Newton BASIC (just what it says, BASIC on the Newton) and NewtCard (a Hypercard clone) released into the wild

Anyone tried to get these to work? I've loaded both into Einstein, and sadly both request a serial number...which I can't seem to find.

I wonder if this is something we're going to need to patch out of it, or maybe (hopefully!) it's in some of the additional documentation buried amongst the code.....

I guess I'll have to crack out NTK and take a peek at what's going on!

So whilst there seems to be an issue sorting out the source code, I found a stuffit archive inside the NS Basic 4 source folder which contained the NewtCard source which wasn't corrupt (hooray!)

Inside there I searched the source for "serial" and found the routine to check it: (x-10000017)%127=0

I generated my own serial number by choosing a number, 20, multiplying it by 127 and adding 10000017, which gave me 10002557.

And that serial, amazingly, works in both NewtCard and NS Basic to make the app work :)

Edited by aladds

Brilliant. Well it looks brilliant to me, at any rate, because I wouldn’t know what I was dong poking around in there. Would that routine be visible only in the source code, do you suppose, or could something be used to sniff it out in a NewtOS pkg file?

Honestly, the way Newton packages are "compiled" would mean that if you knew what you were looking for, you probably could work it out.

(Thing is, you'd still need a copy of the "real" package, and that probably came on a floppy disk when you bought the software - but at the point you've got that you probably also had a pirated serial. So perhaps this wasn't too Naiive)

Having the source makes it much easier to find, though!

What amazes me most is that I know Newtons have a "device ID" tied to the username - a lot of software from the era uses that as part of the key generation process, but this doesn't. *That* would solve the "borrowed a key from a friend" piracy.