Retrobright retrobrite tub idea

• 68kMLA Supporter
On 4/6/2021 at 10:20 PM, davidg5678 said:

It does reasonably well, but there have been a few instances where I have found the paint to begin flaking off after the treatment. This hasn't happened to me every time, but I had a IIsi that lost about half its silver paint. Overall, the compact macs have done okay. I'm personally happy to lose a bit of paint if I can lower the risk of "marbling" the computer with a failed cream retrobrite. I have also noticed that metal shielding tends to corrode, so I always remove it first. This often means I have to cut the melted plastic holding it in place and glue it back down afterwards.

Fortunately, this isn't a super exact science. Typically, the higher the concentration of hydrogen peroxide, the faster things go. Highly concentrated peroxide isn't great to get on your skin, but once it is diluted with several gallons of water, this becomes less of an issue. (I would still recommend wearing rubber gloves) SalonCare comes as both a paste and a liquid depending on the exact product variant. Pool oxidizer is essentially the same 7% hydrogen peroxide, but rebranded. It is a bit cheaper than the 12% beauty/3% first-aid products, and works equally well.

+1 to all of this. I personally haven't noticed issues with the metal paint on my compacts. On anything with a metal shield, remove it. I use the 30 proof clear stuff from Sally Beauty. They've never asked what it's for, they just sell it to me. I have been meaning to try the pool oxidizer thing. As for concentration... I just wing it. The more concentrated it is, the faster things go!

• 68kMLA Supporter
On 4/11/2021 at 5:01 AM, cannfoddr said:

I’ve invested in a cheap fish tank heater that seems to work well at heating the liquid to around 30 degrees C

Same! Mine gets the temperature up to about 32°C (90°F), which isn't quite enough for the reaction to happen quickly, but it gets the liquid closer to the right temperature. The sun takes it from there. Once I see about 40.5° (105°F) things really start happening.

On 4/11/2021 at 7:13 PM, PotatoFi said:

Same! Mine gets the temperature up to about 32°C (90°F), which isn't quite enough for the reaction to happen quickly, but it gets the liquid closer to the right temperature. The sun takes it from there. Once I see about 40.5° (105°F) things really start happening.

I can push to around 32 degrees C - no chance in the UK of the Sun doing better than that.

I have a SE/30 ADB keyboard and mouse ready to go our in the sun tomorrow (if we get any).  Going to use Cream and clingfilm for this one as it has worked well on my 6400 panels and the 6400 keyboard and mouse.

Its interesting that on the SE/30 keyboard only the space bar seems to have yellowed - the rest of the keys match top and bottom after cleaning off all the crap.

The keyboard mainboard seems to have some yellowing around the chips and caps - do I need to be worried?

• 68kMLA Supporter
19 hours ago, cannfoddr said:

Its interesting that on the SE/30 keyboard only the space bar seems to have yellowed

As I understand it, space bars are often made from a different plastic from the other keys for, if I remember correctly, rigidity reasons.  I have several computers of several kinds where the space bar has yellowed disproportionately compared to the other keys

19 hours ago, cheesestraws said:

As I understand it, space bars are often made from a different plastic from the other keys for, if I remember correctly, rigidity reasons.  I have several computers of several kinds where the space bar has yellowed disproportionately compared to the other keys

64002150268__37819FCF-F203-4C0E-B10B-12FCD7E79A67.thumb.jpeg.6c466d85b0558a5c0611ae40e0a5b572.jpeg

Only going to retrobrite the spacebar - I have the same situation on a second ADB keyboard.

Do power cables suffer from the same Yellowing?  Mine are quite Yellow.

• 68kMLA Supporter
20 hours ago, cheesestraws said:

That's frequently the case on keyboards with PBT keycaps, the spacebar will still be the prone-to-yellowing ABS. Cheaper keyboards often just had all caps be ABS, though, like the AppleDesign keyboard.

• 68kMLA Supporter
19 hours ago, Daniël Oosterhuis said:

That's frequently the case on keyboards with PBT keycaps, the spacebar will still be the prone-to-yellowing ABS. Cheaper keyboards often just had all caps be ABS, though, like the AppleDesign keyboard.

That's what I was thinking of, yup.  Thanks for the added precision, I couldn't remember what the plastics were :-).