First time fixing my macintosh SE. Need to replace hdd (20 se) advice please!

need to replace the quantum hdd on macintosh se (20 se) as it has died.

i have some old non apple scsi drives of various sizes. is there a limit of what size i should install?

i also have a floppy emu which I just received.

can i just boot off the floppy emu and install the system software? what version should install?

i hear that i need a  hacked version of Apple HD SC Setup. where can i get it?

any other tips? is it worth also upgrading the ram while i am in there? Where is the best place to get it? anything else?

Ok, so I took the drive out and my other drives are much newer and start at 6GB and don't have same pin out, so I can't install them. Is there an adapter that would work with them?

Is it possible to lube the old drive to get it working again?

Booted with floppy emu and found out that I already have the max of 4 Megs of RAM.

Edited by jj9999

I did try the hacked HD SC Setup and it did not succeed. I found that Lido 7 (should be on your BMOW Floppy Emu flash card, if you bought it, or try Macintosh Garden) made a reliable SCSI image on which to install the floppy images. I also found that a SCSISD solid state SCSI drive was a fantastic investment, it not only adds a lot of speed to your machine it keeps your machine cooler compared to a spinning drive. RAM might be upgraded, how much do you have?

What version to install is really up to you but 6.0.8 is not a bad idea, it is relatively small and efficient. I booted from the 6.0.8 installer on the BMOW flash through the Floppy Emu and it was a pretty easy process.

You might be trying to shove an IDE drive into your SCSI SE. For a SCSI Mac, I would recommend just going SCSI2SD and call it done.

As for memory, the SE goes all the way up to 4MB of RAM using (4) 1MB 30-pin SIMMs. These are super cheap so you might as well "max it out."

Also, if you have a battery in there, pull it or cut it out now before it's too late. 

• 68kMLA Supporter
4 hours ago, mattsoft said:

You might be trying to shove an IDE drive into your SCSI SE. For a SCSI Mac, I would recommend just going SCSI2SD and call it done.

As for memory, the SE goes all the way up to 4MB of RAM using (4) 1MB 30-pin SIMMs. These are super cheap so you might as well "max it out."

Also, if you have a battery in there, pull it or cut it out now before it's too late. 

The Plus, SE, and Classic can all be configured to have up to 4 MB of RAM. As for the PRAM battery, the SE has the battery soldered to the logic board (or at least mine does) so they will need to snip it out or desolder it.