Radius Pivot Color and 32 bit mode?

Has anyone managed to get a Radius Pivot Color card to work in 32-bit mode? The card works fine in my SE/30 with 65 MB RAM when 32-bit mode is disabled, but as soon as it is turned on, I get a Sad Mac at startup. I recently bought a Mac ROM-Inator II and now I wanted to test if a 32-bit clean ROM would work better, but with the Radius card installed, the computer crashes immediately at startup with a black screen. The ROM version on the Radius card is 2.6, which I think is the final version?

Is there a possible way around this problem?

I just discovered that I actually can use the card in 32-bit mode (Mac ROM-Inator II) just fine. Only problem is that I need to have an external monitor hooked up all the time... If a monitor is not connected the Mac will crash after power-on.

My workaround to boot the Mac without an external monitor is to add resistors to the RGB pins on the video port, to make it believe a monitor is connected. Please let me know if there's a better solution...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 68kMLA Supporter
On 5/6/2021 at 4:23 PM, blindowl said:

I just discovered that I actually can use the card in 32-bit mode (Mac ROM-Inator II) just fine. Only problem is that I need to have an external monitor hooked up all the time... If a monitor is not connected the Mac will crash after power-on.

Does it boot with the stock ROM and, say, MODE32?  The custom ROM breaks more things than people think.  Specifically, there is usually early boot code that checks whether the monitor is attached and if not removes and disables various things, and that of course runs in a very bare-bones environment.  So I'm never very surprised when the ROMinator II fights with boot code on cards :-).

1 hour ago, cheesestraws said:

Does it boot with the stock ROM and, say, MODE32?  The custom ROM breaks more things than people think.  Specifically, there is usually early boot code that checks whether the monitor is attached and if not removes and disables various things, and that of course runs in a very bare-bones environment.  So I'm never very surprised when the ROMinator II fights with boot code on cards :-).

Yeah, I have since then changed back to the stock ROM. I don't really have any use for the Rom-Inator extras. And the included 32-bit QuickDraw breaks most old Sierra games.

The Mac will crash also with the stock ROM and MODE32 enabled, if no monitor is attached. But with the stock ROM I can easily disable 32-bit mode by holding down the Esc. key at boot. And if I need more than 8 MB of RAM I can always use the resistor workaround to fake an attached monitor. So the Pivot Color card now works fine with my SE/30! :)