Macintosh SE FDHD: Gray Screen, No Boot

Hello,

I recently bought a Macintosh SE FDHD that has trouble booting. When I power it on, it plays the startup chime, and shows the standard 1-bit gray screen, but it never displays a pointer, Happy Mac, Sad Mac, blinking ?, blinking X, or anything; just 1-bit gray. It will not boot from a floppy or external SCSI device. Pressing reset causes it to chime again and the gray screen persists. Pressing interrupt shows a Sad Mac with the code 0000000F 0000000D, which goes away on reset. I also tried resetting the PRAM to no effect.

I just opened up the machine this week. The battery had not leaked and I removed it. I confirmed that the hard drive is functioning properly by mounting it on another Mac. The computer was very dusty inside so I cleaned out the dust to the best of my ability. I reassembled the machine and tested it again, but I get the same results as above.

Someone suggested that I try re-seating the ROM chips. I will try that next time I have the machine open. Until then, does anyone have any other ideas as to what could be wrong and what I can try to fix it?

• 2 months later...

I recently picked up a few fully functional standard SEs. I swapped the ROMs and SWIM chip out of the FDHD into one of the other SE boards, and it works perfectly fine, reads HD floppies and everything. When I insert or remove chips into the sockets on the FDHD logic board, it sounds very scratchy, so I wonder if the problem is just oxidation in the sockets. What is the recommended type of Deoxit to clean those out?