Jump to content

SCSI to Ethernet Adapter on New Hardware


Recommended Posts

I finished building my Scuznets and am in the process of programming them. I have firmware loaded on the first board but I haven’t set any of the options yet as I wanted to at least make sure my programmer was going to work. 
 

What I did realize though is that I don’t have a db25 m/m cable as all of my external SCSI stuff is centronics 50. 
 

What is everyone using for a 25 pin m/m cable?  Does a standard straight through extension cable have enough shielding?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, superjer2000 said:

I finished building my Scuznets and am in the process of programming them. I have firmware loaded on the first board but I haven’t set any of the options yet as I wanted to at least make sure my programmer was going to work. 
 

What I did realize though is that I don’t have a db25 m/m cable as all of my external SCSI stuff is centronics 50. 
 

What is everyone using for a 25 pin m/m cable?  Does a standard straight through extension cable have enough shielding?

I've only tried mine with a DB25 SCSI cable that I think came from a SCSI Zip Drive.

 

Not an expert, but I doubt you'd hurt anything trying a non-SCSI DB25 cable. I do know that the 25-pin connector is not really SCSI compliant as-is, so adding a non-compliant cable into the mix might have a higher chance of not working. 

 

You could also just use a DB25 to CN50 adapter on both ends. Two of those would probably cost roughly the same as a DB25 SCSI cable. Unfortunately, SCSI cables on eBay are quite expensive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Michael_b said:

 

Not an expert, but I doubt you'd hurt anything trying a non-SCSI DB25 cable.

 

I wouldn't do this. Parallel DB25 cables tend to have the GND lines connected together, while having a different pinout from DB25 SCSI. It wouldn't work, and has the potential to do damage if voltages are sent where they shouldn't!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would buzz out the lines to make sure they are straight through but as per the prior reply DB25 for SCSI is maybe already a bit suspect so I was looking for a recommendation on a half decent cable as these aren’t as readily available. There is a mono price cable on amazon that is 3ft which might be better but the reviews indicate somebody got a Centronics cable instead and the specs state “Cable may not match image or specifications on this page”. Yikes!!

 

For now I’m using 2 MM and 1 FF mini gender changer and it’s plugged right into the back of the Mac. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2021 at 4:27 PM, Chopsticks said:

I had issues with he first board I built but demented to make a second one using new parts and the networking works with the following issues noticed, though I can't be certain if its and issue with the boards firmware or with my lan setup at this time. perhaps some of you whom have one can check these if my issues are isolated or common:

1. large file transfers will randomly freeze the Mac while using Fetch 4.0.3

2. Appletalk via ethernet doesn't work, it freezes the Mac. I have A2Server on my network and while I can 'see' it on the Mac it freezes the system

 

I have another se/30 that has a network card in the PDS slot and I don't have either of the issues I pointed out above. both systems are rung MacOS 7.5.5, but ive tried 7.0.1 and 7.1

I also have the same issues if I use classic networking rather the Open Transport v1.3

 

also if anyone is trying to setup the SD-card I found that if I put a blank card in it and use a program called SCSI Director 4.0 then I can format it and make partitions directly on the Mac, might be worth adding that to the Github page instructions perhaps?

Interestingly enough the two boards I built are also freezing for me with AppleTalk,

 

I tried first on my SE/30s (one with PDS lan card and the other without) and then after on a Classic II.  All running 7.1. If network cable is unplugged systems boot. If plugged in and EtherTalk is active, freeze on boot.  If cable is plugged in and EtherTalk is not selected I can get to the desktop, but when I click EtherTalk and then go to the chooser, I can usually see my server before it Freezes and sometimes even connect but it freezes right after.  I tried the nuvotech and focus drivers.

 

My SD card isn’t working either. Patched drive setup/ HDSC setup won’t select that SCSI ID. LIDO sees it but gives me a bad scsi (phase) error.  SCSI Director allows me to select the drive but shows as not ready.  I haven’t tried to delete all the partitions on my cards (there is likely a FAT partition by default.  But I did throw in my SCSI2SD card as I figured that would work but it didn’t make a difference.

 

i haven’t had time to try to troubleshoot yet.  I am pretty sure on my soldering but you never know.  The card is recognized by the Nuvotech drivers and as noted the mass storage scsi Id shows up, it just isn’t allowing me to partition.  My Initial plans are to: Review solder joints on ICs and connect to the serial debugging interface and maybe recompiling just with mass storage and then just with Ethernet.

 

For those that have successfully built:

 

Did you use the 64 or 128 Atxmega?  I’m using the 64.

Has anybody else gotten AppleShare working with an SE30?  What OS?
I am using the newest Windows 10 version of Microchip studio.  For anyone that currently has a working board, can you please post your .elf firmware file and clarify what vintage it is?  (Ie before in-Mac sd card formatting was implemented and which MCU, 64 OR 128)

 

@Chopsticks You said it worked on your IIci?
 

Also, I’m running a Linux Netatalk server for reference.

 

Thanks!  I’m looking forward to solving this!

 

 

Edited by superjer2000
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, superjer2000 said:

Interestingly enough the two boards I built are also freezing for me with AppleTalk,

 

I tried first on my SE/30s (one with PDS lan card and the other without) and then after on a Classic II.  All running 7.1. If network cable is unplugged systems boot. If plugged in and EtherTalk is active, freeze on boot.  If cable is plugged in and EtherTalk is not selected I can get to the desktop, but when I click EtherTalk and then go to the chooser, I can usually see my server before it Freezes and sometimes even connect but it freezes right after.  I tried the nuvotech and focus drivers.

 

My SD card isn’t working either. Patched drive setup/ HDSC setup won’t select that SCSI ID. LIDO sees it but gives me a bad scsi (phase) error.  SCSI Director allows me to select the drive but shows as not ready.  I haven’t tried to delete all the partitions on my cards (there is likely a FAT partition by default.  But I did throw in my SCSI2SD card as I figured that would work but it didn’t make a difference.

 

i haven’t had time to try to troubleshoot yet.  I am pretty sure on my soldering but you never know.  The card is recognized by the Nuvotech drivers and as noted the mass storage scsi Id shows up, it just isn’t allowing me to partition.  My Initial plans are to: Review solder joints on ICs and connect to the serial debugging interface and maybe recompiling just with mass storage and then just with Ethernet.

 

For those that have successfully built:

 

Did you use the 64 or 128 Atxmega?  I’m using the 64.

Has anybody else gotten AppleShare working with an SE30?  What OS?
I am using the newest Windows 10 version of Microchip studio.  For anyone that currently has a working board, can you please post your .elf firmware file and clarify what vintage it is?  (Ie before in-Mac sd card formatting was implemented)

 

Thanks!  I’m looking forward to solving this!

 

 

this is smiler to the issues ive had, firstly do double check you solder connections and make sure all the flux is gone. as for the sdcard I formatted mine as MBR Fat32 in my modern computer then I reformatted it with scsi director 4 fwiw. what brand sd card are you using, might be worth trying another card just to rule that out.

 

like you ive trie both the Nuvotech and the focus drives and ive also tried both 64 and 128 atmegas (with compile target ic changed of course)

ive also tired a firmware that was send form another user with no change to my symptoms. 

 

I'd be curious to hear if you have any issues transferring say 100mb files using FTP to your se/30 or classic etc... I get random a freezes after transferring some data.

 

as you've probably read ive tried a different router between two systems and it didn't help and  im waiting on some new PHY ethernet IC's to arrive in the mail (current world events aren't helping with shipping delays). if I still have the same issues then it is most definitely either a firmware issue or a driver issue with this hardware??

 

forgot to mention too, vibe built two boards and used two Mac se/30's for testing, ive also tried A2server and well as Mac OS9.2.2 and Mac OS X server 10.4.11 serving files and I have the exact same issues under all setups and configurations, yet my PDS Lan card worths flawlessly in every single setup... 

 

I spend a very long time going through all the varried setups testing, then testing again and ive yet to have any real luck... yet

Edited by Chopsticks
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Daniël Oosterhuis said:

 

I wouldn't do this. Parallel DB25 cables tend to have the GND lines connected together, while having a different pinout from DB25 SCSI. It wouldn't work, and has the potential to do damage if voltages are sent where they shouldn't!

I second this, do make sure is a 25-25pin straight though cable, in the pc world 25pin cables are either wired to printer port use or they are old school 25pin serial port cables so I highly doubt either would work thb

Edited by Chopsticks
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Chopsticks said:

 

 

I'd be curious to hear if you have any issues transferring say 100mb files using FTP to your se/30 or classic etc... I get random a freezes after transferring some data.

 


Thanks. I’ll give this a try although when I was playing around with it yesterday it seemed like I wasn’t getting any network activity (even over tcp) unless AppleTalk was  turned on over Ethernet.  Now that was on my SE30 that had an internal nic so ,habe there was an issue there.  
 

in an earlier message you indicated you had it working on a IIci. Did I read that correctly?  I’m trying to figure out if this issue is a compact Mac thing or not.  I haven’t pulled out a non compact Mac to test yet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Chopsticks said:

this is smiler to the issues ive had, firstly do double check you solder connections and make sure all the flux is gone. as for the sdcard I formatted mine as MBR Fat32 in my modern computer then I reformatted it with scsi director 4 fwiw. what brand sd card are you using, might be worth trying another card just to rule that out.

 

Last question - where did you get your PCBs? I'm assuming it's not the case but there could be an issue with the PCB.  I got mine from  @switch998 was kind enough to print and mail out the extras- it looks like he got his assembled - @switch998 did your board(s) end up working without issue, including with AppleTalk?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, superjer2000 said:


Thanks. I’ll give this a try although when I was playing around with it yesterday it seemed like I wasn’t getting any network activity (even over tcp) unless AppleTalk was  turned on over Ethernet.  Now that was on my SE30 that had an internal nic so ,habe there was an issue there.  
 

in an earlier message you indicated you had it working on a IIci. Did I read that correctly?  I’m trying to figure out if this issue is a compact Mac thing or not.  I haven’t pulled out a non compact Mac to test yet. 

I had one working with ftp originally but after further testing I discovered the issues I now have. at the time I was only transferring files around 1-4mb in size. only tried on a couple se/30's ill have to read back over my notes and forum posts to see if I tried it with the iici logic board I have around here as I can't remember if I did or didn't to be honest

 

14 hours ago, superjer2000 said:

 

Last question - where did you get your PCBs? I'm assuming it's not the case but there could be an issue with the PCB.  I got mine from  @switch998 was kind enough to print and mail out the extras- it looks like he got his assembled - @switch998 did your board(s) end up working without issue, including with AppleTalk?

I had to seperate runs of pcbs made, I used JLCPCB both times, but I do get a fair amount of different circuitboards made through them the last couple years if not longer. ive never had an issue with any of the pcbs made so far so I guess its possible they goofed something up in fabrication but as I got new boards made a couple months later at this point I don't think there is a issue with that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, landoGriffin said:

If I remember correctly, it was a soldering issue. There were a couple pins bridged.

 

Thanks - I think that is going to be at least part of my issue as well.

 

I started playing with the firmware a bit to put in other debug points to see where things aren't working, starting with the SD card.  The board is failing to initialize after its 250 tries which prompted me to download kicad so I could open up the schematics / board layout and check the signals to the SD card which all seem to just tie in to the ATxmega other than power/ground.  Probing there seems to indicate I have a bridge between Pins 43 (SD_MOSI) and 44 (Ground) on the ATxmega, although I cannot see it with my magnifying glass it's gotta be there as there is a short on those two pins. 

 

I'm generally used to not having any soldering issues so this is a bit of a surprise but that being said, going through and troubleshooting my mistakes here will be fun.

 

Once I get that sorted, I'll keep plugging away at the ethernet freeze issue - To ease troubleshooting, I swapped out the binary debugging codes with single characters so I can more easily monitor what is happening as it's happening.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2021 at 10:09 PM, superjer2000 said:

@Chopsticks  thanks for all this. I’ve started  with the logging process and have put in some of my own debugging  messages to help figure out what’s happening. I’ll report back once I have a better idea what is happening. 

no worries, let me know if you find anything and/or have any other tests you think are worth doing. i make a lot of pcb's and deal with surface mount soldering almost daily as well as a lot of restoration/repair work so i've been very stumped as to the cause and really just want to figure out what the issue is

Edited by Chopsticks
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...