The Definitive Guide to Connecting your SE/30

• 68kMLA Supporter

You shouldn’t need a bridge computer. I ftp files between my SE/30 and iMac running Mojave all the time. Try BinHexing the file then transferring it (“binhex encode filename” from Terminal on your modern Mac). That said, AIFF files shouldn’t have a resource fork unless I’m very mistaken, so I doubt that’s your issue. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Hey guys,

I'm looking at making another pass through the Guide to update broken links, make minor tweaks (I saw the note about Lubuntu there @Von and will update it as so to reference it) and so forth.

Please reply here with any suggestions you may have or findings about the Guide which may be in error or need to be reworded.

2 minutes ago, Mk.558 said:

Hey guys,

I'm looking at making another pass through the Guide to update broken links, make minor tweaks (I saw the note about Lubuntu there @Von and will update it as so to reference it) and so forth.

Please reply here with any suggestions you may have or findings about the Guide which may be in error or need to be reworded.

That guide helped me get the Lubuntu VM set up such that every OS that I have running can now share files.  THx so much for pulling it together!  

I took notes as I was setting it up and these 2 links helped me get SAMBA set up so that it was accessible Windows/DOS/BeOS/OSX:

SAMBA info for Win connections
https://www.howtogeek.com/176471/how-to-share-fiwww.howles-between-windows-and-linux/

Promising DOS info https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/virtualbox/?page_id=374

5 minutes ago, Von said:

<snip>

Fancy. Glad you got it worked out.

Edit: The Guide does not cover SAMBA because that's not really a Mac specific protocol that can be worked about with the older machines we're focused on, so I can't include it in the Guide. I like how you got it working though, op success!

Edited by Mk.558
14 minutes ago, Mk.558 said:

Fancy. Glad you got it worked out.

Edit: The Guide does not cover SAMBA because that's not really a Mac specific protocol that can be worked about with the older machines we're focused on, so I can't include it in the Guide. I like how you got it working though, op success!

Makes sense.

If I were a judge at the InterWebs Olympics, I'd give that article a 10.  It is one of the best infonuggets I have come across.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I never managed to get my se/30 to share with my OS 10.3.9 iMac rev b without using a bridge machine. I used a os8.6 5200cd which managed to see both my se/30 and imac although cool and most useful for large transfers I actually prefer using zip disks between machines its somehow more satisfying if slow lol

• 8 months later...

Your page is such a great resource.

I really appreciate the benchmarking info around file transfers on the More page, because I am waffling around on options to connect my SE/30 (currently without an ethernet card) for file sharing and/or internet.

Do I spring at least for an ethernet card or the SCSI/ethernet kinds of options? Looks like $100 if not more if I am patient.

Do I stick with my current setup of a direct connection via AppleTalk to a Color Classic or use the Classic or a PowerMac 5215CD as a bridge? Very slow but... free.

So, thanks! You give me more to read and think about.

Edited by NathanHill
  • 2 weeks later...

Of course.

I would recommend an Ethernet PDS card. You can try looking for IIsi cards, they're the same bus and type. If I remember right you can also try checking some mailing lists. Ask around -- the 030 PDS cards are around, although eBay is a bit barren on them at the moment. I'd prefer Farallon cards, they usually have built-in RJ45 jacks, so you won't need an AUI - RJ45 adapter.

In other news I've thought about doing another semi-minor update: by which all external links will link to local backup copies of the webpages, aside from download centers like Apple's Older Software List. The only issue of note that has been pointed out is that "AFP Bridge" is not only inaccurate, it's confusing. Other than that I've not heard about about any desired additions, corrections or modifications.

• 3 months later...
On 1/6/2019 at 2:05 AM, razo said:

Crutch,
Whenever you are at the SE/30: are you able to choose a .AIF file on the SE/30, transfer it to the Mojave computer, then send it back to the SE/30 and still be able to play it?
I might perhaps just have a bad FTP configuration.

No need for binhexing (this is an ASCII wrapper that’s meant for email transport of Mac binary files, as email isn’t binary safe), "Macbinary" is enough and saves you ~30% transfer time, as it is efficient. You can do this on the macOS commandline, too "macbinary".

If Macbinary files are destroyed during FTP transport, check whether you have enabled "binary transfer mode" in your FTP client. Some default to ASCII, which is nearly never useful.

I transfer quite a bunch of stuff backward and forward the SE/30 and it doesn’t destroy data.

• 2 months later...

I am trying to get my SE/30 to "talk" to my Mac OS Tiger Server MacMini2,1 to "puddle-jump" to my MacMini with High Sierra.

I have installed Sys 7.5.3 on my Floppy EMU satisfactorily and now I must add Open Transport 1.3 and ASC 3.7.4.

I downloaded the "gold master" version of OT 1.3 from Macintosh Garden, because I read that is the only version that will install on System 7.5.3 (below 8.1).

It consists of 4 Install folders but these are not image files to use DiskCopy to make 4 floppy disks.

When I try to install it directly from the file from Macintosh Garden, it stops and keeps asking for "Install 1" 

I read somewhere else of a a user having a similar problem even after he attempted to copy them each to 4 floppy disks.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Edited by MichaelLAX

Also, I downloaded AppleShare Client 3.7.4.img from Macintosh Garden and I can't seem to mount the image.

Everything other image file I have downloaded off the Internet for my Mac SE/30 I could mount, either in:

1) In High Sierra, I get the warning: The following disk images couldn't be opened - AppleShare_Client_3.7.4; Reason: Image not recognized.

2) In SheepShaver with OS 9.02, I get the message: The Mount Image operation did not complete. (-39). An unexpected end-of-file was encountered in "AppleShare_Client+3.7.4.img" which may indicate that it is corrupted or damaged.

3) And on my Mac SE/30 running. System 7.5.3, It will not open this image either.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Posted (edited)

The image file you downloaded is a Disk Copy 6.3+ image file and probably lost some of of its information. Pretty sure that's a self-mounting image but I could be seriously mistaken.

I wonder if my website has something you can read with almost any Mac System 6 and later...can be copied over the network...decoded and then you can work with it any way you see fit...

Edited by Mk.558