

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2002 :  15:14:35
I used to have a program on my st called, diskgraph(or somthing like that). It would show a disk or folder graphically as pie charts.

I used it with Gemulator to help me clear out my windows drive. there might be a 68kmac version, I might just go google for it.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av 128MB ram 2MB vram cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(1.2 gig drive
2 monitors 15" & 14" os 8.1 56k modem Stylewriter 1200 Zodiac speakers Umax 1220s scanner

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2002 :  15:42:24
The programs called diskcake, theres no mention of it running on a 68k mac though:-(

shaktiman

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2002 :  17:05:57
I know that there was a 68k version that gave you a graphical indication of how much space your files and folder took up on your hard drive, I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, though.

Anyway, I've found that old demo disks, games and driver install disks are pretty good for old versions of extensions, a list would be a good idea.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  15:34:29
I want to have my diskcake & eat it!

shaktiman

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.