If I may also add:

You can use Sawtooth/Gigabit Ethernet CPUs in a Digital Audio without any changes at all. Apple System Profiler may say it is running slow but other programs can generally detect it properly. (I have personally tested this, including changing the resistors and running benches) The only issue is that you are running a really slow CPU and the bus gets dropped down to 100MHz but it is good for testing a suspect motherboard or CPU.

I have not tried in a QS, but the QS is similar enough to teh DA that it *should* probably work. ymmv

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
You can use Sawtooth/Gigabit Ethernet CPUs in a Digital Audio without any changes at all.

Not for dual CPU modules. In a Digital Audio G4 the Dual module overlaps all of the RAM slots and the mounting holes are backwards.

123241149_apple-powermac-g4-450mhz-cpu-dual-processor-ebay.jpg

To go dual in the Digital Audio you need modules that work in the Quicksilver. Looks like the same module, but almost mirror oppisite.

$(KGrHqEOKpgE5YvRkNP!BOhuqoNlpQ~~60_35.GIF

It does look like the CPU card would cover the RAM slots in that case, I never did look into the duals.

and the mounting holes are backwards.
but how can the mounting holes be backward when you have two on either side of the connector and one on the other side of the CPU? (unless you are rotating the card, but it could never actually connect in that case.)

Actually, I should mention that a single CPU Sawtooth/GBE heatsink blocks one of the RAM slots in a DA/QS but the other two remain open.

http://www.poopr.org/images/uieyoazu70zugrg7q8ll.jpg

IIRC it is only the heatsink, so you could trim it if you were *really* desperate. but this is really only good for testing or a very dire emergency.

• 6 months later...

I did just that in my brother's Cube. I took the dual 500 MHz proc board from a dead Gig-E PowerMac, relocated those inductors and slapped it in with a custom heat spreader on the stock heatsink. It also got a full 1.5 GB RAM, 128 MB GeForce 6200, large hard drive and quiet fan. It even runs Leopard decently.

Yeah buddy! I've got three Cube setups in my room at my desk 1 is this dual 500 setup running 10.4 GeForce 3, 1 dual 1.5 running 9.2.2/10.4/10.5 on a 256GB SSD, GeForce 3 and too many other mods to list, and a Sonnet 1.2 running OS X Public Beta on a Rage 128. I really wanted to try and get a dual 1.25 from a G4 Tower but could never find the time.

• 4 years later...

Question.  I am looking at a 1ghz Powerlogix processor upgrade for my 450mhz G4 Cube which I use as an OS9 Gamebox (among other things.)  I only run 9.2.2 on an 80GB hard drive.

At any rate, the CPU upgrade card comes with a fan but no install instructions (pretty sure I can figure that out) and no firmware.

This is what worries me.  I don't want to buy the CPU upgrade if I can't find the firmware that might be needed.  There are some good install videos here:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/faq_cube/power-mac-g4-cube-how-to-install-upgrade-processor-cpu.html

And further info here:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/g3CARDS/G3_1.1GHz_vs_G4_1GHz_review/index5.html

Any tips?  Do i NEED the firmware?  Or should it run "plug and play" on a fully updated 9.2.2 OS.

Thanks!!

• 2 months later...

Are Quicksilvers really restricted to just Quicksilver CPU modules and rare and obscenely expensive 3rd party upgrades? That's unfortunate, I'd like dual CPUs or a faster single in my QS'02 but 933MHz is the fastest single and the 1GHz dual module is pretty hard to find...