• 68kMLA Supporter

I would like to clarify the current functions of Zip Drives: With the most current releases of MacOS (10.6 to 10.13), you cannot write to Standard HFS partitions. This is the file system used by the Compact Macs. There was a driver that allowed for this in newer operating systems, but it seems to have stopped development. My current process has been to download files onto an HFS+ flash drive, transfer the files onto an HFS compatible iBook G3 running OS9 and use a USB Zip Drive to transfer files to my older Macintoshes. 

It would be much more convenient to use my modern mac to write standard HFS partitions, but without drivers, this is not an option. Does anyone know a better way of doing things?

On 13. ledna 2018 at 7:05 PM, HAL2001 said:

What would be a good bridge Mac? I’m trying to revive a SE/30 and maybe some more compacts in the future. My software is on all kinds of hard disks, (USB and SCSI) floppy’s, CD’s, etc. I’m thinking of a PowerMac G4 with USB and SCSI and a external floppy drive. Would that be a good idea? If so, which G4 would you experts recommend?

I use Beige G3. Its have old ports (adb, SCSI, appletalk), floppy drive and also you can add USB, FW, better GPU. I am dualbooting Mac OS 9.2 and 10.3.9 on it.

On January 13, 2018 at 12:05 PM, HAL2001 said:

What would be a good bridge Mac? I’m trying to revive a SE/30 and maybe some more compacts in the future. My software is on all kinds of hard disks, (USB and SCSI) floppy’s, CD’s, etc. I’m thinking of a PowerMac G4 with USB and SCSI and a external floppy drive. Would that be a good idea? If so, which G4 would you experts recommend?

I would try a desktop or mini-tower Power Macintosh G3. That's what I use. I have a USB card for it too.

It has SCSI and IDE sockets on the motherboard, so you can connect bare SCSI drives to it, which can be handy.

I use a Powerbook G3 Main street as my bridge Mac.  The passive matrix screen is terrible though, so I would recommend getting a model that has an active matrix screen.  I added USB via the cardbus slot and use an SD card via a USB SD card reader to transfer files between my PC and this Mac. 

Edited by MacFox
  • 68kMLA Supporter

Add another voice to the chorus suggesting a beige G3.  I use my G3 All-in-one and it works wonderfully for the job.  Granted, it's been upgraded to the hilt (1GHz G4, USB, Firewire, Wings card, and a Zip drive) but it worked well even before I got bit by the upgrade bug...except for the Zip drive which I didn't realize could be killed by a CRT and now suffers from the click of death.

What I've found though is that it's much easier to just use an external SCSI hard drive as a go-between for my older machines that don't have ethernet cards.  Just about anything I'd be transferring is big enough that using LocalTalk is a pain.

2 hours ago, davidg5678 said:

I would like to clarify the current functions of Zip Drives: With the most current releases of MacOS (10.6 to 10.13), you cannot write to Standard HFS partitions. This is the file system used by the Compact Macs. There was a driver that allowed for this in newer operating systems, but it seems to have stopped development. My current process has been to download files onto an HFS+ flash drive, transfer the files onto an HFS compatible iBook G3 running OS9 and use a USB Zip Drive to transfer files to my older Macintoshes. 

It would be much more convenient to use my modern mac to write standard HFS partitions, but without drivers, this is not an option. Does anyone know a better way of doing things?

I will be using an iMac G4 700MHz with os 9.2.2

Edited by HAL2001

I use a 7200. It can run OS7 thru 9. It also has SCSI, ethernet, ADB, PCI slots for a USB card. I also use an iLamp with a FAT formatted USB drive. I can download to my modern Mac and transfer to my iLamp with the FAT drive, from there i can fill up a USB Zip disk. Or I can fill up an SD card on my modern Mac and stick it in my Floppy EMU for older Macs.