68net - a modern SCSI to Ethernet board

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well yeah, it's an all in one! With neat cabling, this should be a nice addition. Maybe the pi would need an external antenna or wifi dongle outside the case because all the interference of the crt?

Picture this: I'm doing the protocols at my local firefighter station, when there are official gatherings etc. How cool would it be to turn up with an SE/30, do the protocol and print it immediately on the wireless printer :-D. This thing is from 1990! Uh, where's my copy of Framemaker! Hmmm, is there a way to share a cups driver as a AppleTalk LaserWriter?

And since all is reversible there's no harm done.

Any idea when you have a somewhat final version? ;-) - no hurry, right now my machine is in pieces and awaits recapping.

On 11/19/2020 at 8:21 PM, JCBone said:

Any idea when you have a somewhat final version? ;-) - no hurry, right now my machine is in pieces and awaits recapping.

I just received today my digikey order, and I should receive my jlcpcb in the evening. So in the nest 10 days I should be able to let you know what is the status of the project and if I need a new revision of the board before getting to to the final version.

I'l let you know soon !

Thinking about it, an external enclosure has it's merits. Maybe one could put the 68net, the scsi2SD (with easier access to the SD card) and a raspberry pi zero into it and velcro it to the back of the SE/30… One would need a reeeeally short SCSI Cable though, and somehow 5V form inside the case. 

13 minutes ago, JCBone said:

Thinking about it, an external enclosure has it's merits. Maybe one could put the 68net, the scsi2SD (with easier access to the SD card) and a raspberry pi zero into it and velcro it to the back of the SE/30… One would need a reeeeally short SCSI Cable though, and somehow 5V form inside the case. 

The cable from the scsi Zip drive works for my external scsi2sd (v.5.5) to connect it to my Quadra 700, providing the necessary 5V.

It it worth saying that the external enclosure of scsi2sd 5.5 works perfectly on "pizza box" Macs, but the shape of the rear case of Quadra 700 makes it impossible to plug it in without taking it out of the case, or indeed using a cable like the Zip one - so an external enclosure should consider this shape factor too.

If the point is accessing the sd, I am waiting for an extension cable for SD cards to arrive, because I want to see if I can manage to leave the SD card hanging outside the back of my SE (I was thinking to use the Kingston lock hole for this...) and plug it to an internal scsi2sd via the extension cable. Hopefully it will come soon and I will be able to try and see if it works.

14 hours ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

Lookin' lovely! Can't wait to see everything set up. [:)]

<config tangent>

I'm still trying to think of a good reason why a multi-function printed chassis  in standard 3.5" form factor to replace the FDD wouldn't be an optimal solution, given FloppyEmu used on the backside if swapping out SD card(s) through the opening isn't good enough? A miniature USB could be plugged in as well when needed?

Shor_Gun_Pic-0.JPG.273239ed2b81455ac29d9202c5c10c13.JPG

Do it right and it could look like an empty auto-inject drive when not in use. It'd act in the manner of a 19th Century shore defense gun carriage, raising into battery on a pivot actuated by paperclip and falling back on second clip-poke. Reversed function, loaded/reloaded in raised position and in general use when lowered. Once the basic chassis/carriage action implementation is perfected, customized platforms would be easily designed and printed for any number of possible configurations.

</config tangent>

Sorry I'm not sure to understand what you mean ?

16 hours ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

Lookin' lovely! Can't wait to see everything set up. [:)]

<config tangent>

I'm still trying to think of a good reason why a multi-function printed chassis  in standard 3.5" form factor to replace the FDD wouldn't be an optimal solution, given FloppyEmu used on the backside if swapping out SD card(s) through the opening isn't good enough? A miniature USB could be plugged in as well when needed?

Shor_Gun_Pic-0.JPG.273239ed2b81455ac29d9202c5c10c13.JPG

Do it right and it could look like an empty auto-inject drive when not in use. It'd act in the manner of a 19th Century shore defense gun carriage, raising into battery on a pivot actuated by paperclip and falling back on second clip-poke. Reversed function, loaded/reloaded in raised position and in general use when lowered. Once the basic chassis/carriage action implementation is perfected, customized platforms would be easily designed and printed for any number of possible configurations.

</config tangent>

…and I thought my ideas were a little whacky. :-D

4 minutes ago, ironborn65 said:

yes, right, the connector exists, I got this  https://www.ebay.com/i/273425140933?chn=ps 

I did not know about that, nice ! I wonder if designing one would be worth it ? 

Pros

- fast to design

- cheaper (especially because the one you suggest does not cheap to EU)

If I can't find one to buy on ebay I'll do this little project I think :) 

1 hour ago, ronan said:

I did not even notice :p So I guess designing a cheap (< $10) HD30  to DB25 could be a good idea :)

Yeah, would definitely be a nice option.

This one appears to be the correct adapter as well

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HDI-30-pin-to-DB25-SCSI-port-adapter-for-legacy-Macintosh-systems-552/253843270894?epid=165012110&hash=item3b1a3cecee:g:xeAAAOxyqUpQ89G4

1 hour ago, Torbar said:

Shipping price to Europe is actually higher thant the adapter price, so... yes please, @ronan make that adapter too! :)

Someone warned in another thread recently that those types of adapters are to be avoided. Strain relief is provided by Apple's adapter cables. I heartily agree with that. I'll add to that the fact they also lack the slide-lock mechanism of Apple's HD50 connector on the cables. That lock makes a world of difference, I never had great confidence in using my MICRO EN/SC in the field, which uses the same type connector as the inexpensive L-shaped adapters, but in the office or at home I didn't worry too much about it.

However, my high dollar T-shaped adapter from APS (with termination/switch/LED ) is of very robust steel construction with a precision slot-lock connector built in that works by bump-friction. Not as good as an Apple cable, but better than the Micro EN/SC and inexpensive adapters. You'll also note that the squared off raised section of the inexpensive L-shaped adapter's (and expensive EN/SC's for that matter) lack of the triangular fillet of the Apple/APS connectors which provides a proper fit/larger loading area for angular stress in the vertical plane that counters downward force.

Short/sweet version: be very careful about using those cheap adapters. I have several from various box lots I've snagged over the years. They're not as robust, but are probably good enough with careful use in a stabilized retro setup. But be careful, the longer the moment arm, the more danger of hot unplugging the SCSI connection a/o breaking something, like the solder connections on the PB logic board's connector.

edit: I'll take some pictures to show the different connector configurations when I get the chance.

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

Hello,

I just wanted to say your project is really awesome and I appreciate it. Thank you for doing what you do, @ronan!

The moderation team has cleaned up some off-topic posts in your thread. We apologize for that, and ask that everyone remember others when posting. Everyone can make a subforum-appropriate topic for projects they need to work on — no need to disrupt another forum-goer's thread!

Thanks,

10 hours ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

Short/sweet version: be very careful about using those cheap adapters. I have several from various box lots I've snagged over the years. They're not as robust, but are probably good enough with careful use in a stabilized retro setup. But be careful, the longer the moment arm, the more danger of hot unplugging the SCSI connection a/o breaking something, like the solder connections on the PB logic board's connector.

What do you mean by good enough ? What are the downsides of cheap adapters apart from hot unplugging ? :) 

Someone warned in another thread recently that those types of adapters are to be avoided. Strain relief is provided by Apple's adapter cables. I heartily agree with that. I'll add to that the fact they also lack the slide-lock mechanism of Apple's HD50 connector on the cables. That lock makes a world of difference, I never had great confidence in using my MICRO EN/SC in the field, which uses the same type connector as the inexpensive L-shaped adapters, but in the office or at home I didn't worry too much about it.

I see your point. Do you know if any of the good connectors you suggest are still on production ? :) 

edit: I'll take some pictures to show the different connector configurations when I get the chance.

Very good idea ! :D 

8 hours ago, wthww said:

I just wanted to say your project is really awesome and I appreciate it. Thank you for doing what you do, @ronan!

Thanks a lot for your support ! :) 

8 hours ago, wthww said:

The moderation team has cleaned up some off-topic posts in your thread. We apologize for that, and ask that everyone remember others when posting. Everyone can make a subforum-appropriate topic for projects they need to work on — no need to disrupt another forum-goer's thread!

Yes I guess a little cleaning was needed, thanks !

1 hour ago, ronan said:

What do you mean by good enough ? What are the downsides of cheap adapters apart from hot unplugging ? :) 

I think it's mostly the physics of it: the cheaper ones tend to be big rigid things and these will put more strain on the connector on the powerbook, because they'll create a moment around it.  The Apple ones tend to be smaller, and the better ones are flexible / cables.  So you're much less likely to break something by sheer physics, if that makes sense.

52 minutes ago, cheesestraws said:

I think it's mostly the physics of it: the cheaper ones tend to be big rigid things and these will put more strain on the connector on the powerbook, because they'll create a moment around it.  The Apple ones tend to be smaller, and the better ones are flexible / cables.  So you're much less likely to break something by sheer physics, if that makes sense.

That makes perfect sense.

Any ideas of what's the name of the HDI-30 connector ? I can't find it on DK. Maybe it has another name ?