All Forums
 Lounge
 Performa logic board question
Author Topic  
Squibix
Starting Member

45 Posts
Posted - 16 Aug 2002 :  17:52:12
Could I switch the logic boards on a 5215 and a 6220? What would be the effect of so doing? I'm ashamed to ask, cause I'm sure the answer is quite obvious either way... but hey, I have to start somewhere!
Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Aug 2002 :  18:08:46
quote:

Could I switch the logic boards on a 5215 and a 6220? What would be the effect of so doing? I'm ashamed to ask, cause I'm sure the answer is quite obvious either way... but hey, I have to start somewhere!

if those are both PPC roadapple desktops/all-in-ones like my 5260 and 6290 the only upgrade mobo worth putting in would be a 5500/6500 cuz the 5400/6400/6360 need a 3.3v hack.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=112319
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=112316

they look exactly the same so only swap if you want to fix one that's dead. you'll have to swap the mobo drawer faces, IIRC

some others like the 6290 will give you a 100 MHz machine, but i wouldn't spend any money for it if i were you. does that help, i really didn't know why you were asking so i don't know if it answers your question.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 16 Aug 2002 18:11:45Go to Top of Page

Squibix
Starting Member

45 Posts
Posted - 16 Aug 2002 :  18:20:56
quote:
they look exactly the same so only swap if you want to fix one that's dead.

Bah, they do. I was under the mistaken impression that the 6220 was better, so I was going to stick it into the 5215 which is a gigantic ugly all-in-one. The reason for that being, I don't have a monitor for the 6220, which is not. Also I'm bored. But seeing as it would be a pretty pointless exercise, I'll have to find something else to keep myself occupied.

Thanks for the quick response!

Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 16 Aug 2002 :  18:27:03
If you haven't seen it already, see the article at http://www.lowendmac.com/tech/x200.shtml on why these computers perform so badly.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE (2), IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Aug 2002 :  18:34:18
quote:

Also I'm bored. But seeing as it would be a pretty pointless exercise, I'll have to find something else to keep myself occupied.

nopro, i was bored too!

does anybody know if the 15" monitors in the 5xxx POS roadapples is fixed frequency? using the 6220's more flexible video out might be worthwhile to try out of boredom if there's any chance it's a multisync!

640 x 480 is only bearable for watching TV!

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

Squibix
Starting Member

45 Posts
Posted - 16 Aug 2002 :  19:03:06
quote:
If you haven't seen it already, see the article at http://www.lowendmac.com/tech/x200.shtml on why these computers perform so badly.

Well bleh. Very interesting; I hadn't seen it. I'm ashamed to say, I used that 5215 as my only comp for about four years! But back then all I did was word processing; I didn't even have internet access. That was before I aspired to becoming a l33t hardware hacker.

As a testament to my l33t skills, both boards seem not to be working right now; or else something else is wrong in the 5215. I had it working, with the original board, a couple weeks ago; the 6220 has never worked since I got it (which I assumed was cause of a dead battery, like the Quadra* I got at the same time). So I took the battery off the 5215 board, put it on the 6220 board and put it in the 5215. Nothing. Maybe the board is dead. Took it back out, put the battery back on the original board, put it in. Nothing. Argh!

I'm too sleepy to mess around with this any more tonight, but If anyone has any suggestions they'd be welcome. I was hoping to give one of them to an aspiring young hacker (9yo) and fool around with the tv card on the other one, so while I hardly need either, in a perfect world I'd love to have both working.

*can't get the link to work, here's the url: topic.asp.TOPIC_ID=2239.html . Thanks ~coxy for the editing tip; it turns out I wasn't logged in is all.

Edited by - Squibix on 17 Aug 2002 07:22:42Go to Top of Page

Squibix
Starting Member

45 Posts
Posted - 17 Aug 2002 :  05:10:07
Never mind. I won't tell you what was wrong, but one can make some stupid mistakes when it's late and one is tired!

By the way, is it possible to edit posts on this board? I want to fix that url (and perhaps hide the evidence of my stupidity!) but I can't see how to go about it.Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 17 Aug 2002 :  06:02:03
You need to be logged in, and it's one of those little icons about each post, I think the pencil one is Edit.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Aug 2002 :  06:30:49
quote:

Never mind. I won't tell you what was wrong, but one can make some stupid mistakes when it's late and one is tired!

By the way, is it possible to edit posts on this board? I want to fix that url (and perhaps hide the evidence of my stupidity!) but I can't see how to go about it.

don't worry about silly mistakes, those, Dumb@$$ answers and stupid jokes are what pass for entertainment around here!

lemme guess, power switch snafu on the AIO? don't worry about looking stupid until you go to save a file for sneakernet and press the floppy eject button on a 610 by mistake! :rolleyes:

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

Squibix
Starting Member

45 Posts
Posted - 17 Aug 2002 :  07:20:26
Power switch, power switch... Yes, it turns out some comps actually have power switches on the back, for what reason I can't imagine... In any case, it seems these switches have to actually be switched on for the machine to start up! Who knew!

Hehe, yes, the problem was that the thing wasn't switched on. I can't imagine why I ever switched it off in the first place, but clearly I did; and since I'm used to using either G4s with no ancient legacy switches or 68k macs where they actually are needed to turn the machine on and off, I didn't think to check. This morning I did, though! Clearly a good night's sleep has it's benefits.

In other embarassing news, I find that this comp I used for so many years has only, wait for it, 8 megs of RAM! Hehe. My new Quadra 605 has 20! What are the constraints on buying new RAM; that is, I read that 'SIMMs may be installed one at a time and may be of different sizes, but the should be the same speed.' What's the practical significance of that?

And thanks much for all yr help!

[and btw, the 5215 monitor isn't fixed frequency; I can get 832x624 at 75 Hz, but only in 256 colors (default is 640x40, 67 Hz, with thousands). When I put the 6220 board in there I'll let you know what it can do.]

Edited by - Squibix on 17 Aug 2002 07:41:20Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.