All Forums
 General 68kMLA News & Stuff
 Another new member
Author Topic  
aftermac

USA
80 Posts
Posted - 06 Jul 2002 :  12:02:13
Well, here I am. I've become so PO'd with MacAddict for getting rid of the Vintage forum (not that it was moderated that well in the first place) that I've decided to move my alliance. And, you know what... I feel liberated!

Who am I?

Professionally, I'm a Windows network administrator (yeah, I know, but it pays well). Of our 104 computers I've managed to infiltrate 2 Mac's in the past 8 months, an iBook, and the PowerMac Dual 800 that sits on my desk :)

Personally, I'm a Mac Addict...scratch that... Liberator. I'm 23 years old. My hobbies include collecting and restoring anything with an Apple logo, computer consulting/repair, and converting the masses to the Mac platform.

I am quite proud of my Mac collection (and I flaunt it whenever the opportunity presents itself) Here's the rundown:

(alas, I have not had a chance to name most of them, as this is very personal and takes much consideration)

Apples:
2 Apple IIe
3 Apple IIgs

Liberated 68k's:
1 Mac 512ke
1 Mac Plus (Platinum)
1 Mac Plus (Beige)
1 Mac SE
1 Mac II
1 Mac IIcx
2 Mac IIci
1 Mac IIfx
1 Mac Classic
1 Mac LC
1 Mac IIsi - Sledgehammer
1 Quadra 700
1 LC II
1 PowerBook 145 - RetroBook
1 Color Classic - Beige Rainbow
1 Mac LC III
1 Centris 610
1 Quarda 650
1 PowerBook 165c
1 Quadra 605
1 Mac TV
1 Quadra 630

Contraband PPC's:
4 PowerMac 6100
1 PowerBook Duo 2300c - Durango
1 PowerMac G3 Mini Tower
1 iMac Rev. A - Bondi Blue Box
1 PowerMac G3 (Blue & White) - Daisy (for now)
1 PowerBook (FireWire) - Vagabook

Other:
PowerBook Duo Dock, iPod, Newton 120, Apple (black) headphones, Apple Interactive Television box

Aftermac

A bandoned
F orgotten
T ortured
E ndangered
R etro
M acintosh
A cquisition
C ommando

5 Apples, 23 liberated 68k's, 9 contraband PPC's, and a Duo Dock

Edited by - aftermac on 06 Jul 2002 13:13:44

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 06 Jul 2002 :  12:40:22
Some impressive stats, my friend, and you've certainly got the right spirit. Welcome to the Army!

GORDOOM
Commander, Academic Operations Reserve
(University of Toronto, St. George Campus)
total Macs liberated: 22
(as of June 5, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 06 Jul 2002 :  14:05:37
Wow! That's one hell of a lot of liberations! Now you just need a NeXT cube or slab, an UltraSparc, an SGI O2, a BeBox, a Gibson L-5 CES, and a large SCSI hard drive full of good bebop MP3s to achieve nirvana!

Welcome to the MLA.

By the way, if you're going to put your liberations in your signature as is customary, you should "horizontalize" them so they don't take up so much space on the page.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE, IIsi, Quadra 700, 6100, PB 5300, PowerMac 5400
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 06 Jul 2002 :  17:15:20
I have to jump in at this point, becuase I notice that you have an Apple set top box. Have you had any luck getting it to boot? I have four of them but none appear to be able to boot the Mac OS. (I know there has to be some way to pull it off because I have heard of other people that have done it)

AnubisTTP, Tank Commander, Bolo Division
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:21Go to Top of Page

aftermac

USA
80 Posts
Posted - 06 Jul 2002 :  17:35:25
Since it is a rather long list I had planned on only having the abbreviated, raw numbers version (see below). I may horizontalize my acronym (but, it reads so much easier vertical) and, add a link for my web page once it's finished.

I am supposed be getting an UltraSparc 10... an associate of mine is just throwing it out.

Aftermac

A bandoned
F orgotten
T ortured
E ndangered
R etro
M acintosh
A cquisition
C ommando

5 Apples, 23 liberated 68k's, 9 contraband PPC's, and a Duo DockGo to Top of Page

aftermac

USA
80 Posts
Posted - 06 Jul 2002 :  18:04:15
quote:

I have to jump in at this point, becuase I notice that you have an Apple set top box. Have you had any luck getting it to boot?

Unfortunately, mine isn't much more than a conversation piece. The manual says when you turn it on "A steady red light comes on for several seconds... The light then turns yellow." Well, mine just stays red. No video... no nothing. If I had another one it would be a pretty sweet case to put an actual Mac in.

My theory is that it is incomplete in some way. Someone removed some vital part (or it was never installed in the first place). I too have heard of a few that worked, but the majority of the stories say it was DOA.

I keep it around because it's so rare. I only paid $20, so I'm not too upset.

Aftermac

A bandoned
F orgotten
T ortured
E ndangered
R etro
M acintosh
A cquisition
C ommando

5 Apples, 23 liberated 68k's, 9 contraband PPC's, and a Duo DockGo to Top of Page

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 07 Jul 2002 :  05:09:22
Where do you KEEP all these treasures? We've got a big house, and I've got problems storing even the paltry few Macs I've accumulated (correct term, in my case--not 'liberated') over the years.

/curious

Curator of: SE (6.0.4), SE w. 020 accelerator (6.0.8), SE w. no HD, IIfx (7.1), IIci (bad HD); plus various PPCs in family (blue G3/350 is main Mac these days).Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 07 Jul 2002 :  05:32:24
Welcome! It's always nice to see new blood, I mean a new member, especially an enthusiastic one, too!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 07 Jul 2002 :  06:33:45
quote:

Unfortunately, mine isn't much more than a conversation piece. The manual says when you turn it on "A steady red light comes on for several seconds... The light then turns yellow." Well, mine just stays
red. No video... no nothing.

Sounds like the same as all of mine, solid red light at startup, and no video. The only thing I have ever heard to explain why some work and some do not is that the ROM chip next to the MPEG decoder chip had Mac boot code in it for testing purposes in the earlier versions, but they removed it from the later models.

Well, I can always wait for the market to no longer be saturated and sell half of mine off at a huge markup. Back in 1999, I saw them selling for 800 - 900 dollars.

AnubisTTP, Tank Commander, Bolo Division
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:21Go to Top of Page

aftermac

USA
80 Posts
Posted - 07 Jul 2002 :  07:31:43
quote:

Where do you KEEP all these treasures? We've got a big house, and I've got problems storing even the paltry few Macs I've accumulated (correct term, in my case--not 'liberated') over the years.

I've got a small apartment (1050 sq. ft.) and I pack 'em in tight. Actually, most of them are in my 8 x 12 small bedroom (aka, "The Museum"). When we got the apartment my girlfriend was well aware that I wasn't giving up ANY of my computers (about 15 at the time), she said she didn't care how many I collected, as long they stayed in the small bedroom... I don't think she expected that number to be near tripling only 1.5 years later.

quote:

Welcome! It's always nice to see new blood, I mean a new member, especially an enthusiastic one, too!

Thanks! It's great to have a place to talk to hundreds of people dedicated to 68k Macs.

Aftermac

A bandoned, F orgotten, T ortured, E ndangered, R etro, M acintosh, A cquisition, C ommando

ghoffmanpdx
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts
Posted - 08 Jul 2002 :  11:38:28
YANU (Yet Another New User) Windoze PC/Net Admin by trade. Recent convert to Mac front (not a double agent...double latte more my style). Currently have 5 68k and 4 PPC. 32 y/o m w/ 4 kids who are learning to like Macs better than peecees. Wife is a little harder to convince, however.

The streets shall flow with the transistors of the non-believers!

Mac 68K Psy-Ops
"Ya want Windows? Ya can't HAVE Windows!!"Go to Top of Page

aftermac

USA
80 Posts
Posted - 08 Jul 2002 :  15:26:20
quote:

[font=Comic Sans MS]YANU (Yet Another New User) Windoze PC/Net Admin by trade. Recent convert to Mac front (not a double agent...double latte more my style). Currently have 5 68k and 4 PPC. 32 y/o m w/ 4 kids who are learning to like Macs better than peecees. Wife is a little harder to convince, however.

Glad to have ya as a member and a Mac user. I've been using Mac's for 10 years, and a Win admin for 3 years...I kinda fell into the job. For a recent convert you've got a healthy start to your collection.

Aftermac

A bandoned, F orgotten, T ortured, E ndangered, R etro, M acintosh, A cquisition, C ommando

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 08 Jul 2002 :  15:54:33
May I add that you should add your self to this thread: topic.asp.TOPIC_ID=1835.html
It has not been updated for a while (because the I disk won't let me access it

-----
Hotline address: 216.130.83.216 (Closed)
TCP/IP server : 216.130.83.218 L: 68kmla p:68000
Http Server URL: Http://homepage.mac.com/catsdorule/ (Web access to manuals)
FTP Server: ftp://216.130.83.218/Library/WebServer/documents l/p 68kmla/68000Go to Top of Page

ghoffmanpdx
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts
Posted - 08 Jul 2002 :  16:02:33
Done and done. Thanks.

Mac 68K Psy-Ops

ghoffmanpdx
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts
Posted - 08 Jul 2002 :  16:06:47

Glad to have ya as a member and a Mac user. I've been using Mac's for 10 years, and a Win admin for 3 years...I kinda fell into the job. For a recent convert you've got a healthy start to your collection.

Aftermac

Lessee here:

1 pb150
1pb190cs
1 LC II
1 LC 575
1 660AV (my youngest daughter (8) adores this machine, and when I brought it home and got it all working, she said "I know which one is mine!"

1 pb5300cs
1 performa 6400/200
2 performa 5200
1 6215cd (ok, so I forgot about this one in my count earlier).

As far as getting a pretty good start, when it comes to ABM (Anything But Microsoft) I pretty much go after it all out (even though I DO have a Windoze tattoo.....)

Mac 68K Psy-Ops

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.