Balloon Help
 Quadra on the net?
Author Topic  
Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 06 Feb 2002 :  15:14:53
Can any of the following Quadra's use the internet?
840, 950, 630? And do I need an adapter to connect one of them to a new style ethernet? (not AAUI)

68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Christophillis-
Privite First Class
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 4

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 06 Feb 2002 :  15:41:49
Yes, all of the Quadras you mentioned can get on the internet. With the 950 and 840, you can either get an AAUI to RJ-45 adapter or get a Nubus ethernet card that has a RJ-45 port already in it. I was planning on doing some tests to see which is faster, as even though AAUI is rated at 10bt I have a feeling that it provides at least a bit of a bottleneck, but haven't gotten around to it. So, for our purposes, we'll pretend that both are equally fast. If you're using the 840, you may want to use an AAUI to RJ-45 adapter as you only have 3 nubus slots and if you're like me, they're all filled already. In the 950, you have alot of nubus slots so getting a nubus ethernet card isn't such a big deal.

Now, the Quadra 630 on the other hand has two very different options. One is to get a Comm Slot I ethernet card, the other is to get a LC PDS ethernet card. I'd reccomend the Comm Slot card, because then you have a choice of putting a video card or tv tuner card in the LC PDS slot. JT mentioned there being a possible speed difference between the two, but, alas, no one has done any cross-testing yet.

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 06 Feb 2002 :  18:38:56
quote:

I'd reccomend the Comm Slot card, because then you have a choice of putting a video card or tv tuner card in the LC PDS slot. JT mentioned there being a possible speed difference between the two, but, alas, no one has done any cross-testing yet.

I'd have recommended the same until today, but now I'd say to get the 10bt LC PDS card to play it safe. There might not be any difference on the 630, but you could also use the PDS card in a 605/475 which have much better video circuitry than the 630. If you happen to tun across an X200 you would definitely not want to put a 10bt card in the com slot. I do not yet know if or how much better a PDS card would be, but it's hard to imagine anything being worse than ethernet via the com slot of a "road apple".

You'd want the TV/Video/Remote Control system that goes in the special video slot & tuner bay in the 630. If you do get one you'll rarely use any other setting than the optimal games/video resolution-640x480/16bit which looks fabulous on the kid's 17" and really nice on my 20" monitor. The PDS video cards don't offer much higher resolution than onboard video and 8/16bit depth is enough for anything you wouldn't want a 6360/6400 or 5500/6500 mobo with a PCI video card for anyway.

IMHO, of course,
jt

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 06 Feb 2002 :  22:18:02
I just decided that I haven't got a clue as to what is going on with the 630 series, still love 'em, never gonna understand 'em. I'm going to have to try to get my 630 up and test the 605's 10bt card in it. Last time I tried it it was on strike.....or DOA...... The page I linked and quoted below has some of the best info I've found yet on these machines. Maybe the Comm slot is the way to go? dunno.....

http://www.wiu.edu/users/mujde/macintosh/CpuSpecs.txt/630.notes.txt

quote:

Daniel Rabe (drabe@MCS.COM) wrote:
: I'm shopping for an ethernet card for a Quadra 630. There seem to be at
: least two options: use the PDS slot, or the "Communications" slot (I
: think Dayna makes a card for the latter). What are the advantages or
: disadvantages of either option? Is performance comparable in both
: cases? One popular manufacturer seems to be Sonic... I haven't used
: any of their products before. Any positive/negative experiences with
: them that I should know about?

Daniel... I tried a PDS slot card and it never worked properly (mainly
because they were easy to find, whereas the Apple card was not). It
was nothing but trouble. I'd get huge delays followed by short bursts
of proper function. After a fruitless week on the phone with tech
support, I returned it, got Apple's CS Slot card and have been 100%
satisfied ever since. Also, the Apple card was $15 cheaper. Now
that's a deal!

The big value, of course, if that if you ever want to plug something
into your PDS slot (like, say, a Power PC upgrade), you won't have to
throw out your network card.

For a Q630, getting the CS slot card is DEFINITELY the way to go.

/jon

I wish I knew what card he was using, the company's card he had trouble with. I found recommendations for old cards at this site:
http://www.carleton.edu/campus/ITS/resnet/info/oldmacnic.html
I've had several cards from Asante and Farallon and I've never had trouble with any of them. If anybody finds more info, please post.
my head hurts....yet again......
jt

p.s. The page says the DOS compatibles are completely different than the Q630's, he's right, the info I had before was wrong. I'm lost, I noticed a difference in the number of pads on the unimplemented slot on my Q630 mobo, as compared to the SIMM slot. I read earlier today that the 630's video is based on the 605's, so I was hoping maybe the "second SIMM slot" might be for a VRAM card, nope, pin count matches the ROM slot on the 605, dammit!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 06 Feb 2002 22:24:30Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 07 Feb 2002 :  09:05:38
I think getting a Comm Slot I card is still the best idea for a 630. The Comm Slot only serves one purpose, either through ethernet or modem, whereas the PDS slot is designed as a catch-all. The Ethernet MicroDock I have that I was using with my Duos through their PDS slot (while they were functional) was quirky, and quite slow, even over a T1. If I weren't adamant about resurrecting my Duo 280c someday, I'd probably re-sell it, as it's such a valuable little doo-dad.

666th poster to the

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 07 Feb 2002 :  09:37:28
quote:

I think getting a Comm Slot I card is still the best idea for a 630.....

You might very well be right, Has anyone else had any problems with ethernet? Names of mft/product would be helpful if we can compile some info.

quote:

The Ethernet MicroDock I have that I was using with my Duos through their PDS slot (while they were functional) was quirky, and quite slow, even over a T1.

Don't understand why it should be worse than a dock/card/whatever, same bridge & pds interface, have you tested the 040 Duo on any other 10bt interface thru a dock?

btw, nice micro-d-toy! *iwannit-iwannit-iwannit-ishouldcalldibsifhe sellsit! ........ don't wanna to look like a ....... sigh ....*

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 07 Feb 2002 :  09:47:40
No, the Duos died before I could ever cross-test them with anything else. All I remember is that loading pages seemed slower over a T1 than it does at home on my 1.5Mbps cable line using my Quadra 840av. 'Course, there's a whole lotta other factors there...

Don't think I'm putting down the EtherMicroDock, though, it's still a very cool and compact toy. If and when I transplant a new mobo into my 280c, it will once again be my Mac outlet at work. Even with fascist overseers, a Duo and MicroDock can very quickly be disconnected from the T1 and stowed under my desk in the event of gestappo ambush, unlike a bulky MiniDock with ethernet or god forbid a full Dock with either AAUI or an ethernet nubus card.

666th poster to the

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 07 Feb 2002 :  09:58:05
quote:

....a Duo and MicroDock can very quickly be disconnected from the T1 and stowed under my desk in the event of gestappo ambush, unlike a bulky MiniDock with ethernet or god forbid a full Dock with either AAUI or an ethernet nubus card.

strap a dock/KVM switch/10btlinkw/wire under your desk, insert/flip/plug/surf! *.....|<8-} = lunatic in dunce cap w/propeller.......that's me!.... get my ...?.... fired!* .......never mind, just takin' the undercover bit a might too far! *for a change!....LOL!*

jt

Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 07 Feb 2002 :  17:20:13
Umm a question for you both. How come every post that I put up both of you guys start conversing about totaly different things. Not that it is bad or anything... I just wondered.

Christophillis-
Privite First Class
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 07 Feb 2002 :  18:08:46
quote:

Umm a question for you both. How come every post that I put up both of you guys start conversing about totaly different things. Not that it is bad or anything... I just wondered.

stream of consciousness ..... distractability .............. boredom ................. procrastination .......................... the usual!
jt
we usually cover the basics though, don't we?

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2002 :  06:14:31
For the 630, i'd say definately get the CommSlot card. I am currently in the process of getting one for mine, because my LC PDS heap of crap was DOA (oh well, i got the Mac for free), and i need to transfer all my stuff to my iMac, seeing as though i just put a 40 gig in the iMac. I'm not sure about the performance, but i'd say that its probably somewhere between that of a PDS ethernet card, and that of a NuBus card, but i haven't used one yet, so i wouldn't know. By the way, all those Quads can go on the net. I have my 630 on the net and i have installed:

Mac OS 8.1
Netscape Navigator 4.0
Claris Emailer 2
OpenTransport 1.1.2.

Through a 14.4 Geoport modem, this setup works great, and its a lot better than i thought it would!

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2002 :  09:35:08
quote:

I think JT is my foil, and we just collide like atoms in a particle accelerator and end up going off on more tangets than a speed-talker with amnesia.

666th poster to the

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2002 :  09:58:39
quote:

I think JT is my foil, and we just collide like atoms in a particle accelerator and end up going off on more tangets than a speed-talker with amnesia.

Actually, more like an epee, heavier, slower and too dull to remember a password! something took a bite outta my cookie mid-post last night and i got locked outta the barracks!

~coxy's" probably asleep, so i went undercover until he e-mails my freakin'.............

jt2

<8-} = lunatic in dunce cap!

p.s. hey cine', some maniac eggs us on all the time too! ;-)

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2002 :  10:08:04
Looks like you got warped over to Albania, to boot!

666th poster to the

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2002 :  10:36:53
quote:

Looks like you got warped over to Albania, to boot!

not only am i slow, clueless, etc............don't even know where the **** i am! besides, somebody neglected to put lower slobbovia on the list.

jt2
<8-}

p.s. is this another tange-N-t, musta bumped heads in the accelerator this time, mine hurts again!

p.p.s. make haste! the spell-check bandit approach-eth!

p.p.p.s. which focal lengths do you have for your brick? I've always wanted one, but never found one with extra lenses.

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2002 :  10:52:26
I have three lenses, I think they're a 25mm wide angle, a 50mm standard and a 100mm telefoto. The 100mm has a lens hood, which, incidentally, I used on the wide angle to get a circular "vingette" effect. When I showed some of the vingetted photos to some professional photographers, they at first couldn't tell how I'd done it!

This also reminds me of the vaseline filter effect...ahh, the good old days of experimentation!

Have to remember to pull the bag out tonight and look over everything...

666th poster to the

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2002 :  07:56:32
quote:

Have to remember to pull the bag out tonight and look over everything...

exercise that shutter!

which reminds me again........

jt2

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2002 :  09:26:58
quote:

p.s. hey cine', some maniac eggs us on all the time too! ;-)

oi! I saw that!

...not that I mind, but I saw it :D.

speaking of eggs - easter is around the corner, and my little heathen self is in the mood for choccy.

dana
(A chocolate Quadra... hrm...)

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2002 :  08:03:48
quote:

(A chocolate Quadra... hrm...)

nfg, just raise another eternal debate i.e. tastesgreat/lessfilling or middle/first/last, oreo controvercy . . . . . . .
when would you eat the feets?
jt

p.s. got peeps?

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 10 Feb 2002 09:52:11

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 10 Feb 2002 09:57:04Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.