All Forums
 Quadra / Centris
 new quadra 605, nonfunctional
Author Topic  
Squibix
Starting Member

45 Posts
Posted - 28 Jul 2002 :  15:38:53
I just got a Quadra 605 out of someone's trash (along with a performa 6220CD, but you don't care about that!) and it's in great shape, externally, but... it doesn't run. The first problem is that there's no video; looking around on danamania's site I saw what she says about the battery, and that's indeed the problem. So. When we have video, we see that the computer starts up to the blinking question mark, and indeed the hard drive makes some interesting noises: a sort of chirp, repeated every few seconds.

What I really want to know before I put too much work into this thing is, what's involved in replacing the battery? And is the hard drive dead, or can something perhaps be done to save it? (I don't have any system disks between 6 and 9 so I can't even see if anything else might be wrong.)

Forgive me for asking these sorts of questions, when the answers are undoubtedly already available from various places--I already learned a bunch in between writing this post--but I figured you all know more about this sort of thing than anyone, and thought I'd come to the source! Thanks.

Edited by - Squibix on 28 Jul 2002 15:41:45

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 28 Jul 2002 :  16:19:53
quote:

I just got a Quadra 605 out of someone's trash (along with a performa 6220CD, but you don't care about that!) and it's in great shape, externally, but... it doesn't run. The first problem is that there's no video; looking around on danamania's site I saw what she says about the battery, and that's indeed the problem. So. When we have video, we see that the computer starts up to the blinking question mark, and indeed the hard drive makes some interesting noises: a sort of chirp, repeated every few seconds.

What I really want to know before I put too much work into this thing is, what's involved in replacing the battery? And is the hard drive dead, or can something perhaps be done to save it? (I don't have any system disks between 6 and 9 so I can't even see if anything else might be wrong.)

open up the case by lifting/unclipping the tabs in the back and look at the little 1/2 AA (?) battery on the mobo, they're very easy to replace and cost about $11 at radio shack, IIRC.

it sounds to me line somebody wiped the hard drive before they chucked the machine so the best thing would be to download the 7.5.3 installer images from apple's site or elsewhere and make a set of floppies or at least the disk tools floppy to see if you can get it running with that.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

Squibix
Starting Member

45 Posts
Posted - 28 Jul 2002 :  16:44:44
quote:

open up the case by lifting/unclipping the tabs in the back and look at the little 1/2 AA (?) battery on the mobo, they're very easy to replace and cost about $11 at radio shack, IIRC.

Opened and removed! I'll see if I can get a battery tomorrow.

quote:
...download the 7.5.3 installer images from apple's site or elsewhere and make a set of floppies...

I'm on a dial-up connection right now but am eagerly anticipating a cable installation in a couple days, so I'll probably wait til then. Also there's the little problem of, the only computer that's online right now doesn't have a floppy drive, but I'm sure I can work around that! ;). I do, though, have a spare hard drive lying around from a stalled project; it's a 500 meg drive from a 7100, but I don't remember what OS is on there. Might anything bad happen, if I stick it in the Quadra? (I don't know anything about this business, but I'm learning!)Go to Top of Page

Squibix
Starting Member

45 Posts
Posted - 29 Jul 2002 :  08:24:03
quote:

...you could have enough of a booting 7.5/7.6 or OS8 system that'll get the quadra up and going... enough to boot it into anything else anyhows. :)

It lives! It turns out the HD from the 7100 has 7.5.6 on it... or something like that. It's a bit confusing, as the system profiler doesn't agree with 'about this computer'--the latter says it's running 7.6. But perhaps they're similar enough for that not to matter. I'll go see if I can get a new battery this afternoon, and then the thing'll be running for real! Any suggestions of the optimal OS--should I just stick with what's on there now? (I should say, it has 20 megs of RAM.)Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 29 Jul 2002 :  18:52:09
7.1 forever! Talk about snap. Dana had it right about RAM. If you want to do internet, and do it easily, you might stick with 7.5.3, though. It has all the necessary components built in. 7.1 can do it just fine, but you'll have to get the installers for TCP/IP and OT. Try Gamba's site

http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/

There you can get system images and the internet stuff. I'm not sure if Dana has all of that stuff. Have fun

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }

Edited by - candyPunk on 29 Jul 2002 18:54:02Go to Top of Page

dunbar

USA
87 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2002 :  04:54:32
quote:

So. When we have video, we see that the computer starts up to the blinking question mark, and indeed the hard drive makes some interesting noises: a sort of chirp, repeated every few seconds.
I fried my 605s SCSI from the rear SCSI connector - long story made short is I hooked the power connector to an external drive backwards, fed 12V throughout the whole SCSI system, fried the SCSI chip on the mobo, next boot was, chirp chirp chirp. Sorry, but the possibility of fried SCSI exists for you as well. But wait - good news: pop the cover, look at the hard disk drive very closely. If you see Quantum and LPS written on it anywhere, try this: power up the 605 with the cover off, get to the flashing question mark. Give the hard disk a rap (on the corner of the drive housing) with your knuckles - as if knocking on a door - one rap. If the chirp goes away and the system boots - you have the famous but not frequently admitted Quantum hard disk 'stiction' problem. In that case, the SCSI stuff is fine, not fried; get a new disk drive (SCSI-2) because this is already beyond useful life. Also try freezing the drive overnight then quickly hooking it up and then try booting it (same results: if it boots whn frozen, SCSI is fine). http://www.compgeeks.com/specials.asp?cat=MAC usually has good prices on trailing edge stuff, but nothing today (Aug 2, 2002).
quote:
What I really want to know before I put too much work into this thing is, what's involved in replacing the battery?{/quote] Covered elsewhere - pop the top, remove (and toss) the battery retainer clip, pull the battery and head to Radio Shack (if local) and plunk down $8USD.[quote] And is the hard drive dead, or can something perhaps be done to save it?
See above.

HTH
EDIT: I see I should have read more posts after the first 3.... Oh well, same info applies to any 68k mac which is stock Apple.

Linux is my choice. Mac was my guide. M$ is not my friend.

Edited by - dunbar on 02 Aug 2002 04:59:58Go to Top of Page

Squibix
Starting Member

45 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2002 :  06:10:14
quote:

If you see Quantum and LPS written on it anywhere...

Yes indeed, that's what it is: Quantum ProDrive LPS. I have another working drive in there now, but when I get a chance I'll put that one back in and give the knock a try.

And thanks to the rest of you, too... I was so excited the thing was working I didn't say thank you properly! I'll no doubt be back with more questions shortly, on how to get the thing on the internet... either that or I'll be posting from it! So far it's only been used for several hours worth of RoboSport and Solarian II.Go to Top of Page

Squibix
Starting Member

45 Posts
Posted - 16 Aug 2002 :  10:18:34
quote:
...either that or I'll be posting from it!

Which has come to pass! But man, is this thing slow! With iCab the main page of the forums took about a minute to load. Also, I started out trying to use Netscape 3.01 which I had lying around, and crashed it about five or twelve times before I gave up. iCab has crashed once so far in about five minutes of use. In both cases I get those 'the application has crashed because an error of type 0 (or 3) occurred' messages. But I'm online, which is all that counts... and, I've got a switch now so this machine can be online without me having to disconnect my other *ahem* real computer!

So any suggestions on what might be a better configuration are appreciated; I think I'm going to drop down to System 7.1, and try Netscape 4.08: that seems to be a strong recommendation from a trusted expert. And then, I'll get to work on my true goal: trying to figure out how to play multiplayer games of RoboSport over the internet!

[in other news, I think I might be able to get my hands on a Quadra 660AV in the near future... woohoo!]Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 16 Aug 2002 :  12:31:21
IMHO, you should go with either System 7.1 or System 7.6.1. Both are very stable. However, IIRC, Netscape 4.0.8 only runs on System 7.6.1 or higher.

As for web browsing, 68k Macs were not really built to browse the web, and they just don't cut it for rendering today's complicated pages. If you really want a Mac to browse with, get at least a PCI PPC box or better.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE (2), IIsi, PB 145c, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 16 Aug 2002 :  19:50:26
quote:

Which has come to pass! But man, is this thing slow! With iCab the main page of the forums took about a minute to load. Also, I started out trying to use Netscape 3.01 which I had lying around, and crashed it about five or twelve times before I gave up. iCab has crashed once so far in about five minutes of use. In both cases I get those 'the application has crashed because an error of type 0 (or 3) occurred' messages. But I'm online, which is all that counts... and, I've got a switch now so this machine can be online without me having to disconnect my other *ahem* real computer!

Two things I've noticed about iCab on a 68k...

1) It definately likes more memory than the predefined amounts. So do a "Get Info" on the iCab executable and increase the preferred memory amount.

2) Try changing iCab's preferences to use less simultaneous connections.

<<<john>>

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.