68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:17
ENTER THROUGH THE GATES

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 09 Apr 2002 :  16:02:03
Well, first you line up the Mac's case with your car's axle, then start drilling pilot holes...

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 09 Apr 2002 :  16:27:53
You need a mac with lots of slots (nubus or PCI). Get lots of ethernet cards. Get IPNetrouter ($20 shareware, I think). Plug ethernet cables into the cards. Leave it on all the time.

It might not be perfect with a 68k mac, as the II's and IIfx's (I think...) were the only ones with more than 3 slots and they aren't very fast. Oh, the Q950 may have had a few more than 3, but it's still just an 040. No powerhouse. I'm not sure what kind of bandwidth you'd get. Plus, there wouldn't be 10/100 enet cards availble for nubus macs, and that would limit performance with any newer computers that you hooked up. I guess the real preformance loss would come witht the speed of the computer, though, which is a big limitation with 68k's. I bet it would be cheaper and easier to just put together $80 and buy a real one. I think this whole thing is best for those interested in having cool stuff around and will pay a bit to do it. Ti, I know how your budget is limited...boy do I know! Gonna pay me or what?

Did Marchie do this with a Mac II? Anyone have any real info on how feasible it is?

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 09 Apr 2002 :  16:33:43
There are 10/100 Nubus ethernet cards, athough they're rare and expensive. The processor speed of the computer used actually has very little to do with its performace, however. What is important, is RAM, and this is why a IIfx with 128MB of RAM or a Q950 with 256MB of RAM and five ethernet cards would make great IP Hubs.

As a matter of fact, my own IIfx is going to become an ethernet hub, as soon as I get four more ethernet cards and get it up and running!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!

Edited by - cinemafia on 09 Apr 2002 16:34:27Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 09 Apr 2002 :  18:35:34
quote:

Oh, the Q950 may have had a few more than 3, but it's still just an 040. No powerhouse.

Aaarrrgghh!
I CHALLENGE YOU TO A DUEL!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberatedGo to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 09 Apr 2002 :  19:15:09
quote:

quote:

Oh, the Q950 may have had a few more than 3, but it's still just an 040. No powerhouse.

Aaarrrgghh!
I CHALLENGE YOU TO A DUEL!

Don't worry bro' *turns around, looks on to Quadra 650 and 605*
I got your back

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 10 Apr 2002 :  17:43:26
EXCUSE ME??

The Quadra 950 is NO POWERHOUSE?

Maybe it's not if you are trying to do the next version of Toy Story, but exactly HOW do you get off saying it's not a power house in other respects? What are you trying to do? Run OS X??

And JT was right. The processor speed has little to do with the performance of a Mac II ROUTER (we are talking of making a ROUTER here, NOT a hub)

Many Cisco routers STILL USE the Motorola 68k chips as their main procesors.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 10 Apr 2002 :  17:57:11
quote:

And JT was right. The processor speed has little to do with the performance of a Mac II ROUTER (we are talking of making a ROUTER here, NOT a hub)

actually that was cinemo, i was staying out of this one until you brought up the differences between hubs and routers. since you're the resident networking boffin, would you mind starting a Hub/Router topic in 68k Peripherals, marchie?

i'm up to my hips in IIfx's and network cards lately and i'd like to utilize a couple of them for something interesting. the reason for proc speed affecting the two differently would be MOST helpful, as well as a simple explanation of the different applications and maybe a couple of link recommendations. i wouldn't know where to start researching on this one.

jt ™

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 10 Apr 2002 :  20:45:57
From what I understand, there's no simple way (ie. shareware app) to have the computer distribute AppleTalk packets over all the ethernet cards. There is, however, a program that will allow you to route incoming TCP/IP packets (internet) to the various ports connected to it.

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2002 :  15:10:27
I beleive IPNetRouter will create AppleTalk bridges over ports. AppleShare IP does as well, but we all know how much that costs.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2002 :  23:14:56
quote:

EXCUSE ME??

Maybe it's not if you are trying to do the next version of Toy Story, but exactly HOW do you get off saying it's not a power house in other respects? What are you trying to do? Run OS X??

Hey, it's not like I said I wouldn't want one! I just didn't know that the processor speed wasn't important for the router. It seemed to me like it should be. Sure, it's a great mac, no denying that.

{ candyPunk }

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2002 :  03:07:16
quote:

quote:

EXCUSE ME??

Hey, it's not like I said I wouldn't want one! I just didn't know that the processor speed wasn't important for the router. It seemed to me like it should be. Sure, it's a great mac, no denying that.

{ candyPunk }
{ My baby: Q660av }

Weird...i thought processor speed was crucial too, because when i'm copying large files from my LocalTalk network to my iMac, using my LC630 as a bridge, it bogs down the 630 like a 4WD in quicksand.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6!!!

QFW68KPB Project SUCCESS!!!!!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2002 :  04:01:46
quote:

Weird...i thought processor speed was crucial too, because when i'm copying large files from my LocalTalk network to my iMac, using my LC630 as a bridge, it bogs down the 630 like a 4WD in quicksand.

RAM config?

jt ™

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2002 :  05:39:52
quote:

quote:

RAM config?

jt ™

I have the full 36 megs. I can't put in more because my 630 has the mobo that only has one SIMM slot, and even though there's solder pads for another, i ain't game enough to even THINK about taking a soldering iron to my baby!

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2002 :  09:11:54
quote:

quote:

quote:

RAM config?

jt ™

I have the full 36 megs. I can't put in more because my 630 has the mobo that only has one SIMM slot, and even though there's solder pads for another, i ain't game enough to even THINK about taking a soldering iron to my baby!

count pads, that's probably where the ROM SIMM socket goes. the only ones with two RAM SIMMS were the PC compatables which were a completely different design. this is the one instance where Apples well documented mobo laming practices were not actually malicious! i was angry with them for a long time until very recently about the empty pads on my 630.

jt ™

Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2002 :  13:43:51
quote:

~Marchie

Didn't think to address this earlier...
Do they use the same speed 68k's that were used in macs? The 040 is apparantly running at about 1.9ghz now. I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that a 68k chip was in a cisco router, but I'd be a little surprised to find out that it ran at 25mhz. Clock speed may not be the perfect measure of speed as we can see with PPC vs Intel but that's going a little far! You probably know more than I do, though. That often seems to be the case around here!

{ candyPunk }

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2002 :  15:21:51
quote:

You probably know more than I do, though. That often seems to be the case around here!

Why the heck would ANYBODY hang out or bother to contribute to these forums if they didn't feel like most of the troops knew at least a little, preferably a LOT more than they did about many things. I sure wouldn't bother with it if that were the case! It would be a terrible waste of time if I didn't think there was a lot to be learned from all my comrades in the 68kMLA!

jt ™. .

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2002 :  16:09:25
quote:

count pads, that's probably where the ROM SIMM socket goes. the only ones with two RAM SIMMS were the PC compatables which were a completely different design. this is the one instance where Apples well documented mobo laming practices were not actually malicious! i was angry with them for a long time until very recently about the empty pads on my 630.

It is a RAM SIMM socket, i know because i counted the pins, all 72 of 'em are there. Also, I remember LowEndMac has a writeup about adding the second slot, so you can boost your RAM to 52 meg. Also, on the logic boards that have the RAM, the second socket is in the same place. I've never heard anything about a ROM SIMM for the 630s.

P.S: The LC630 DOS Compatible is based on the same design. It just has one big honkin' DOS card plugged into the CPU and PDS slots. If you removed these two cards (its two cards), you would have a normal plain-jane Performa 580 board, as i've read that all/most 580s used the 2-slot board.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2002 :  17:05:44
quote:

quote:

It is a RAM SIMM socket, i know because i counted the pins, all 72 of 'em are there. Also, I remember LowEndMac has a writeup about adding the second slot, so you can boost your RAM to 52 meg.

that's cool! then you probably have the DOS compatable version that WAS lamed. LEM clearly states on another page that the Q630 and the DOS compatable 6XX series mobos were two entirely different architectures, i have an example of the Q630 with pads for a ROM SIMM installation. i would not be at all surprised to find that the Q630 mobo was discontinued and that lamed DOS compatable mobos were substituted in later production runs which would account for the differences between our 630 mobos. what is the copyright date and the part number on your mobo? The comparison of production dates correlated with part numbers and architectural fingerprints could very well lead to an interesting technical article!

i'd appreciate a link to that LEM page and i'll find post link to the one i'm talking about. the maniac and i had discussion of this issue in a previous thread, i'll link to that topic also! does anybody else remember info or links to add to the mix?

jt ™. .

back again: the discussion has another link to the info i was talking about, the LEM pages are noncommital on the subject:
topic.asp.TOPIC_ID=569.html

i think i found the page you mentioned:
http://www.lowendmac.com/quadra/630ram.shtml
the info in this article is only partially accurate, not all 630 mobos have the pads for the second socket. if they are like yours, they probably have the pads for the sound input socket also, (might be video, i would need to check my boards to be sure) which is definitely lacking on the earlier (?) SIMM pad mobo variant. i'll make a list of identifying characteristics of my boards for comparison. it's playtime!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 13 Apr 2002 17:23:24Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2002 :  22:58:57
quote:

Do they use the same speed 68k's that were used in macs? The 040 is apparantly running at about 1.9ghz now.

That was an April 1st joke, remember?

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2002 :  23:43:28
quote:

quote:

Do they use the same speed 68k's that were used in macs? The 040 is apparantly running at about 1.9ghz now.

That was an April 1st joke, remember?

i thought that markymark was saying that the new embedded processor variants of the 040 we REALLY running that fast! that other thing was definitely a 4/1 gag, but there's no reason the family shouldn't be pushing multiple gigahertz tick rates on modern die fab-process scales!

jt ™. .

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 14 Apr 2002 :  00:30:14
Well, it seems to be an antithesis of Motorola to increase core frequency without regard for pipeline stages... we all know that Intel does it, which is why the P4 'su><0rs'!

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 14 Apr 2002 :  15:08:13
quote:

[quote]

i thought that markymark was saying that the new embedded processor variants of the 040 we REALLY running that fast! that other thing was definitely a 4/1 gag, but there's no reason the family shouldn't be pushing multiple gigahertz tick rates on modern die fab-process scales!

jt ™. .

I took it the same way JT did! Talk about egg on my face! I just can't win around here!

{ candyPunk }

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.