Tangerine Dream

ShadowKiller will take care of disabling window shadows. I haven't tried it though as I ran Panther on the iMac.

I had Tiger on my iBook but that was 800Mhz and had the 32MB Radeon card so it was a bit nippier.

Yeah the Java updates for 10.4 are ridiculous.

For tweaking the system I swear by OnyX. It's also good for general maintenance. The link for the Tiger version is at the end of the post under Related Links.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Proto. I take a look at Shadowkiller. I had Tiger on my eMac 800mhz and it was great, even better when I overclocked it to 1.27ghz. I think the G4 vs. G3 makes a big difference. I had it on my Blueberry iMac from a few years back, but didn't use it much -- mostly a Classic machine -- so I don't remember if it was pokey or not (I'm sure it was). I do use Onyx and running it is on my list of things to do after killing Dashboard and Spotlight (when I figure out how).

Here's a thread with good info on tweaking 10.4 for older machines:

http://68kmla.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17618

defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean YES

Then

killall Dock

You don't actually need to kill spotlight, once it's indexed the first time there shouldn't be a speed penalty. Shadowkiller will give you better performance, Tiger uses far more horsepower then older versions of OS X for the GUI and the Rage 128 isn't up to the task so you're burning CPU cycles for pretty shadows.