haplain's never-ending quest

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I was able to work out a deal on that W.A.L.T. The seller was really cool. I've never seen one in this color before. After some poking around I realized a PB 140 charger would work to start it up. That being said, I cleaned it up and bit and plugged it in. It turns on... sadly the hard drive is being rude. It spins up and seeks but doesn't load anything. The person I bought it from said he didn't erase it or anything. Do you have any suggestions?

IMG_6405.jpeg

IMG_6406.jpeg

IMG_6407.jpeg

IMG_6408.jpeg

IMG_6409.jpeg

IMG_6411.jpeg

IMG_6412.jpeg

IMG_6413.jpeg

IMG_6414.jpeg

IMG_6415.jpeg

IMG_6416.jpeg

IMG_6417.jpeg

IMG_6418.jpeg

IMG_6419.jpeg

The Logic Board looks like a Powerbook 100's one (probably is) screen don't remember but can also be issued from the same range.

Concerning the hard drive, there is a trick to make those work again (removing the top cover and using some glue to cover a small hole in the arm bumper)

• 68kMLA Supporter
7 hours ago, haplain said:

So I was able to work out a deal on that W.A.L.T.  The seller was really cool.  I've never seen one in this color before.

Is it an earlier prototype than the others you've come across?  It certainly doesn't look ready for primetime the way things are literally taped, glued, and/or soldered anywhere they'd fit inside the case.

Well guys, thanks or your help again! I serious appreciate you all very much and your deep knowledge/expertise. I can now safely say two things:

1) I got the HD working!

2) I have the only working W.A.L.T. in the world. It's really a goofy piece of hardware.

BUT

I cannot seem to figure out a way to back this thing up. It does have the 30 (I think) pin SCSI connector but I'm struggling with this. I don't want to mess with it too much until I can figure out a way to back it up. The software is too special to loose forever.

FABULOUS! :approve: Literally a thing of fables.

A couple of things come to mind:

Install the drive in another Mac to image it, but that can be complicated by SCSI Voodoo. Especially if you haven't got the right hardware to do that.

I think the easiest thing to do might be to install it in a PowerBook that's set up ahead of time for SCSI Disk Mode. You don't need a Mac OS in that case, works with an uninitialized drive for OS installs. So long as the PRAM settings stay in place,  with the disk mode cable installed it should come up at whatever ID you set before swapping the drives. You can Image it while it's mounted as a Mac volume on the target machine.

YMMV, get lots of feedback here before trying it. [:)]

BTW, i will replace capacitors in those boards, many capacitors looks bad (LB and LCD area)

The funny thing about this WALT is that they have used many components from the Powerbook 100, including the small modem cover which is found in the battery area, here is taped on one side and hold by a screw in the other side, while is just slided in the two battery prongs in the 100.

12 hours ago, bibilit said:

The easiest way will be using the HDI 30 connector on the back and imaging the hard drive on any other removable hardware (HD, Jaz, Zip....)

I was thinking hardware/firmware/software might not be set up to use the HDI30 port at this point of development. But that's probably silly, it does look like a regular PB100 production board. Does it boot into a full, standard OS? Which one?

The software is too special to loose forever.

If we can have a look at it, apparently is running Hyper card instead of the Finder.

but I'm struggling with this

Just thinking, will probably work using the HD Target mode with the appropriate cable or adaptor ?

@haplain I would highly recommend getting ahold of CuriousMarc.  He's a Bay Area local and deals with the Computer History Museum on a regular basis.  He and his buddies are the smartest guys around when it comes to the obscure and the historically important.  Lots of bearded veterans from HP, Xerox PARC, Bell, etc.  They restore all sorts of historical and sometimes not-so-historical equipment, and I bet they'd be interested in helping you out.  Including recapping it and transferring the data off the HDD.

My favorite project they worked on was restring a Xerox Alto.  I watched the series from start to finish as they were doing it, it was great. :)

Edited by olePigeon
7 hours ago, bibilit said:

Just thinking, will probably work using the HD Target mode with the appropriate cable or adaptor ?

That was my thinking, just thought it might be a bit more safe with the drive installed in another PowerBook for some reason. The only imaging tools I have used are dedicated HDD formatting/repair tool applications. Is there native software in a typical OS install for imaging the boot drive?

I'm on the "let the experts handle it" bandwagon for this one. :approve:

Thanks for all your help/guidance. I'll probably reach out to some of the people you all recommended. I don't want to mess anything up. I'm really good with hardware but incredibly poor with the software side of things. 

I've attempted to "quit" what looks like the application the W.A.L.T. is running but then it just loads the same software back up so it's difficult to see what, if any Mac OS, it's running. Even when you start the thing, instead of saying "Welcome To Macintosh" it says "Welcome to WALT" which I've never seen before. I'll send some of the components out to have them recapped but don't want to continue to mess with it until that is done/until I can get someone to create an image of the drive. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I keep a linux machine around with a SCSI card specifically for this purpose, However I have not drug it out in 5+ years or so. Not since the move anyway. 

I back up all my drives using DD creating image files. the image file can actually be mounted in an emulator as it is, afterwords. 

I have been meaning to see if I can get my raspberry pi running with a USB to SCSI dongle, but unsure if the drivers are available for arm. 

Edited by techknight
11 hours ago, techknight said:

I have been meaning to see if I can get my raspberry pi running with a USB to SCSI dongle, but unsure if the drivers are available for arm. 

Oh, that’s a really good point. A Rasp Pi could potentially be really useful in this scenario, but yeah, the drivers may be a limitation. I’d be interested to hear if you ever go down this route.