68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Balloon Help
 SE/30 beef-up project stalled... please help!
Author Topic  
SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2002 :  16:25:32
Well, I've reached a big step in my SE/30 project, but I'm not sure what to do...
I just got my 'new' Mac IIfx ROM chip for it (thanks Tom!), and I just installed it, but now the /30 is not wanting to start up. Since I've installed the fx ROM, now when I power up the /30, the screen shows random garbage for about 20 secs., and then goes to the standard blank grey screen with mouse cursor. It stays there for a few moments, and then goes to a blinking disk/question-mark think. I've tried booting from a system 7.5 floppy, and it either hangs on the "Welcome to Macintosh" screen, or tells me that "this Mac cannot be booted from this system version", or something similar.
Any ideas? I've tried booting from the origional HDD (with the same system that the /30 booted fine from when I first got it), but all it does is the same blinking question-mark thing. What's keeping it from booting? Oh, and I've also tried putting the SE/30 ROM back in, with the exact same results as the IIfx ROM. Arrrgh!
SpaceBoy

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
PMac 7100/G3-266, "DEC Rainbow" and "Altair 8800"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
iMac Rev.A/333mHz, "Deep Blue"
Newton 120, "PADD"

ido

Israel
57 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2002 :  03:29:04
Hi SpaceBoy,
sorry for going off topic, but i was thinking on doing an SE/30 beef-up myself and trying to reach the ultimate compact mac. so, is that ROM needed in order to load a newer system or because of the memory thingy?
so, are you going full monty and loading it up with 128Mb of ram? putting an accl. card on it? replacing the HDD? anything more?

ido.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2002 :  03:53:36
To make an SE/30 32 bit clean, you need ROMs from a IIsi, and nothing else. Using the wrong ROMs on the wrong system can screw your motherboard.

Sorry to give you the bad news dude.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2002 :  11:40:22
quote:
To make an SE/30 32 bit clean, you need ROMs from a IIsi, and nothing else.

Well, I'm pretty dame sure that both a Mac IIsi and a Mac IIfx ROM will both work in the SE/30. Just look at LowEndMac's page on the SE/30: http://www.lowendmac.com/compact/se30.shtml They mention that both a IIsi and IIfx ROMs should work...
As for what I'm attempting, I've upped the RAM to 32 megs, replaced the stock 40-meg HHD with a 2-gig drive, and am trying to get a IIfx ROM to work. And yes, the newer ROMs are needed to be both 32-bit clean and load newer system versions (I think...).
Thanks for the thoughts, guys!
SpaceBoy

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2002 :  12:02:54
quote:

As for what I'm attempting, I've upped the RAM to 32 megs, replaced the stock 40-meg HHD with a 2-gig drive, and am trying to get a IIfx ROM to work. And yes, the newer ROMs are needed to be both 32-bit clean and load newer system versions (I think...).

when did you upgrade the RAM and did the new memory work before you installed the IIfx ROM-SIMM?

were you using Mode32 to clean up the ROMs in software if it WAS working correctly?

are they PAL SIMMs and is that what you need when running with the IIfx 32bit clean ROMs?

take it back down to 8 MB and see if it'll work after trying to boot with extensions off in all configs first.

were you wearing an anti-static strap or keeping yourself grounded to the chassis at all times?

could you have zapped something into oblivion?

more info needed!

jt . .

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 26 May 2002 12:05:37Go to Top of Page

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2002 :  17:28:51
quote:
when did you upgrade the RAM and did the new memory work before you installed the IIfx ROM-SIMM?

Well, before I messed with the ROM and swapped hard drives, I made sure that the RAM all worked. It showed 32 megs in "About this Mac", but since I didn't have the newer ROMs or Mode32, most of the extra RAM was 'eaten' by the System. Still, I'm pretty sure the RAM is working.
quote:
were you using Mode32 to clean up the ROMs in software if it WAS working correctly?

See above...
quote:
take it back down to 8 MB and see if it'll work after trying to boot with extensions off in all configs first.

Good idea, I'll try that tomorrow.
quote:
were you wearing an anti-static strap or keeping yourself grounded to the chassis at all times?

Well, I've done my best with what i've got. The grounding in this appartment it... questionable. I've made sure to touch my doorknob every couple of min., which usually gives me a good zap. None of the outlets are grounded, from what I can tell.
quote:

I sure hope not!!!
Thanks,
SpaceBoy

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2002 :  18:29:09
I wish you the best of luck.
I don't even know how to get into my compact mac!!
Obviously you know.
Please tell!

http://scchicago.dynodns.net
MyForumOnDelphi:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/scchicago
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINE
AIM:scchicago87
Yahoo!IM:scchicagoGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2002 :  18:41:22
quote:

I wish you the best of luck.
Obviously you know.
Please tell!

topic.asp.TOPIC_ID=1363.html

i don't understand why not, there were pictures and everything! what wasn't clear?

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2002 :  18:45:32
quote:
Obviously you know.
Please tell!

Here you go!:
1) Get big hammer
2) Drink 6-pak of Jolt Cola
3) Watch a really sad movie, that makes you bitter and angry at the world
4) Using the big hammer, carefully type in this URL: http://macfaq.org/hardware/misc.shtml#Q2.8.3
5) While coming down from your emotional tempest and caffine high, carefully read the directions on the above page, which go into great detail on the procedures for properly opening a compact Mac.
6) Have fun!

SpaceBoy
PS

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2002 :  19:17:27
quote:

quote:

Well, I've done my best with what i've got. The grounding in this appartment it... questionable. I've made sure to touch my doorknob every couple of min., which usually gives me a good zap. None of the outlets are grounded, from what I can tell.
quote:

I sure hope not!!!

you probably know this already, but make sure to keep one hand on the bare metal of the SE's chassis at all times while you're working with the mobo, cards or SIMMs.

is there any plumbing in the ceiling, the floor or a wall adjoining the room where you work on your macs? sounds like a grounding clamp and a little bare copper snaked to your outlet for grounding would make your life a LOT easier.

you also might want to try just pulling one bank (B?) of SIMMS out before taking it all the way down to 8 Megs, if it doesn't work the first time swap them and try again.

does anybody know about the SE/30 and PAL SIMMS? i don't feel like doing the research! were the SIMMs you got from a PC, another Mac or from an unknown quantity? i checked LEM anyway and the IIx needs the PAL SIMMS according to them, but they didn't mention it in the articles about tha SE/30.

sounds like 7.0.1 or 7.1 is what you should be trying to get it to boot from to start with, what O.S. are you currently using on your '30? you might also make sure you do an install for any macintosh, because the freakin' thing probably hasn't got a clue what it is supposed to be!

who'se got a IIsi? are the ROMs soldered or socketed?

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2002 :  21:37:27
quote:
there any plumbing in the ceiling, the floor or a wall adjoining the room where you work on your macs? sounds like a grounding clamp and a little bare copper snaked to your outlet for grounding would make your life a LOT easier.

This ain't a bad idea- I might try that. None of the outlets in this appartment have the extra grounding hole, so I have to use a power-strip to plug any of my computer stuff in. Grrrr.

quote:
sounds like 7.0.1 or 7.1 is what you should be trying to get it to boot from to start with, what O.S. are you currently using on your '30? you might also make sure you do an install for any macintosh, because the freakin' thing probably hasn't got a clue what it is supposed to be!

I've tried booting it both from the 2-gig drive (before and after the ROM switch), which didn't work. I've got a copy of System 7.1 (I think...) on that drive, but it never worked. Since the ROM switch, I've also tried booting from the 40-meg drive that was in the /30 to begin with, but it will only do the blinking "?" thing. I'll try some more tomorrow, but that's pretty much where it stands at the moment.
Thanks,
SpaceBoy

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2002 :  21:59:18
quote:

quote:
there any plumbing in the ceiling, the floor or a wall adjoining the room where you work on your macs? sounds like a grounding clamp and a little bare copper snaked to your outlet for grounding would make your life a LOT easier.

This ain't a bad idea- I might try that. None of the outlets in this appartment have the extra grounding hole, so I have to use a power-strip to plug any of my computer stuff in. Grrrr.

make sure your mods are ok according to the local electrical code before doing anything. are the boxes metal? if so, they probably ARE grounded, you should be using the center screw holding the cover plate on with a grounding adapter for your power strip, that's the first thing to try! lack of the third hole doesn't entirely rule out availability of a good ground. from your previous comments i had thought you tested the grounding on the boxes already, they may be fine.

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2002 :  22:44:37
quote:
make sure your mods are ok according to the local electrical code before doing anything. are the boxes metal? if so, they probably ARE grounded, you should be using the center screw holding the cover plate on with a grounding adapter for your power strip, that's the first thing to try! lack of the third hole doesn't entirely rule out availability of a good ground. from your previous comments i had thought you tested the grounding on the boxes already, they may be fine.

Ahh, I'll have to check that out...
Again, thanks for all the helpfull info! I sure hope I haven't zapped my /30 into the Great Junk Bin In The Sky, but if I have, by properly grounding my future projects, maybe I can avoid doing so again.
Later,
SpaceBoy

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.