Arduino SCSI device - Work in Progress

• 68kMLA Supporter
19 hours ago, bibilit said:

Ok, but the power LED is steady in my own.

It is on for me as well, but the actual voltage that's getting to the BluePill is rather low on some of the machines I tried (mainly a lot of different SE/30 logicboards, IIcx, IIci, 475, LC)

The SCSI2SD must somehow be more tolerant to lower voltages.

20 hours ago, bibilit said:

some sort of schematics

This is how I connected the SD card:

321033532_Bildschirmfoto2021-03-26um08_46_04.thumb.png.65c578bb11cd54e559e8d6e919101abc.png

On the original ArdSCSino github repo there's schematics as well:

https://github.com/ztto/ArdSCSino-stm32

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 68kMLA Supporter

On my spinoff of the board there‘s separate jumpers to select power sources for the BluePill and for termination.

If you‘d implement the same on your board that would solve the problem of having to run an extra jumper on the Plus. It would boil down to moving a single jumper if you want to power everything externally (USB or another 5V source)

On another sidenote: just confirmed the passive termination does even play well with the IIfx, which is otherwise very picky with termination.

I believe the Plus actually does have term power capability mostly implemented, but it was disabled from the factory for some as yet unknown reason.  Maybe because the SCSI standard wasn't fully finalized, and the term power circuit isn't fully compliant?

Nevertheless, I think it can be enabled by adding a missing component or two (a diode and something else, I think?).  This would negate the need for the BlueSCSI to have a special configuration for the Plus which is incompatible with all other models.

c

• 68kMLA Supporter

From a customer service perspective it seems a lot more sensible for the device to be configurable than to require every customer using it in a Plus to perform a component level modification to their machine. Especially considering that accommodating the Plus in the BlueSCSI design is basically free.

So far I have not been able to make my own work. 

Resoldered the SD holder, checked all lines. 

Used another computer, formatted again, used the new blank images on the site. 

Used an external psu to get 5 steady volts. 

Still having the same issue, PC 13 blinking. 

I am lost... any idea ?

bad Blue pill ?? Kit was bought online in UK. 

20 hours ago, bibilit said:

I am lost... any idea ?

As far as I remember PC 1 will also blink if not a valid drive image can be found. Furthermore if I should not be wrong LOG file will only be updated after entering the main loop.

So have you named your image file correctly (for example HD00_512_system608.hda)?
Have you checked if a logfile is present on your SD card?

Would you be able to flash your bluepill?

Maybe you could try formating the SD with Windows build in tools.

Yes, several tests. 

Images named accordingly. No log file. 

So far, have used two Apple Imacs and a Windows unit. 

No, cannot flash the bluepill myself, reason why i bought a unit as a kit. 

• 68kMLA Supporter

Blue pills usually come programmed with a "blinky" app that does nothing more than blink the LED. So I wonder if this board has not been programmed with BlueSCSI firmware.

A USB serial adapter only costs $10 and is a useful thing to have around.

• 68kMLA Supporter
19 hours ago, anthon said:

Blue pills usually come programmed with a "blinky"

I have not seen a blue pill with a program on it (most of mine looks exactly like that one, switch, jumpers, etc). The blinking led at 500ms is to indicate sd card or image file not found.

All signs point to the blue pill is not able to communicate with the sd card for some reason. Can you show the sd card inserted? I have had it were it was just a mm or two out and didnt read it, reinserted and it worked. Also had a little too much solder on the sd holder and kept the card from inserting right.

Also if you jump on discord can try to help there too.

20 hours ago, erichelgeson said:

I have not seen a blue pill with a program on it (most of mine looks exactly like that one, switch, jumpers, etc). The blinking led at 500ms is to indicate sd card or image file not found.

Just opened one of my factory sealed bluepills and after connection it to USB it blinks. So there is a chance the firmware was not written.
Maybe it would be a good idea to order either a ST-LINK V2 or a USB serial adapter. Would expect this to be a good idea nevertheless as this way you will be able to update the firmware in the future.

Another idea, maybe the blinkcodes could be changed to be different from blinky. For example no SD-card found: 3 short 3 long 3 short.

And if no suitable disk image can be read make sure this info is written into the log file and some sort of other blinking.

To cut a long story short, problem was in my two first SD cards...

Rummaging in my drawer, found a third one, worked flawlessly almost the very  first try.

Led turned off immediately and drive mounted fine, had only to modify the name of the other two images to get the other drives seen and usable. 

So far, found two more cards, both working fine. 

So, picked up for my tests the only cards that didn’t worked !! (Tried those again afterwards, never worked)

thanks !!

C54D3316-7692-486A-B406-6FDBD46E7C92.jpeg

C93A781F-833C-47A3-9223-A9C0D3F9BCB3.jpeg

3A9867DB-087E-4DBB-AFE7-539C90E51560.jpeg

Thanks to you for creating such a wonderful toy !

so for your information, no external psu was required, and naming HDx1 didn’t worked for me. 

I tested it with my PowerBook 3400, and of course as expected didn’t worked. 

Earlier in this thread, two people posted screenshots of the software shown below without mentioning what it is.  I've Messaged them both, but perhaps I'll get a faster answer here.  Where is it found on Macintosh Garden?

IMG_0325.jpg

@erichelgeson

To begin, I have a question about the "Blanks & Premade Images" section of your GitHub Page here. Specifically, you are showing a mix of links to both "Partition" images and "Drive" images, which are not the same thing.  Those links on GitHub imply your BlueSCSI device works with both types of images, but is that really true?  You later mention creating them with "dd" — but that pertains to the creation of only "Drive" images, not "Partition" images.  You also link to the SavageTaylor site, which mentions the difference between Drive and Partition images.

"DSK" images that work with Mini vMac and FloppyEMU are not supported by SCSI2SD or most other SD products, except for MacSD.  Those are called "Partition" images on the SavageTaylor site.  It is unclear if BlueSCSI handles Partition images; but again, your Github documentation implies BlueSCSI does handle them.  If BlueSCSI really does handle Partition (DSK) images, can you boot from those Partition images or just mount them after being already booted from a Drive image?  (For example, MacSD could originally boot from Partition images (which MacSD calls "Composite" images), but I found some issues in my testing that prompted the developer to prevent booting from those "Composite" images in firmware, although Composite/Partition images still can be mounted after you have booted from a Drive image.)

Drive images can only be manipulated with something like Basilisk II as Mini vMac cannot handle them.  They are also harder to create for people who are only familiar with Mini vMac and who are not Terminal savvy.  This is why I am curious about BlueSCSI support of Partition images, especially in light of the links provided at your GitHub.  

Next...

I see British Pound pricing here, but your US (gum road) page avoids any mention of pricing, so could you please state that pricing in this thread?