G4 Cube Laptop Optical Drive Bracket

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to replace my G4 Cube's optical drive with a laptop-style SuperDrive and before I take a stab at designing one myself, I was hoping somebody out there had an .stl file for the bracket to fit it into the Cube's optical drive area. With cubeowner now defunct, I can no longer access the forum posts discussing this. I've attached a picture showing this bracket which I found on: http://www.atpm.com/12.03/cube.shtml

If I can't find one, I'll be sure to post my own version of it for anyone else looking to do the same thing. Thanks in advance!

The bracket in question:

cube-drive-assembled.jpg

Edited by spicybeef
  • 5 months later...

A friend of mine just successfully printed one of these, and with a slim SATA to SATA adapter, IDE to SATA adapter board, and SATA extension cable, I’m successfully running a laptop drive from 2010 and watching DVDs with VLC in 10.4.  It’s a bit of a tight fit, but it’s all working!  Just need to try booting to an Apple DVD and try burning a DVD to see what happens.

4 hours ago, nottomhanks said:

A friend of mine just successfully printed one of these, and with a slim SATA to SATA adapter, IDE to SATA adapter board, and SATA extension cable, I’m successfully running a laptop drive from 2010 and watching DVDs with VLC in 10.4.  It’s a bit of a tight fit, but it’s all working!  Just need to try booting to an Apple DVD and try burning a DVD to see what happens.

Is there any chance you could share the STL? I'm now the owner of a Cube that also has an entirely weak optical drive, and would love to have printed one as well to be able to swap it out entirely.

There's some anecdotal success of restoring normal ejection to the original G4 Cube drives by boiling the rubber belts; it shrinks them back to a diameter which is closer to the original diameter. I haven't tried it myself.

On 2/16/2021 at 8:51 AM, nottomhanks said:

I'd love those STLs as well if your friend still has them.