Almost perfect SE/30 ... no sound, caps?

Hi all,

I am proud (and sad) owner of a SE/30.

When I collected it from the seller it was running just fine.

When at home I removed the MB to inspect the caps.

They looked just fine.

I turned it on, and ... no sound, not a single rustle or hush noise

the speaker cable is well connected to the two pins

did the caps (which one?) passed away just at that moment?

did the sound IC passed away just at that moment, lucky me

I'm pessimistic by nature, so I thought I did a short circuit with some tiny piece of metal when I laid it down on the table, ... I know, do not spank, please, be kind

Before wildly replacing the caps I'd like to know if someone experienced something like this and if a single cap in a SE/30 can mute it

I think that your decision to replace the caps has already been made for you, but you may be able to delay it a bit by washing the motherboard to remove the cap residue that has leaked.  Congrats on the SE/30 - I had one once that I thought was going to be the exception to needing caps, and it ran for years without issues, but eventually it succumbed, they all do.

Ready to go ....

Axial capacitors are very stiff to be removed ... need to wait 24h to dry it well!

I used an air compressor to get all the H2O out from below to CPU and IC in general, and the PSD as well

Finger cross

se30IMG_20210405_184431.thumb.jpg.33320b16c844e25cd9327799480c9b18.jpg

anyhow ... never judge the health of capacitors from the outside, and never be lazy .... I'm telling myself for the next time.

Under all the SMD I found corrosion, while the axial one tested OK, 1,2%loss 0.3 ESR and 10% below uF, but I replaced them all (two).

• 68kMLA Supporter
On 4/5/2021 at 7:43 AM, ironborn65 said:

The story says: never judge the health of capacitors from the outside, and never be lazy, just replace them all and start from there

Good words to live by in this hobby! :-)

• 68kMLA Supporter
On 4/5/2021 at 1:43 PM, ironborn65 said:

The story says: never judge the health of capacitors from the outside, and never be lazy, just replace them all and start from there

Yup, I don't usually bother testing systems before a recap anymore, it's just easiest to recap and then start from there.