Apple CD 300e Plus cracked nylon gear

After watching this youtube video last night, I could confirm that I had the same issue with my Apple CD 300e Plus. After taking my drive apart, I noticed that the driver nylon gear was cracked.

Has anyone heard of working 3D-printed part for purchase?

So, last night I decided to make my own. Since I have had a good experience with changing gears in floppy drives, this shouldn’t be too complicated?

There is still a couple of prototype steps before a finished product, and besides my needs, could there be other interested in this part?

fOOqfFF.png

On 6/11/2021 at 6:14 AM, joshc said:

A great solution to an annoying problem - well done. If it's a part that is known to fail at this point, I'm sure others would be interested.

Thanks, I’ll consider making more than one then! ;-)

20 hours ago, PowerMac_G4 said:

Hmm, my CD 600i stopped working recently and I wonder if it's the same issue... I'll have to bust it open and check it out!

Did it make a horrible mechanical sound before it failed? Mine did. I have a 600e as well, but I have yet to open it to see if it’s interchangeable with the 300e. Perhaps you ore someone else knows?

3 hours ago, ktkm said:

Did it make a horrible mechanical sound before it failed?

It just made a very loud clicking noise, could easily have been the sound of a gear exploding. 

3 hours ago, ktkm said:

Perhaps you ore someone else knows?

Because my 600i is black I just switched the fascia with a beige 300 and moved on, I don't really use CDs much on these machines anyway so the lower speed didn't bother me. There are a whole lot of interchangeable parts between the two models if my memory serves correctly. It would be nice to return the original drive to the Performa it came from though. I'll open them up this week and see what's gone on inside. 

I have this drive, and so far it still works fine mechanically, same mechanism as this one too.

However the caps had begun to leak so i had to change all those on both the logic/servo board, and power supply especially. 

Edited by techknight
11 minutes ago, techknight said:

However the caps had begun to leak so i had to change all those on both the logic/servo board, and power supply especially. 

I haven’t even begun to suspect the caps yet. My drive came very clean and smelled nice. But yesterday, I think I managed to kill the DC motor controlling the disk spinning mechanism after I started to fiddle with the lens trimpot for a better audio read. Now I need to find a replacement part, whatever that could be? Sigh. It bummed me out since I temporarily managed to salvage the original gear with some drilling and glue.

12 minutes ago, ktkm said:

I haven’t even begun to suspect the caps yet. My drive came very clean and smelled nice. But yesterday, I think I managed to kill the DC motor controlling the disk spinning mechanism after I started to fiddle with the lens trimpot for a better audio read. Now I need to find a replacement part, whatever that could be? Sigh. It bummed me out since I temporarily managed to salvage the original gear with some drilling and glue.

Messing with the laser trim pot didnt kill the motor. It killed the laser. Youll need a new optical pickup. Been there done that many times. I dont mess with the laser adjustment anymore, I go after everything else first. 

Leaking caps will mess with the servo and its ability to read information. I had to redo both this drive, AND a caddy load drive. the Caddy drive was much worse. 

27 minutes ago, techknight said:

Messing with the laser trim pot didnt kill the motor. It killed the laser. Youll need a new optical pickup. Been there done that many times. I dont mess with the laser adjustment anymore, I go after everything else first. 

Sounds wise. However, I believe the laser is fine. When I insert a CD, it reads, but the disk won’t spin. The DC motor won’t budge when I try to resurrect it with a battery.

40 minutes ago, techknight said:

Leaking caps will mess with the servo and its ability to read information. I had to redo both this drive, AND a caddy load drive. the Caddy drive was much worse. 

I’m gonna check the caps. I notised leakage in my caddy drives, one of them won’t accept the caddy anymore. Thanks!