• 68kMLA Supporter

Oh that's a 'good' one, very extensive damage there. It will be worth cleaning it to see how it comes out, but it would take a lot of work to get it working again. It is worth keeping the board because there are custom ICs that could be salvaged in future.

Thankfully LCs are not that hard to find, so now you just need to find a good logic board.

19 hours ago, ironborn65 said:

The good thing is that I found a working Sonnet coprocessor PSD card inside!

Can you post some pictures of this please?

• 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)

Ah, just an FPU card. Interesting. Yeah, LC, LCII don't have the PLCC socket for the FPU like the III does...

I'm with @joshc I'd clean off that corrosion, and save/salvage what proprietary ICs you can: SWIM, etc...

Edited by jessenator

I'd say try it. There's so much physical gunk that I might imagine that the battery goo interacted with enough other stuff that it's possible (not likely, but possible) that it didn't interact all that much with the motherboard itself.

I got an LC II motherboard here a few years ago which was very icky. I thought it was a goner. I scrubbed it with baking soda and a toothbrush, then washed it in a dishwasher, then recapped it, and it actually worked!

Clean it up and see!

• 68kMLA Supporter

@olePigeon Oh, sorry I meant a socket on the main board (although now I'm looking, the original LC didn't even have pads/provision to mount a PLCC socket, just the II onward) but that would make sense for some LCPDS cards to have them going by IIsi logic: some cards are made along the same lines, not least of which is the NuBus 90* adapter. I'm trying to recall if the IIsi MacCon also had a socket... I think it did, but would be absent for SE/30 application I assume then.

• 68kMLA Supporter

It's sad, very sad ... I'll turn my attention time to other relics, maybe sometime in the future.

I can see 4 RAM chips, I was wandering: what if I remove those and put them in a working LC?

Will I get 4MB?

image.thumb.png.6ec184d4a02bc22b160beb36edee3ef6.png

IMG_20210406_100426.jpg

IMG_20210406_100442.jpg

IMG_20210406_100649.jpg

• 68kMLA Supporter
23 hours ago, jessenator said:

@olePigeon Oh, sorry I meant a socket on the main board (although now I'm looking, the original LC didn't even have pads/provision to mount a PLCC socket, just the II onward) but that would make sense for some LCPDS cards to have them going by IIsi logic: some cards are made along the same lines, not least of which is the NuBus 90* adapter. I'm trying to recall if the IIsi MacCon also had a socket... I think it did, but would be absent for SE/30 application I assume then.

Which applications will take advantage of the FPU? Does Excel?

20 hours ago, ironborn65 said:

I can see 4 RAM chips, I was wandering: what if I remove those and put them in a working LC?

Will I get 4MB?

Don't think so,someone  already tried, didn't worked IIRC

On 4/5/2021 at 2:56 PM, ironborn65 said:

Which applications will take advantage of the FPU? Does Excel?

As far as I remember, Excel is one of the few programs that actually makes use of the FPU, besides it mostly scientific Math or Statistics software does.

I tested the speed (with some statistics software) to be around twice as fast. But I've been told that I probably underestimated the increase, due to my inappropriate measuring setup.