Balloon Help
 Please help me save my "classic II"!
Author Topic  
ido

Israel
57 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2002 :  05:02:20
Hi,
a few days ago i got an old "classic II" (can you belive someone was actually going to throw it away?!?) but it didn't work properly. when i turned it on i heard a "ping!", the screen lite up, and there was an image of a floopy disk with a "?" blinking in it on the screen. i tryied to download the "system 7.0.1" floopy images from apple, but when i inserted the first floopy disk to the drive the "classic II" just wouldn't accept it (it showed the floopy image with an "X" inside it), probebly because it was made on a PC.
anyway, i opened up the case just to see what was going on in there. it was very dusty, so i used compresed air to clean it. after i had put it back together, i turned it on again - but there was no "ping!" this time! and only half the screen was lite up! what have i done?!? have i completely broken it? can it be repaired?

Edited by - ido on 22 May 2002 05:04:10

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2002 :  10:57:44
Well, I'm no expert on compact Mac's (I'm currently working on my SE/30), but I'd say that you either bumped the RAM loose, or didn't fully re-connect some of the cables (like from the power supply to the motherboard). Check these two things. If it's still not working, and you've made sure the RAM is 'clicked in' and the cables are securely seated, then let us know and we'll try some other ideas...
Hope this helps,
SpaceBoy
PS Be very very very very careful not to touch the back of the CRT (screen)- it could kill you! Please, please don't kill yourself tinkering with your old Mac!

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
PMac 7100/G3-266, "DEC Rainbow" and "Altair 8800"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
iMac Rev.A/333mHz, "Deep Blue"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2002 :  11:38:09
DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST!

topic.asp.TOPIC_ID=1363.html

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2002 :  11:40:39
W.R.T. the hardware, ditto what SpaceBoy says. Make sure that everything got put together again properly (and don't kill yourself on the CRT!), and if that doesn't work then we try stronger measures.

As for the software: you're right. The fact that you downloaded those images on a PC is probably the source of your woes. How exactly did you try to make disks from those images?

GORDOOM
Commander, Academic Operations Reserve
(University of Toronto, St. George Campus)
total Macs liberated: 14
(as of January 7, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."Go to Top of Page

ido

Israel
57 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2002 :  23:53:35
quote:
How exactly did you try to make disks from those images?

i've turned them from .bin to .image using 'StuffIt Expander'.
i copyed the image using dd, but it seems the images are a bit bigger then the floopy.

quote:
I'd say that you either bumped the RAM loose, or didn't fully re-connect some of the cables (like from the power supply to the motherboard). Check these two things.

thanks, i'll try that.

quote:
DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST!
topic.asp.TOPIC_ID=1363.html

ok, i'll read it before i open it up again.

thanks guys.

Go to Top of Page

ido

Israel
57 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2002 :  00:57:23
YES!!!!! i've got the hardware part working again! the mac is pinging again, i can see the mouse cursor... now i'll start working on the software side.

Go to Top of Page

ido

Israel
57 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2002 :  03:32:15
Ok, so how can i get the 'system 7.0.1' floopy images onto floopys using a PC?
the problem is that the images seems to be a bit to big - there isn't enough space on the floopys. what can i do?

Go to Top of Page

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2002 :  05:23:57
You can't just make a disk from an image by copying the image to the disk. What you need to do is use an application called DiskCopy to make a disk from the image. That means that you need to get hold of a working Mac and transfer the image files to that computer.

1. Transfer the .sit files (not the unstuffed .image files!) to a working Mac.
2. Use StuffIt Expander to unstuff the .sit files, giving you the .image files once again.
3. Use DiskCopy to make disks from the image files.

You will then have a working set of Mac OS 7.0.1 installer disks.

GORDOOM
Commander, Academic Operations Reserve
(University of Toronto, St. George Campus)
total Macs liberated: 14
(as of January 7, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2002 :  05:58:31
quote:

You can't just make a disk from an image by copying the image to the disk. What you need to do is use an application called DiskCopy to make a disk from the image. That means that you need to get hold of a working Mac and transfer the image files to that computer.

1. Transfer the .sit files (not the unstuffed .image files!) to a working Mac.
2. Use StuffIt Expander to unstuff the .sit files, giving you the .image files once again.
3. Use DiskCopy to make disks from the image files.

You will then have a working set of Mac OS 7.0.1 installer disks.

or find the gamba link on the website and follow one of the howtos for making mac disks on a pc as a last resort!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

ido

Israel
57 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2002 :  07:35:01
ok, i have mac system 7.0.1 .
but - i have a problem formating the hard drive:
i insert the 'disk tools' disk, go to 'install hard drive', it says:
"Apple HD SC Setup vHB1-7.0.1"
"SCSI Device: 0"
"drive"

anyway, i press "Format", it says "Format will erase the data bla bla bla...." i press "Format", it shows a black and white rotating circle... i can hear the hard drive being accessed, it says: "Formating Disk...Checking Format" and after a while: "Can't Format the Disk. Can't load work space". please excuss any grammer mistakes, i'm translating from the hebrew version of system 7... so what now?

Go to Top of Page

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2002 :  18:51:31
My guess is that it's something analogous to in English, "Initialisation failed..."

I would say that most likely the HD is dead. Does anyone else have any other thoughts?Go to Top of Page

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2002 :  20:07:55
quote:
My guess is that it's something analogous to in English, "Initialisation failed..." I would say that most likely the HD is dead. Does anyone else have any other thoughts?

Again, I'm no expert, but this sounds about right to me. If the drive really is dead, I've got a spare 40 (or was it 80?) meg drive, fresh from my SE/30 that I've got no plans for. If you need to replace the drive, let me know and we can work out a trade/sale/donation.
Hope this works out for you!

SpaceBoy

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"

ido

Israel
57 Posts
Posted - 24 May 2002 :  00:13:11
quote:
My guess is that it's something analogous to in English, "Initialisation failed..."

I would say that most likely the HD is dead.

but i can hear the hard drive working in the "Formating Disk...Checking Format" phase... and that phase lasts a minute or two. maybe it's just a bad sector or something?

quote:
If the drive really is dead, I've got a spare 40 (or was it 80?) meg drive, fresh from my SE/30 that I've got no plans for. If you need to replace the drive, let me know and we can work out a trade/sale/donation.
Hope this works out for you!

thanks a lot SpaceBoy! if the hard drive is really dead i would need a new (or old...) drive.

Go to Top of Page

ido

Israel
57 Posts
Posted - 24 May 2002 :  00:51:43
quote:
let me know and we can work out a trade/sale/donation.

let me see what we have here that i don't need... do you want an "Apple Bus Mouse II" or an "Apple Extended Keyboard II"? as far as i can tell they'r in perfect condition... i also have a spare "Apple Bus Mouse" (the first one) but the clicker isn't working. i *might* come across a few "SE"s\"SE/30"s\"classic"s\"classic II"s, but only if that cheap $#^!# computer repair lab manager will finely throw them away... and then i'll pick'em up on their way to the dumpster! from what he says non of them work, but i don't know how hard he tryed to make them work... i've also seen a "classic color" in there. i'm hopeing on salveging those.

Go to Top of Page

ido

Israel
57 Posts
Posted - 24 May 2002 :  04:06:42
quote:

i've downloaded the english version, now it says:
"Initializing disk... formatting in progress."
about two minuets later(i can hear the hard drive moving):
"Updating driver.... in progress."
a new window opens:
"The disk could not be initialized.
Unable to mount volume."

when i press "test" it says:
"Testing the disk will take several minutes bla bla bla..."
i pressed "OK"
a new window opens:
"The drive failed its test.
Problems writing data to drive"

Edited by - ido on 24 May 2002 04:09:42Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 24 May 2002 :  04:25:27
quote:

quote:

i've downloaded the english version, now it says:
"Initializing disk... formatting in progress."
about two minuets later(i can hear the hard drive moving):
"Updating driver.... in progress."
a new window opens:
"The disk could not be initialized.
Unable to mount volume."

when i press "test" it says:
"Testing the disk will take several minutes bla bla bla..."
i pressed "OK"
a new window opens:
"The drive failed its test.
Problems writing data to drive"

Edited by - ido on 24 May 2002 04:09:42

Sorry to say it, but i think your drive has gone to that great big pile of hard drives in the sky....

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

ido

Israel
57 Posts
Posted - 24 May 2002 :  05:05:11
quote:
Sorry to say it, but i think your drive has gone to that great big pile of hard drives in the sky....

i figured that's what probebly happend. oh well, might get a bunch of SEs to scavenge for parts soon. i hope it'll be soon...

Go to Top of Page

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 24 May 2002 :  10:37:06
Well, it sounds like the drive in your Classic is dead, but if you've got a supply of SE's and similar computers where you are, maybe it'd be more enonomical for you to salvage a 'new'drive from one of those, instead of trading with me- it'd save a lot on shipping, at least. Otherwise, let me know and we'll still work out a trade... I could use that Extended Keyboard II (best keyboard ever, right up there with the PowerBook 1400, IMHO).
Best of luck!
SpaceBoy
PS Of course, if you can get one of those Color Classics, I'd be happy to trade for one of those.... drooool....

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 24 May 2002 :  15:52:31
I hope I'm not off-topic here, but since you mentioned boot disks, does a Disk Tools/System install floppy need to be a mac format? I've had similar problems with my Duo and SE, should I reformat it using Disk Utilities?

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

ido

Israel
57 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2002 :  11:53:13
quote:
but if you've got a supply of SE's and similar computers where you are, maybe it'd be more enonomical for you to salvage a 'new'drive from one of those, instead of trading with me- it'd save a lot on shipping, at least.

yup, i sure hope i will get those SEs soon... if at all.

quote:
I could use that Extended Keyboard II (best keyboard ever, right up there with the PowerBook 1400, IMHO).

i will send you the keyboard for free but you'll have to pay for the FedEx. i have no use for it. email me @:
ido@plasma-gate.weizmann.ac.il

quote:
PS Of course, if you can get one of those Color Classics, I'd be happy to trade for one of those.... drooool....

huh! that one is for me! sorry, you'll have to get your own...

quote:
does a Disk Tools/System install floppy need to be a mac format?

yes.

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2002 :  20:01:22
Heh...that really should have been obvious, shouldn't it?

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.