SCSI to Ethernet Adapter on New Hardware

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been running this Daynaport firmware variant for almost a week I think so far and I'm just posting to confirm that it runs 100% fine on my end with my se/30 Mac's. its a bit slower then the nuvolink firmware with transfer speeds in fetch and Appleshare but superjer2000 has told me he thinks its likely the daynaport driver on the Mac that is the bottleneck. ive actually started redesigning the pcb for an internal version withe IDC-50 pin connector should anyone be interested in that.. I'll be putting the design files up on GitHub when that's done so anyone can go build it, I have some future ideas regarding the scuznet that ive been talking to superjer2000 about and I certainly don't want to take the spotlight away from saybur and the incredible work his has done here with the scuznet, but its been great project to fiddle around with and I want to give something back that hopefully some of you can find useful

• 68kMLA Supporter
On 4/7/2021 at 8:53 AM, Chopsticks said:

I've been running this Daynaport firmware variant for almost a week I think so far and I'm just posting to confirm that it runs 100% fine on my end with my se/30 Mac's. its a bit slower then the nuvolink firmware with transfer speeds in fetch and Appleshare but superjer2000 has told me he thinks its likely the daynaport driver on the Mac that is the bottleneck. ive actually started redesigning the pcb for an internal version withe IDC-50 pin connector should anyone be interested in that.. I'll be putting the design files up on GitHub when that's done so anyone can go build it, I have some future ideas regarding the scuznet that ive been talking to superjer2000 about and I certainly don't want to take the spotlight away from saybur and the incredible work his has done here with the scuznet, but its been great project to fiddle around with and I want to give something back that hopefully some of you can find useful

It turns out I was wrong about the reason for the lower transfer speeds.

There is a marked difference in transfer speeds using the Daynaport firmware (based on GETing a file via FTP with Fetch) depending on whether I write the file to a ScuzNet volume or a separate hard disk.

On my SE/30, using a 6MB file, transfer rates stabilize at about 55kB/s to a ScuzNet disk and closer to 90kB/s on my spinning hard disk (on a larger file I topped out closer to 98kB/s with Daynaport over FTP).  AppleTalk (AppleShare) performance shows a similar difference in percentage terms.

I ran MacBench and on the Mix test, my Scuznet disk scored fairly well (i.e. 128 or so versus Pmac 6100/60 at 100) but there is a marked difference in copy times with my internal hard disk and Scuznet:  Duplicating a 6MB file with my ScuzNet disk takes about 35 seconds whereas it takes around 10 seconds with my internal disk.

What's really weird is other than for these network tests and Finder copying tests, Scuznet's disk performance feels quite snappy in regular usage.  Boot times are completely fine and I don't feel like app load times are really any different so I don't know what to make of this.  Overall, I'm happy with the speed and stability I'm getting so I'm not sure if I'll pursue this much more.  I think I will try running Fetch via ScuzNet on my SE/30 with a SCSI2SD and see if there is any incremental improvement.  One other item that's quite odd - when I was running the original Nuvolink firmware, my transfer speeds were better than with the Daynaport firmware so I'm not sure if there is some kind of odd interaction there.  I did go back to the Nuvolink firmware to test the disk performance of the Scuznet and it seemed about the same as the Daynaport firmware).

I have been getting the odd freeze error on shutdown if, and only if, I don't use AppleTalk (i.e. don't mount any shares) and only run a TCP program and then proceed to shutdown.  Every so often the system freezes doing something on the network.  I can force quit the finder, open the AppleTalk control panel (AppleTalk gets disabled by the system prior to this), click on "Don't make Appletalk active when closing the Control Panel", force quitting the finder again and then shutting down.  It seems like the Daynaport driver is sending something out in this particular circumstance that I haven't been able to trap yet but I'm working on that.

Edited by superjer2000