USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 08 Aug 2002 :  09:04:56
Serendipity Rocks!

the maniac strikes again:

http://www.danamania.com/temp/maxitower.jpg

this thread set the ole crazy-hack wheels in my noggin' a'turning:

topic.asp.TOPIC_ID=2359.html

i disassembled my 605 to check out on old idea i couldn't get out of my head, but never actually explored and made a very interesting discovery. if you remove the RFI shielding from inside the the lid and set the metal shell on top of the base unit, it's clear to see that if the bottom shielding is removed and the plastics are discarded, the metal RFI shell would be the perfect basis for fabricating a TiMicroQuadra™ Case Hack!

whatever . . . that'll be my new back burner project . . . the really exciting news is that by removing the controller board from one of my older CD-ROM drives from the 605/630 era, i can shorten it enough to install it into the 605 by dropping the floor of the hard disk area to the bottom plastic level by milling away the ridges supporting the shielding. i'll have to drop the fan too and move the speaker, but it should fit nicely. the controller will need to be bottom mounted or moved over the top of the FDD, dunno, i'll have to block it out.

my extra 630 bezel will provide the tray-loader port and eject button and there will be room left underneath for the Logo/Macintosh/Quadra 605 Graphics to fit underneath the tray port!

with a judicious amount of bondo, elbow grease and black or powerbook graphite paint i'll have a TrayLoader/Stealth Feetsbox with styling similar to the one LakeEffect did over on fritter. by using an IDE-SCSI bridge and an adapter for my 4 Gig 2.5" laptop drive i should be able to fit everything into the box including one of my LC PDS PAS 16/Line-Level breakout box combos for a fully equipped MicroQuadra mp3 powerhouse. that'll give me an excuse to paint my Portrait Shell to match and it should look very hot!

has anybody got a ratty 605 case or a whole 605 with a crappy yellow case they wanna sell or swap for a IIfx or something? i'd like to keep this one pristine and i need more logic boards for the BrickOven anyway (i just scored the Asante NIC's for that one on eBay! )

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 08 Aug 2002 :  19:39:57
quote:

Sort of it... :)

http://www.danamania.com/temp/625.jpg

AYUP! whatcha think, banadanadingdong?

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 08 Aug 2002 :  21:02:07
quote:

quote:

quote:

AYUP! whatcha think, banadanadingdong?

I like it - add the multiple simm hack, and 44Mhz, and the scsi->ide convertor, and paint it, and pat it, and...

...anything with the phrase "lots of bondo" sounds good by me!

dana (wonder if an Odyssey speaker from an iMac would fit somewhere too?)

NOPE! i've got a 300 watt 5.1 Dolby Digital Home Theatre setup to pump it thru, that's why i got an extra PAS 16! i don't think i'll need the extra RAM for mpegdec and i definitely don't need it for driving my old plotter, even at 40Mhz it'll be faster than the old Rocket 33 setup in the IIx. it would be interesting to find out how large a RAM IC could replace the mobo RAM IC's if the extra address lines are jumpered to the new IC's tho?

i always thought there was extra room in a 605, but its shielding is exactly the same as in a 475! all the extra room is in the floor truss between the two front feets! the 475's monofeets thingie must act as a truss and the lip in the front is much shallower than the 605 as a result, so a full size CD-ROM won't fit in the 475, jus in the lovely MicroQuadra boxen!

the way the feets on the portrait monitor distribute the load to the edges of the feetsbox instead of concentrating it in the middle like a tilt/swivel base does means that removing the truss ridges won't cause a structural problem. *crosses fingers*

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 09 Aug 2002 :  06:43:50
quote:

dana

HAR!™

iWant! NOW!

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 09 Aug 2002 :  07:52:19
quote:

quote:

dana

HAR!™

iWant! NOW!

working on it . . . but you can't have it!
muahahahahahahahahaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that link of the maniac's gave me another idea when i was checking it out over on fritter:

quote:

i wondered how long it'd take you to post this one over here!

check this Multilevel PDS expansion hack out! looks like they're just breaking the connector to the outside to clear the PPC card but multiple PDS cards could be used if the male connector on an LC PDS NIC were desoldered and replaced with a wire wrap female connector on the component side!

the hack i'd really like to do would be to drop my 605's PDS to an underslung multislot PDS card.

permanantly hacking a 10baseT NIC using three sets of ribbon cable will allow for plenty of crosstalk shielding if i can find one that'll be configurable  addressed at somethiong other than $0E. this would leave the mobo slot unmodified. moving a low profile component card like my Farallon NIC over so that the male PDS connector faces down aligned with an enlarged Security slot  opening along with some judicious milling of the plastic truss members and the backplane would create anadditional daisy-chained slot for another PDS card with the upside-down female EuroCard connector hack installed under the boxie between the feets! 

does anybody know anything about stock multiple address LC PDS card or hacks?

maybe the LC PDS will support multiple devices on $0E like the Duo's 030PDS expansion slot?

info on how the multiple slot LC adapters worked or info on remapping a variable address IIsi/ SE/30 PDS Card to the LC PDS would be greatly appreciated. i don't want to have to give up Ethernet to use the PAS 16 in my InternalCD/605 hack

jt

anybody got a line on PDS addressing info?

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

having different url and emoticon tags from fritter ia a PITA!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 09 Aug 2002 07:54:49Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.