Balloon Help
 Pro Mouse Disassembly?
Author Topic  
Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 08 Jun 2002 :  15:19:43
has anybody ever taken one of these apart or seen a hacking howto that shows how to open the nasty little rodent up?

i need to shorten the tail a bit as an intermittent cable failure has developed where the cord enters the casing.

looks like a crappy design, has anyone heard of an extended warranty on thid POS? if not, i think i'll open it up and try to fix it. failing that, i really think it needs a moving parts ball/ADB upgrade!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 08 Jun 2002 :  15:40:37
Will the miracles of Google never cease:

Hack your Apple Pro Mouse

Or, use a framing hammer

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& Wielder of the Laserwriter Toner Cartridge Magnet of DoomGo to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 08 Jun 2002 :  16:23:35
Whats sweet is this is a 68k topic, you can use a Pro Mouse on a 190cs with a USB PC card or the same way on a Powerbook 5xx.

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:18
ENTER THROUGH THE GATESGo to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 08 Jun 2002 :  16:47:32
quote:

Whats sweet is this is a 68k topic, you can use a Pro Mouse on a 190cs with a USB PC card or the same way on a Powerbook 5xx.

Oh, absolutely! No users of contraband PPC stuff here.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze? Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial Symmetry

Edited by - g4from128k on 08 Jun 2002 16:48:07Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 08 Jun 2002 :  19:16:03
quote:

Oh, absolutely! No users of contraband PPC stuff here.

HAR! Nope, not here!

here's a site that says it can't be done!

http://www.chipmunk.nl/ProMouse/index.html

i thought it was ok to post PPC questions in balloon help! don' remember.

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 09 Jun 2002 :  08:51:22
Since it is somewhat possible to hax a Pro Mouse onto a 68k laptop, we'll let this [mod posted topic] slide. The Lounge is the place for PPC questions (or MacAddict!)

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 09 Jun 2002 :  10:02:16
quote:

Since it is somewhat possible to hax a Pro Mouse onto a 68k laptop, we'll let this [mod posted topic] slide. The Lounge is the place for PPC questions (or MacAddict!)

nopro! i thought that might have been the case, maybe the "any questions" should be "any 68k questions" dunno, it's been a while since the nomad was slapped down for constantly putting PPC postings in here!

nehoo! i've got the little b@$%@&# completely gutted now and it is probably going to wind up a righteous 68k compliant ADB peripheral with rolling rubber ball and spinning slotted opto pickups and everything!

it's WAY too much work to get this POS apart just to fix it! right now it's reassembled minus the edge rim and huge clear cover and i must say i like the look and feel of the new low profile gray confiburation with the clear "sting ray" wings. if they were a little farther back, it might actually be an improvement in ergonomics over the stock pro mouse!

whatever, check above, this peripheral mod's posting hinted at the possibility of a 68k upgrade for this POS right from the very start. =8-P

jt .

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 09 Jun 2002 :  13:50:35
We may post PowerMac questions in the Lounge! WoooHoo!!! No more POS MAF!!

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 09 Jun 2002 :  14:06:44
quote:

We may post PowerMac questions in the Lounge! WoooHoo!!! No more POS MAF!!

maybe we should make sure that only members in good standing with a certain minimum number of posts may have the priveledge of posting PPC questions in the lounge. if you comrades were to start hanging here exclusively, there would surely be a major invasion here by info starved hordes of clueless MAF denizens once one of them figures out . . . . ?

! . . . never mind!

jt .

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 09 Jun 2002 :  14:15:29
I was talking to some comrades about nubus Power Macs, many places I notice that 6100s are the most thrown away none used Power Macs, 7100's fall second, you think we should help these out since they are kinda fighting the war with our armor and weapons (nubus slots ) I know at one time I had like 6 6100s! But hey I am not sure it seems that 8100s are doing well but I don't know gives consideration to really open that PowerMac section, and btw how does the Army stand with PowerMacs, are they enemies which I think they are not, or allies or something?

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 09 Jun 2002 :  15:08:55
quote:

. . . consideration to really open that PowerMac section, and btw how does the Army stand with PowerMacs, are they enemies which I think they are not, or allies or something?

i think the designation for those machines is (dumpster ballast) contraband and will remain so for the forseeable future.

jt .

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 10 Jun 2002 :  07:16:53
Well, if you would only look at the (AHEM! New! Improved! Updated!) FAQ on the website...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 13 Jun 2002 :  05:03:15
quote:

I was talking to some comrades about nubus Power Macs, many places I notice that 6100s are the most thrown away none used Power Macs, 7100's fall second, you think we should help these out since they are kinda fighting the war with our armor and weapons (nubus slots ) I know at one time I had like 6 6100s! But hey I am not sure it seems that 8100s are doing well but I don't know gives consideration to really open that PowerMac section, and btw how does the Army stand with PowerMacs, are they enemies which I think they are not, or allies or something?

Exactly. Poor 6100s around the world are being thrown away simply because they are "useless" to most people. Most can't afford to upgrade them to G3s, either. I must say, the Non PCI PPCs really are starting to become lonely and helpless, like 68ks. I recently got a PowerMac 8100/110AV for free, because it is supposed to have a fried mobo, even though it contains good parts, which, if i cannot get this beastie going, will go to my LCs. If the mobo is still good though, i will consider it a liberation and give it lots of TLC and upgrades and stuff till the day the old beast dies. They may not be powered by a 680x0 processor, but they are not our enemies, either. They are our allies, as are all Macintoshes, great and small.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2002 :  20:29:46
well it's now an official 68k enabling upgrade project!

ProMouseADB mod in progress, see hack thread:

topic.asp.TOPIC_ID=1873.html

jt .

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.