All Forums
 The Website Forum
 A humble request
Author Topic  
candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  19:02:43
No one may pay attention to me, but I'd like to ask that no one posts threads at 1024x768 or higher. Even on my iMac, I can't quite see everything on the right side of some threads without a tiny bit of scrolling, and it's especially a problem on my Quadras, as my monitor only runs at 640x480. 800x600 is pretty much OK by me

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  19:17:38
quote:

No one may pay attention to me, but I'd like to ask that no one posts threads at 1024x768 or higher. Even on my iMac, I can't quite see everything on the right side of some threads without a tiny bit of scrolling, and it's especially a problem on my Quadras, as my monitor only runs at 640x480. 800x600 is pretty much OK by me

i'm right here in support!

not that it'll help, as it seems the forum has ideas of its own about the problem you're describing. i'm runnun' 1280 x 960 on a 21" CRT and i have to scroll from side to side when the url bugs decide the post should be about 2.5 gazillion pixels by whatever and sometimes i can't scroll far enough to even see the entire column width!

hey, G-4from the year of the flood! can you see the entire width of those funky wide@$$ posts on that cinema display of yours?

what gives, webbies?

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  19:40:31
quote:

hey, G-4from the year of the flood! can you see the entire width of those funky wide@$$ posts on that cinema display of yours?

Yup!

But I too get a little cranky when the site decides that the window needs to be a zillion pixels wide. Although I have a big monitor, I use every single pixel (and scream for more, but SAF and $ prohibit from tiling the wall with Cinema Displays). Popping the 68kMLA forum window to the full screen messes up my setup of windows. (Plus Netscape sometimes decides that fullscreen is the default window size of a few days for reasons I have yet to understand)

Sorry for the whining,

G4From128k
Warrior Engineer and Trapeze Artist by Day
68kMLA Paratrooper in the CCC by Night

1 Bad Attitude, 2 Original 68ks, 3 Liberated 68ks, 4 Contraband PPCs, 5 HP Calculators, 6 palm-size PDAs, 7 Reasons to shorten the signatureGo to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  22:18:21
Weird happenings, eh? WIth IE 5.1, this post looks great, let me say...

{ candyPunk }
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  23:06:40
LONG LIVE 640x480!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 04 Jun 2002 :  14:48:58
I generally post in 800x600.. probably because I forget to switch it lower.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 04 Jun 2002 :  15:05:23
quote:

I generally post in 800x600.. probably because I forget to switch it lower.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~

yeah, i think most people do. I do.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 04 Jun 2002 :  15:21:38
I did a little horsing about with resizing windows, etc. and came to a few conclusions (I don't clain they are correct conclusions). It seems that the big problem is when someone posts an very long URL with the URL as the text. Like (http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/Mac.html) as opposed to this link which goes to the same place (Nice jump site found by TiMacLover)

When you resize the browser window it refuses to break the long text of the URL across two lines. This makes that posting extra wide, which makes the table for the topic extra wide, which makes all the posting in that topic extra wide, which makes everyone with small monitors extra cranky (or those who have big monitors, but small minds). As near as I can tell the little "Screen Size 800x600" on the posting form does nothing but give you the illusion of control??

The solution, if you can call it a solution, is to avoid posting URLs with long strings of unbroken text in the text-half of the URL format (I suspect that you can still post long URLs as long as you shorten or break-up the text on the second half of the posted URL). Did that make any sense to anyone? Alternative solution is for everyone in the entire world to use Internet Excreter.;

G4From128k

1 Bad Attitude, 2 Original 68ks, 3 Liberated 68ks, 4 Contraband PPCs, 5 HP Calculators, 6 palm-size PDAs, 7 Reasons to shorten the signature

Edited by - g4from128k on 04 Jun 2002 15:23:25Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 04 Jun 2002 :  18:46:04
Well, I don't think it's an URL that does it. I always post at 800x600, but somehow one of my posts (with no links of any kind) got HUGE!

{ candyPunk }
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2002 :  15:32:23
What are you all talking about?
Every post seems the same to me.

And for those of you that do notice, WHY DO WE HAVE THAT RESOLUTION CHOICE TO BEGIN WITH?!?!?

http://scchicago.dynodns.net
MyForumOnDelphi:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/scchicago
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINE
AIM:scchicago87
Yahoo!IM:scchicagoGo to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2002 :  15:59:16
Proof that long strings of unbroken text cause the problem:

(this is a posting with broken text that doesn't cause widescreen mode)

(this is an identical posting with unbroken text that does cause widescreen mode)

Science Triumphs Again!

G4From128k

1 Bad Attitude, 2 Original 68ks, 3 Liberated 68ks, 4 Contraband PPCs, 5 HP Calculators, 6 palm-size PDAs, 7 Reasons to shorten the signature

Edited by - g4from128k on 05 Jun 2002 17:04:15Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2002 :  17:05:58
quote:

Science Triumphs Again!

jt .

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2002 :  18:29:37
quote:
And for those of you that do notice, WHY DO WE HAVE THAT RESOLUTION CHOICE TO BEGIN WITH?!?!?

Exactly.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2002 :  19:37:32
quote:

quote:

Exactly.

where is the setting for resolution choice?

jt .

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 06 Jun 2002 :  06:03:54
quote:

(this is an identical posting with unbroken text that does cause widescreen mode)

Science Triumphs Again!

What are you talking about. They all look the same to me! I have NO broken text! Is this broken text a mac thing? I'm forced to use a PC for the internet because I don't have a modem for my Mac.

MyForumOnDelphi:
Yahoo!IM:scchicagoGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 06 Jun 2002 :  06:13:06
quote:

What are you talking about. They all look the same to me! I have NO broken text! Is this broken text a mac thing? I'm forced to use a PC for the internet because I don't have a modem for my Mac.

methinks you've answered your own question. the forums run under the influence of the dark lord of mordorsoft. your PC is either innured to such stupidity as regards to html incompatiblities or it is simply too enthralled by the forces of the dark side or brain dead from ingesting such toxic code to notice that something is amiss.

jt .

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 06 Jun 2002 :  06:33:43
quote:

quote:

Science Triumphs Again!

MyForumOnDelphi:
Yahoo!IM:scchicago

Apparently I was not very clear(story of my life, I guess).

The first link to the first posting ("broken text") contains a long text string that is "broken" by lots of spaces. It says "broken text broken text broken text ...". The second link to the second posting ("unbroken text") contains a long text string that is "unbroken" by spaces. It says "unbrokentextunbrokentextunbrokentext...".

My copy of Netscape on a Mac refuses to break up the long unbroken text string displayed in the second link (I suspect that others,like candyPunk, have this problem too). The result is that the posting no longer wraps to fit inside the browser window, forcing one to either widen the window or scroll to-and-fro to read the posting. Unfortunately, once Netscape makes one posting into the widescreen format, all other psotings in the topic are in widescreen format.

The point is, if you post a very long URL, please do not put an unbroken copy of the long URL in the text side of the URL format. Recall that the format of an url for posting has two parts: the first part is the actual URL and the second part is the text that will appear as an underlined clickable link. The first part, the URL part can be as long as it needs to be, but the second part (the visible underlined link part) should not contain a very long unbroken line of text. If you put a copy of the long url in the second part, us poor slobs who have not come over to the dark side will have widescreen format foisted on us.

Sigh ... something tells me I'm still not being very clear. Oh Well,

G4From128k

Edited by - g4from128k on 06 Jun 2002 06:35:46Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 06 Jun 2002 :  06:43:39
quote:

Sigh ... something tells me I'm still not being very clear. Oh Well,

a screenshot is worth even a thousand well chosen and artfully arranged subassemblies of 8 bit encoded parsables!

jt .

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 06 Jun 2002 :  07:01:28
quote:

a screenshot is worth even a thousand well chosen and artfully arranged subassemblies of 8 bit encoded parsables!

jt ?.

LOL, thanx for the delightfully arranged subassemblies of 8 bit encoded parsables -- better than coffee in the morning (not that it can replace coffee in the morning.

Hmmm.... a picture is worth a 1,000 words, but it often consumes 10,000 - 100,000 words of memory and bandwidth. Therefore text is 10 to 100 times as resource-efficient as pictures!

G4From128k

1 Bad Attitude, 2 Original 68ks, 3 Liberated 68ks, 4 Contraband PPCs, 5 HP Calculators, 6 palm-size PDAs, 7 Reasons to shorten the signatureGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 06 Jun 2002 :  07:44:01
quote:

Hmmm.... a picture is worth a 1,000 words, but it often consumes 10,000 - 100,000 words of memory and bandwidth. Therefore text is 10 to 100 times as resource-efficient as pictures!

how delightfully IT-Centric and just plain WRONGHEADED an attitude!

the only resources that COUNT are the people spending the time to express themselves or to understand the babblings of others. if the information can be understood or expressed with half the time invested on either side of the pipeline, it doesn't matter if that pipline is a fibre optic datapath or a square rigged sailing ship. computers all wait at the same speed for as long as necessary, but people can only wait so long . . . .

IMHO, of course!

jt .

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 06 Jun 2002 :  07:49:50
quote:

UNCLE! I surrender to your superior barrage of verbiage on the pixels vs. parsables debate. But I did notice that you used words, not pictures, to express yourself.

G4From128k

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 06 Jun 2002 :  07:59:33
quote:

quote:

UNCLE! I surrender to your superior barrage of verbiage on the pixels vs. parsables debate. But I did notice that you used words, not pictures, to express yourself.

=8-P

jt .

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 08 Jun 2002 :  12:18:37
Well, I went into smart-a$$ mode and tried my oh-so brilliant suggestion (shortening/spacing out the text side of jt's big a$$ URL over in The SETI topic). And, being in smart-a$$ mode, I didn't even hit Preview before posting. Then, being the proud arrogant coot that I am, I went to admire my own posting and ....

WTF! BLARG!

The forum's parser that converts square-bracket URL codes into well-formed HTML URLs got really unhappy with that URL. The URL was hosed (lacking the whole google-translator prefix, the topic was in widescreen mode, the target= part of the HTML was screwed up.)

So, I quickly deleted my posting (hope no one saw it ). (All was not lost tho, the system still gave me credit for the posting even after I deleted it! Yaa! )

OK! NOW I'M MAD! I hate it when computers refuse to follow the rules!

After wishing I had jt's framing hammer, I started playing with different URL constructs and found out that the forum parser can't handle nested URLs (where one URL is a prefix for a second URL). Something like:

http://www.domain1.com/anotherURL=http://www.domain2.com/nowwhere

when enclosed in square-brackets'n quotes'n such and posted yields:

http://www.domain2.com/nowwhere" target="_blank">Example nested URL

Had the above worked, you would have seen "Example nested URL" as a blue underline link, but you don't cuz Snitz is on the fritz. You might want to forward this posting to them.

Anyhoo, this bug affects all attempts to post a google-translator URLs, like the one that jt was trying to post. The bug causes the nested URL to be exposed (to show up in blue underline) and then Netscape compounds the problem with its own linebreak bug. (leave it to a conspiracy of bugs to really wreak havoc)

CONCLUSION:

Rule 1) You can post long non-nested URLs, just shorten the textual blue underlined half of the thing (my theory usually works)

Rule 2) Rule 1 does not work with nested URLs, like google-translator URLs. These are just not postable as a clickable link under this versionof Snitz.

Course, now I'm waiting for some third software "feature" to bite me where the sun don't shine.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& Wielder of the Laserwriter Toner Cartridge Magnet of DoomGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 08 Jun 2002 :  12:26:33
quote:

Well, I went into smart-a$$ mode and tried my oh-so brilliant . . .

been there, done that, maybe i should print a batch of t-shirts!

HAR!™ i hate when that happens!

btw: nice sig colonel coot!

jt .

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 08 Jun 2002 :  12:37:40
quote:

quote:

Well, I went into smart-a$$ mode and tried my oh-so brilliant . . .

been there, done that, maybe i should print a batch of t-shirts!

HAR!? i hate when that happens!

btw: nice sig colonel coot!

jt ?.

LOL,

Front of the shirt says "<SMART-A$$ MODE>", and
back of the shirt says "</SMART-A$$ MODE>"

Thanx RE the sig, the burst of rank requistions here at 68kMLA made me get off my serial port and come up with something.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& Wielder of the Laserwriter Toner Cartridge Magnet of DoomGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 08 Jun 2002 :  14:17:56
quote:

LOL,

Front of the shirt says "<SMART-A$$ MODE>", and
back of the shirt says "</SMART-A$$ MODE>"

quote:

Thanx RE the sig, the burst of rank requistions here at 68kMLA made me get off my serial port and come up with something.

me 2!

jt .

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 09 Jun 2002 :  07:08:37
Well at least you can buy a <HAR!>™ T-shirt!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 10 Jun 2002 :  11:46:05
Ok, I finally see what you people are talking about!
G4's links are bad and kept linking me to this thread!
I finally when browsing the site came across those threads that G4 was talking about.

MyForumOnDelphi:
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINEGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.