FPGA hardware supporting open source toolchains

So looks like the state-of-the-art in open-source FPGAs is still pretty much "Lattice only."  Fortunately, looks like Lattice FPGAs might be good enough for implementing a replica BBU for the Macintosh SE.  Good thing was that I was already looking at candidate FPGAs from Lattice.

• 68kMLA Supporter

All the same reasons you use an open source compiler to generate machine code for a proprietary CPU: Out of principle, because it's more future proof, and frequently also because they're just better software.

I don't know about the Lattice tools, I've only used the open source ones, but the Xilinx tools are gigantic, slow, buggy, and the versions I used made you do a complete 7GB download for each tiny bug fix upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 68kMLA Supporter
On 11/26/2020 at 8:38 PM, quorten said:

So looks like the state-of-the-art in open-source FPGAs is still pretty much "Lattice only."  Fortunately, looks like Lattice FPGAs might be good enough for implementing a replica BBU for the Macintosh SE.  Good thing was that I was already looking at candidate FPGAs from Lattice.

The iCE40 perchance?