SCSI-2-SD Setup Advice

• 68kMLA Supporter

I'm new to the world of SCSI-2-SD, though I've been using a FloppyEmu for a while now with no major issues. I purchased an external SCSI-2-SD (v5.5) so I can make a back-up of the SuperSE's internal drive, share the contents of the drive with the previous owner, and transfer files between the SuperSE and my modern Mac when I get the internal drive formatted and System 7.1 installed.

I created a volume image on the microSD card that I ordered with the SCSI-2-SD, but it will not mount or show up on the vintage Macs. The image was successfully initialized in Mini vMac, where it appears to work just fine.

Is there something I'm missing? I've looked at the pinned thread on configuring the SCSI-2-SD, and I'm now wondering I need to update the firmware or change some settings? Unfortunately, I can't find a microUSB-to-USB cable to connect into the SCSI-2-SD so I may have to wait if this is the case.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've tried this on a couple different vintage Macs, all with the same results.

The SCSI2SD doesn't work with images the way FloppyEmu does.

You need to use the SCSI2SD utility to configure the device how you want it to work, w/respect to the card you have in it and the system you're going to connect to it , then connect it to the machine you're going to use it with and format it and put data on it like it was a hard disk.

Among the options that you may elect to change are the way the device presents itself to the OS, you can make the SCSI2SD pretend to be an Apple hard disk, although I didn't do this with mine, I ended up leaving mine as default and using LaCie's SilverLining utility to format the disk. Everybody prefers a different utility so it's really a matter of what's compatible with your computer configuration and what ends up working and/or you get your hands on first. 

It is possible to pre-load data onto them, but the way that I've seen work best is when you lay down an image of someone else's prepped SD card on your own.

• 68kMLA Supporter

I knew it was going to be different, but I wasn't sure how much configuration I'd have to do in regards to the firmware.

The system I'm running it on is a Macintosh SE with an '030 accelerator card (hence why I couldn't just use the FloppyEmu in HD-20 mode.) It seems like most people have an image with an OS on it, but I just have a blank image as I want to use it to get files off the existing internal drive.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)

I finally got the cable needed to update the firmware and settings on the SCSI-2-SD. I used the instructions on the aforementioned pinned thread to properly configure the SCSI-2-SD to emulate a Seagate ST225N drive. The Macintosh sees the device, but using Disk Tools to initialize the drive hasn't been successful so far.

When using Apple HD SC Setup v7.1 from the System 7.1 Disk Tools floppy, the computer took FOREVER to attempt to initialize. After about an hour and a half, it told me the format failed.

Right now I'm on attempt #2. I changed the device setting to "512 MB" from "2 GB" in the SCSI-2-SD utility. It's still taking a while... so far about 15 minutes and still going. After re-reading the pinned thread, it appears the initialization process in the HD SC Setup utility only creates a 20 MB volume that can be "expanded", so I'm not sure if this run will have any different results. Does it normally take an hour to format a SCSI-2-SD?

Any ideas for what I'm doing wrong? As mentioned, the Mac is seeing the device and attempting to format the correct SCSI device, but isn't being very successful at formatting. If this attempt fails, I'll post some screenshots of the SCSI-2-SD configuration settings from the config utility.

EDIT: I jumped the gun, as always. The second time was the charm... it successfully initialized the SCSI-2-SD.

Edited by Garrett
  • 68kMLA Supporter

As noted in the edit on my previous post, I got the SCSI-2-SD partition formatted and made. Now I need to make a backup of the internal Maxtor drive (which has two volumes on it) before I can format it and install System 7.1 on the internal drive. I'd like to make sure the entire drive is backed up, just in case there is important drivers or control panels for the accelerator card that I may need down the road. (The previous owner also wants their files, so I'd like to make a backup and send it to him.)

Is there any recommendations for doing this? As mentioned, I'd like to specifically make sure anything related to the Mobius '030 accelerator card is backed up before I format just in case.

• 68kMLA Supporter

My approach to this would probably be to create a second logical SCSI disc on the scsi2sd, copy all the files from both volumes into it just using the Finder, then quickly dd that whole volume off the SD card and store it somewhere safe.  That will let you use it in Basilisk II to get the previous owner's files off and back to them more easily, and also let you extract things from the HD image and keep them safe somewhere.  If you find unusual drivers and stuff you should, of course, post them here or on the garden or something :-)

• 68kMLA Supporter
On 4/17/2021 at 8:01 AM, cheesestraws said:

My approach to this would probably be to create a second logical SCSI disc on the scsi2sd, copy all the files from both volumes into it just using the Finder, then quickly dd that whole volume off the SD card and store it somewhere safe.  That will let you use it in Basilisk II to get the previous owner's files off and back to them more easily, and also let you extract things from the HD image and keep them safe somewhere.  If you find unusual drivers and stuff you should, of course, post them here or on the garden or something :-)

So far I've been copying files manually from the internal drive to the SCSI-2-SD using the Finder. It's somewhat of a tedious task, and the Finder sometimes gives me an error telling me it is running out of memory. I'm wondering if there is a utility that will automatically copy all of the files without running into that issue, as some files are apparently just too large for the Finder to copy. (Which seems to be a bit strange.)

How would I create a second SCSI disc on the SCSI-2-SD? I'm assuming by dd'ing the volume that would be placing all of the files extracted from the internal drive into one file that can be imported into Mini vMac or BII? I believe I used the dd command (on my modern Mac in the terminal) in an attempt to create a blank volume before, but I've never used it to copy files into one volume.

Thanks - the SCSI-2-SD is quite new to me and a lot different from the FloppyEmu where I would just create a volume, copy the files over, then be done with it all. :lol:

As far as drivers and stuff, I've found the Mobius control panels - and I'm hoping that's all that there is in terms of drivers/software for the accelerator, since that is pretty crucial. The previous owner loaded this computer up with random software and stuff, so it may take some time to sift through it all.

• 68kMLA Supporter
19 hours ago, Garrett said:

How would I create a second SCSI disc on the SCSI-2-SD?

Use the scsi2sd utility, there's tabs along the top of the window to configure several virtual SCSI discs.

but I've never used it to copy files into one volume.

dd doesn't copy files, it just copies chunks of bytes.  The point here was that you could copy all the files onto the virtual HD, then take an image of that HD on your modern mac for backup purposes.

• 68kMLA Supporter
19 hours ago, cheesestraws said:

Use the scsi2sd utility, there's tabs along the top of the window to configure several virtual SCSI discs.

dd doesn't copy files, it just copies chunks of bytes.  The point here was that you could copy all the files onto the virtual HD, then take an image of that HD on your modern mac for backup purposes.

I didn't know you could configure multiple SCSI devices/discs on one SCSI-2-SD. I guess now that makes a lot of sense, though.

So the dd utility can essentially copy the files from the SCSI-2-SD volume to a single image? I'm hoping this is not a dumb question (I've rarely used the terminal, let alone the dd command) but how can I "select" a directory to make an image of? Are there tutorials for this?

Thanks for your help.

• 68kMLA Supporter

So the dd utility can essentially copy the files from the SCSI-2-SD volume to a single image? I'm hoping this is not a dumb question (I've rarely used the terminal, let alone the dd command) but how can I "select" a directory to make an image of? Are there tutorials for this?

No, the dd will produce a hard disc image.  Basically, you tell it on the SD card where to start copying and where to stop copying from, and it just copies those bytes into an image.  That's why I suggested using a separate logical disc on the scsi2sd, because you just can copy that whole virtual disc then, if that makes sense?

• 68kMLA Supporter
19 hours ago, cheesestraws said:

No, the dd will produce a hard disc image.  Basically, you tell it on the SD card where to start copying and where to stop copying from, and it just copies those bytes into an image.  That's why I suggested using a separate logical disc on the scsi2sd, because you just can copy that whole virtual disc then, if that makes sense?

It makes a little more sense now. Currently I have created folders on the SCSI-2-SD (a single disc/device) containing files from the two volumes, as I'd like to backup both. (There are files the previous owner would likely want from both.) So I can essentially use the dd command to make an image from all of those files?

Despite the two volumes being "Programs" and "Documents", the previous owner placed some of their files into the "Programs" volume so I'm thinking about just sending them an entire backup of the hard drive instead of spending extra time going through and deciding what they may or may not want. This will also copy the apps they have loaded on there, so they won't have to spend time tracking down stuff on Macintosh Garden and trying to get it to work in BII.

• 68kMLA Supporter

So I've moved all of the files from the Macintosh to the SCSI-2-SD microSD card. I've inserted the microSD card into my modern MacBook Pro to make the disk image. Disk Utility will not allow me to "mount" or make an image of the disk since it was formatted with HFS, so I'm going to have to do it manually in the terminal. (Which I was assuming already.)

I want to make sure I'm doing this right so I don't royally mess something up. In the terminal, I have:

sudo dd if=dev/disk4 of=/dev/disk2/SuperSE Backup.dsk bs=1M

disk4 is the SCSI-2-SD microSD card, and disk2 is the external hard drive where I want to save the disk image to.

I followed this guide (but reversing the if and of parts) and it recommended a block size of 1M. Is that appropriate?

Should I be good to go?

I'm Steve from the site you quoted.    Suggest something like 

sudo dd if=dev/disk4 of=/dev/disk2/SuperSE_Backup.dsk bs=1M

I'd avoid spaces in file names in terminal/command line

Note this will make an image of your "entire" SD card, not just the part you initialized as a "drive"  

I usually keep track of what parts of the SD card I'm using so I can use DD to just backup or extract those parts.

Eg.  https://www.savagetaylor.com/2019/12/19/how-ive-setup-the-scsi2sd-that-i-use-in-my-lc-475/

• 68kMLA Supporter
20 hours ago, Realitystorm said:

I'm Steve from the site you quoted.    Suggest something like 

sudo dd if=dev/disk4 of=/dev/disk2/SuperSE_Backup.dsk bs=1M

I'd avoid spaces in file names in terminal/command line

Note this will make an image of your "entire" SD card, not just the part you initialized as a "drive"  

I usually keep track of what parts of the SD card I'm using so I can use DD to just backup or extract those parts.

Eg.  https://www.savagetaylor.com/2019/12/19/how-ive-setup-the-scsi2sd-that-i-use-in-my-lc-475/

Thanks. Is it possible to "see" the partitions before I create the image, or only after? How do you see the individual partitions and extract them individually?

There is only one partition I created to back all files up to, which is 512 MB in capacity. The SD card itself is 8 GB, so I'd like to only image the 512 MB used if possible to save time and space.

• 68kMLA Supporter

Don't mean to bump this, but: how can I figure out what portion of the SD card to image, and how do I image only that portion? Note I can't "see" the contents of the SD card on my modern Mac as it is a HFS volume.