All Forums
 LC / Performa
 LC expansion case on MicroQuadra?
Author Topic  
GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 14 Jun 2002 :  13:01:01
I wasn't sure quite where to post it. I considered Quadra/Centris, but I've always thought of the Q605/LC475 series as being (very capable) consumer/education Macs, so I felt this was more appropriate. Likewise, I thought about 68k Hacks, but this isn't necessarily a hack, so... anyway, on to the point. Mods, feel free to move this if you think it fits better elsewhere.

I was doing some work on Alexandria, my 475, and I had a brainstorm.

Does anyone remember, back in about 1991 or so, this one case expansion that was being sold for the original LC? I think it had a bigger power supply, more drive bays, maybe another expansion slot... stuff like that.

Does anyone know if it could be put onto an LC 475? Can you imagine how sweet a machine that would be?

(Of course, I've never seen one of these expansion cases up close and personal, and I have no clue where I would find one... I just remember seeing ads for them. Does anyone have a collection of Macworld or MacUser from about 1990-1992? Could you check for more information on this?)

GORDOOM
Commander, Academic Operations Reserve
(University of Toronto, St. George Campus)
total Macs liberated: 22
(as of June 5, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 14 Jun 2002 :  13:36:02
quote:

I wasn't sure quite where to post it. I considered Quadra/Centris, but I've always thought of the Q605/LC475 series as being (very capable) consumer/education Macs, so I felt this was more appropriate. Likewise, I thought about 68k Hacks, but this isn't necessarily a hack, so... anyway, on to the point. Mods, feel free to move this if you think it fits better elsewhere.

I was doing some work on Alexandria, my 475, and I had a brainstorm.

Does anyone remember, back in about 1991 or so, this one case expansion that was being sold for the original LC? I think it had a bigger power supply, more drive bays, maybe another expansion slot... stuff like that.

there are threads here and on fritter about them with links to the EXPENSIVE currently available version. find'em and post links here.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

MacMoose

USA
176 Posts
Posted - 14 Jun 2002 :  13:40:33
Have a looksee at this thread...topic.asp.TOPIC_ID=528.html

------------------
MacMoose
Benevolent Genius, 68k MLA
Total 68K Macs liberated: 9 and counting
------------------
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 14 Jun 2002 :  14:21:05
quote:

Have a looksee at this thread...

thx, that was convenient! here's the direct link for in here too!

http://www.micromac.com/products/lc_pws.html

here's the
Fritter Thread where i outline the difference between the linked one and my ad fot the DGR Max version.

hey, G! if you pull the mobo etc to sent me from one 475, you can use the case to hack your own duplex case upgrade/aux PSU! that's what i'm going to do eventually with a couple of my IIx's!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 14 Jun 2002 14:41:30Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 22 Jun 2002 :  17:37:20
When we got our joystick for the LCIII back in 1994 (MicroQue QueStick), there was a brochure inside the box for a device like this called a TopHat. It was an expansion case like this, and had about four PDS slots, and a couple of SCSI bays for hard drives. It worked on the LC and LCII. Not sure about where you can find one though...

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 22 Jun 2002 :  20:14:48
and why haven't you scanned it yet?!?!

[are you sure those weren't NuBus slots?]

--------------------
keeper of the website , master of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™, and figure-head of the Peoples' PDS Republic
--------------------Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2002 :  17:01:20
quote:

and why haven't you scanned it yet?!?!

[are you sure those weren't NuBus slots?]

--------------------
keeper of the website , master of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™, and figure-head of the Peoples' PDS Republic
--------------------

Because i don't have a scanner. The closest thing i have to a scanner is a Grayscale QuickCam.

Also, they weren't NuBus slots. They were LC PDS slots, and there were switches on the back for each slot, so you could switch between which card you wanted to use. Either way, i wish i had one for my LCII...

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2002 :  19:19:37
get your folks to buy you a cheapo scanner at CompUSSR, if they have those down there, scan the card - high-res and all - then return the scanner

--------------------
--------------------Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 03 Jul 2002 :  22:40:44
quote:

get your folks to buy you a cheapo scanner at CompUSSR, if they have those down there, scan the card - high-res and all - then return the scanner

They don't have any of those here....THANK GOD....

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 05 Jul 2002 :  10:20:20
quote:
CompUSSR

lol™ Well it would make sense

-----
Hotline address: 216.130.83.216 (Closed)
TCP/IP server : 216.130.83.218 L: 68kmla p:68000
Http Server URL: Http://homepage.mac.com/catsdorule/ (Web access to manuals)
FTP Server: ftp://216.130.83.218/Library/WebServer/documents l/p 68kmla/68000Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.