Ancient Digidesign stuff

• 68kMLA Supporter

I have a working ProTools III NuBus TDM system, as well as an AudioMedia II, plus some SampleCell IIs. I'd qualify all these as "historic". At least my setup I've been able to find online working ProTools 4 software that runs plug-ins etc. and generally feel like a modern DAW and is compatible via DAE with software that's fairly mainstream (Logic, Vision, etc). There are some things I haven't found ways around copy protection, but I was able to get a working PTv4 TDM with stuff from the Garden.

There's a period before this that it's less easy to get information on: The original Audiomedia and Sound Accelerator. A thing I'm also very curious about is the references to MPW-based tools for programming the 56k DSP on the Sound Accelerator, but I'm wondering if that was also compatible with the original AM card, or possibly even the version IIs? - and if it has survived. I would *love* to get a hold of the development environment. Otherwise it seems like these were mostly used with Sound Designer?

I originally thought that the AudioMedia had been kind of a replacement for the Sound Accelerator, but it seems that that wasn't the case, the it was just more like a budget version, where the SA was more Pro with the various breakout boxes? I just clicked Buy It Now on a Sound Accelerator II without the breakout box, and in the eBay pictures (top one) it quite clearly has a 15-pin connector, but others I've seen and all breakout boxes have a 25 pin connector.

Another thing the electronics geek in my notices is that this is all off-the-shelf parts with socketed GALs and ROMs, and as such it should be very possible to clone/reverse engineer it, and even emulate it, given the existence of a good, open 56k DSP emulator. The AMII is also all jelly beans, but the GALs and ROMs are soldered directly to the board, so I can't read them out. There's an article that describes the original Sound Accelerator hardware and it seems like it's just the 8-bit "host port" of the DSP56001 stuck to the NuBus. I wonder if they stuck with that design or if the more modern ones are more complicated.

19 hours ago, paws said:

but I was able to get a working PTv4 TDM with stuff from the Garden.

Mind sharing how you did that exactly? I have a set of Nubus TDM hardware as well that I have yet to get to do anything useful without a TDM mix activation.

• 68kMLA Supporter

I think it mostly came from here:

https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/ppc-audio-software-os7-osx58-some-68k-apps

I think it took some assembly, like the mixer was in a separate archive and had to be installed. I also had ProTools 3 working before, including TDM (at least I could route my SampleCell to my 882), but I'm not sure exactly where that came from.

I actually had the original AudioMedia 1 card running in a Macintosh IIx, and it had it's own RCA ins and outs right on the card, as opposed to the SA card, which connected to the I/O breakout box.  I also have some older CDRoms and Floppy Authorization discs for Sound Designer II, and that software did actually work with the AM 1 card.

It would be super cool to find the SE30 version of the Sound Tools card, but I've never seen one..

Craig

PS.  What are you doing with the AM2 card?

• 68kMLA Supporter
On 4/3/2021 at 2:38 PM, nottomhanks said:

PS.  What are you doing with the AM2 card?

Not much at the moment, to be honest. I worked for a while using Turbosynth to make weird noises for the SampleCell, and I got the Audiomedia to also have a two-track recorder for that setup. But I upgraded to the 7100 to use my TDM system instead, and that sees quote a bit of use. My music right now is more in the ambient/soundscape vein, and a few tracks of harddisk recording and lots of crappy old plug-in effects works better for me than a few minutes of sample time on the SampleCell. I can see myself cycling back to the Q700 with the Audiomedia and more outboard

And I would really love to find those development tools. I want to learn 56k assembly for fun, and I've got a dev board with DOS-based tools, but having it all in an old Mac would be so much better.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 12:55 AM, paws said:

I think it mostly came from here:

https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/ppc-audio-software-os7-osx58-some-68k-apps

I think it took some assembly, like the mixer was in a separate archive and had to be installed. I also had ProTools 3 working before, including TDM (at least I could route my SampleCell to my 882), but I'm not sure exactly where that came from.

Good one... got a few more Digidesign cards the other day and finally came around to try out the stuff from that software collection.

There's indeed a cracked TDM Mixer 1.2 plugin hidden in there. I think I have seen v1.4 is there as well but didn't try that one yet.

Looks like I can finally put all those DSP Farm cards to some use now.

• 68kMLA Supporter

Cool, glad you got it working. What kind of setup do you have now?

I got a Sound Designer II Nubus card today. Going to read out the PALs and ROM tonight and have a go with my squealer. But I still think it's a quite simple affair, and I'm wondering if it wouldn't be possible to recreate a PDS version from the Nubus version, slot manager and all. That'd go well with a recreated SE/SE/30 :)

I've also been playing with my 56002 EVM board. It's fun, interesting architecture. Wondering who to poke to get those Mac 56k dev tools. Maybe I should just e-mail some of the people who wrote papers about them 30 years ago...

Edited by paws