Daystar IIsi/SE/30 Adapter, $150 on Ebay!!?

• 68kMLA Supporter
I believe the IIsi card faces the wrong way to use it in a SE/30 without some major hacks (adapters atleast), and IIsi with an 040 are not exactly prized like a SE/30 would be.

The IIsi adapter plug faces horizontally, instead of vertically. It's not too difficult to get a right angle Euro-DIN connector and plug it into the adapter's plug to turn it 90 degrees and face it upward. I believe this is documented on Gamba's page.

For $150 can't you just buy the proper adapter for an SE/30?

I don't know. I have never seen the adapter which is actually, specifically for the SE/30. So I have no way of knowing what it would actually sell for. :-)

http://www.artmix.com/ts_adapter.html

3rd party mod with PDS passthrough, a bit more then $150 since the US to YEN valuation is bad these days (plus shipping).

While I think putting an 040 or fast 030 into a SE/30 is cool, its just not worth the money to do so. I would also rather have a full quadra with expansion then an accelerator in a IIsi (cheaper too from the looks of it).

Somebody was looking for the SE/30 grayscale adapter recently on a classic computer email list I am on not knowing how pricey they are.

Wow, just the adapter, with no upgrade card or other peripheral went for $150. That's crazy.

Scams galore on EBAY. "For SE/30"??? Pahleez! Are people that stupid? Does one not know the internal structure of the SE/30? Does no one see that left edge (square socket part) of the board sinking down to the same depth as the PDS connector itself? Something should click in the mind of any SE/30 owner (who has viewed the internals of his or her machine), that the left edge will be a problem when trying to connect that card to the PDS slot of the SE/30!

Any Daystar adapter made for the IIsi is not the same as the Daystar adapter made for the SE/30. They are 2 separate products. Yes, I have an original Daystar owner's manual that shows all the Daystar adapters ever made, and IIsi and SE/30 adapters are very differently shaped beasts (even if they both will "electrically operate just fine" in either the IIsi or SE/30). I know because I once owned a IIsi adapter and it won't fit without your cutting up the metal chassis of the SE/30. But I removed the logic board of the SE/30 (with all the wires still connected) and confirmed that the IIsi adapter does work to enable a Daystar accelerator to function in the SE/30.

Ultimately, someone wanted to buy that IIsi adapter from me and I informed the buyer that I did not want to sell it to an SE/30 owner. He told me he wanted to cut-up his SE/30 case. I was shocked to hear that but since he wanted it, I sold it to him for around US$35, which included EMS express mail shipping to his address in the USA. I did not list this on EBAY. This fellow simply read one of my old posts (made here prior to the hard drive crash) and emailed me offline expressing his interest in the card.

So I must repeat: a lot of listings on EBAY are little more that scams. These wicked sellers get away with it because they can always say "I didn't know what I was selling." And no, EBAY defenders, I don't "hate" EBAY or "all sellers." I just see a lot of activity that I personally define as "criminal" and I, not being a criminal myself, am not thrilled to see that happening, especially when it comes to classic Mac equipment sales. Sure, it's a free country. You have freedom to engage in unethical business transactions. But I don't have to like it. And I feel not desire to hide my feelings about this. I am very sensitive to scams on EBAY, and I absolute HATE the use of the word "rare" which these dark creatures use so often to lure the bait to their listings. When buying in EBAY, keep in mind that few things are truly rare (just watch EBAY daily for 2 weeks and you will see the truth in that, when the same kind of item pops up again and again.)

Sorry for the rant, but something triggered me to vent this morning about EBAY. 8-o

http://www.artmix.com/ts_adapter.html

3rd party mod with PDS passthrough, a bit more then $150 since the US to YEN valuation is bad these days (plus shipping).

Does anyone watch the Yahoo Exchange Rate page? The Yen has been as strong as the Dollar for a number of weeks now. Yes, it's pretty much ¥100 to US$1. That makes the price of the TS Adapter US$198 plus shipping from Japan.

Now that I just gotten off my podium about EBAY scams, I will admit that I paid almost $200 (including shipping to my Japanese address) for that TS Adapter, direct from Manabu Sakai at ARTMIX. However, he is not an mainstream EBAY seller (although I have seen a couple listings from him on EBAY in the distant past). And after speaking with him at length, it is clear that he created the TS Adapter himself and was forced to contract for "hundreds of pieces" from the Asian manufacturer. As such, he cannot get a return on his initial investment without charging a rather high price for the TS Adapter. But even if he didn't have such excessive inventory of the adapter, he could still justify the price because (a) he created it himself, for goodness sake, and (B) because who else sells anything like this for the SE/30? The TS Adapter is a modern product made for an obsolete machine. As such, the price makes logical sense. In contrast, many EBAY prices for no-so-rare, old equipment makes no logical sense to me.

Edited by Guest
Wow, just the adapter, with no upgrade card or other peripheral went for $150. That's crazy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150233099548&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005

No it isn't. Nor was any scam involved. The buyer had hazarded that much on the outcome of the auction. Those who didn't follow the auction are not in a position to judge the outcome, although they are entitled to be amazed or amused, according to taste. Top bid of five was $62 or so with half a minute to go, but that bid was proxy for a max. bid of the winning amount of $150.47 or more. It was only because of another bidder's failed attempt to do the same thing: place a bid high enough to overcome all other bids, that the winning bidder's max bid was revealed. The winning bidder wanted the card that much. Good luck to him/her/it/them. And good luck to the seller in receiving more than could reasonably have been expected.

Not even Charity Auctions—auctions to benefit charities, not to sell them—are charities themselves. Auctions are real, and only top bid wins.

As for the card itself, the seller made no bones about the mods needed to use the card in an SE/30 in his answer, on his selling page, to a question. Of the two IIsi 030 PDS cards from DayStar, the card shown may be less suited to an SE/30 for the reasons advanced by JDW. I have a DayStar IIsi DUALPORT, 1991, that lacks the downward board projection. It is, however, 7-3/8" long, with the IIci and IIsi PDS connectors. Without rushing out to the dining room table to make a mockup of SE/30 chassis, MLB and cards, I have no opinion about the greater 'suitability' of either card.

The only point at which I could have thought the seller to be on shaky ground was in his exhortation to buyers:

Bid now and watch the speed of your SE/30 increase by up to 5 times!

Why hasn't that method of acceleration occurred to us in this forum?

de

This thread inspired me to shoot some photos today. I've flickrized my TS Adapter & Daystar Turbo 040. I put comments under most of those photos, which explain a lot about the Adapter and the popular accelerator used in it.

I also uploaded a photo taken from my Daystar Turbo 040 User Manual that shows the actual SE/30 adapter from Daystar. It's not the best shot of the adapter, but it's the best I can do since I only have a B&W manual photo. But clearly, that IIsi adapter is a very different beast altogether.

As an aside, the MicroMac Mac IIsi PDS connector, (sic) P/No: 632-10036-002A, which with the Carrera040 card P/No: 632-10035-001A and 128kB cache card 632-10042-002A apparently forms a family, is so made (4-3/4" x 2-5/8") that it barely exceeds the length of the bottom 120-pin PDS connector. Altogether more compact than its DayStar analogue, but the Carrera card and any extra card must be installed horizontally, as with the DayStar adapter.

de

...any extra card must be installed horizontally, as with the DayStar adapter.

Per this comment, I've added extra comments today under two of my photos to make it clear that the Daystar SE/30 adapter mounts accelerators "vertically" whereas the TS Adapter mounts them "horizontally." Thank you for mentioning this, Equill.

Nor was any scam involved. The buyer had hazarded that much on the outcome of the auction.

While my post above was pounding on "sellers" mostly, my "Are people that stupid?" question was directed at buyers who keep such sellers in business. It takes two to tango, and both types trouble me. But that is why I explained my experience with a Daystar IIsi adapter. I sold it outside EBAY, not because I am incompetent or afraid of EBAY, but because I felt no need to drive up the price by inducing competition into a situation when one man came to me wanting to buy the card. I also refused the sale at the beginning, due to the fact that the Daystar IIsi adapter is not made to simply plug right into the SE/30.

My problem, as expressed above, with many auctions is they are not specific enough. And in my experience, I have sent emails to many sellers during the listing of various auctions, and I have found that many of these sellers know what they are selling, but they deliberately hide certain facts so as to drive up the price to unwitting buyers. Are buyers stupid for bidding in such a case? Sure. But many EBAY newbies fall into that category, as I myself did when I first started out. So I cannot be overly harsh on buyers, even though I will admit they bear a large responsibility here.

In the case of the listing posted in this thread, the buyer was stupid if they did not read the Q&A at the bottom of the listing. But the Q&A proves my point about sellers deliberately hiding things. You can see that the seller didn't want to come out and say the truth in his listing. And he only did so when confronted with a direct question about it. No, I don't think the seller was just "busy" and "forgot to mention that point." He knew full well what device he was selling and he knew full well it wouldn't fit into the SE/30 without major frame modification. But he also knows that Daystar branded adapters made for the SE/30 will fetch a high price. That's why he emphasized the SE/30 over the IIsi despite the fact this adapter is made for the IIsi!!! But this seller didn't stop there! No! He went on to emphasize that a competing adapter FOR THE SE/30, made in Japan (i.e., the TS Adapter), costs $200. He said that to drive up his listing price evening though the Daystar IIsi adapter he was selling was in no way comparable to the TS Adapter. Not only does the IIsi Adapter not fit into the SE/30 without major modification, the IIsi adapter also does not accommodate more than one PDS card like the TS Adapter! One would be hard pressed to be MORE misleading than this auction was!!!!

What would I have done if I were the EBAY seller listing that IIsi on EBAY? I would have been truthful. I would have mentioned that the adapter is "electrically compatible with the SE/30" but that "it won't fit without severe modification of the SE/30 chassis." I would not have mentioned the TS Adapter at all. And what would the result have been if the seller had said that? I don't know exactly, but I can say that I would have far greater respect for the seller, as I am sure would most classic Mac buyers on EBAY. And you know what? Buyers often bid higher when an honest and open seller is pitching a given item on EBAY. So honesty does bring financial rewards.

And that is my entire point here. No, I am not trying to single-handedly destroy EBAY or capitalism, for crying out loud. Nor do I think my words can usher in a Utopian society where are all men start doing what is right in business. I am more conservative than most of you out there and a realist too. But I believe in honesty and the presenting of "all the facts," and I am not ashamed of shouting it from the highest hill. Simply grabbing an old computing device, shooting a photo and labeling it as "RARE" and "Vintage" is not my idea of "honesty and integrity" on the part of a seller -- especially if that device won't fit inside another device you mentioned in your listing title!

As a business owner myself, I have made it a point to have the highest standard of ethical integrity in my own business. I therefore cannot agree with or become excited over lower standards of sales integrity.

... Altogether more compact than its DayStar analogue, but the Carrera card and any extra card must be installed horizontally, as with the DayStar adapter.

Yes. I could usefully, to be absolutely explicit, have inserted 'IIsi' into 'DayStar adapter' in that post, but the IIsi adapter was the subject of this thread. Nonetheless, JDW, your point is taken.

You also read more intent to disguise into the seller's listing than I do, and I don't quarrel with that because it is open to you to do so, but I am not as much inclined to view the seller as manipulative. I bought a DayStar Turbo040 from him in March:

This is the legendary Daystar Digital Turbo '040 accelerator upgrade card for early Mac computers. It includes 128 kb cache memoryand runs at 33 MHz (68LC040RC33B) Installation is plug-and-play using the PDS slot on IIci, IIvi and IIvx. It will also work in Mac II, IIx, IIcx, IIsi and SE/30 but requires an appropriate adapter from Daystar. Plugging this card directly into the PDS slot on these machines without an an adapter or using a non-Daystar adapter will destroy both the card and the computer! These cards come up occassionally on EBAY. For IIcx or IIx machines the CPU must be socketed (removable), not soldered to the motherboard to use this card.

Check out http://lowendmac.com/sable/05/1129.html for more details on the Daystar Turbo '040.

The latest software will be provided to the winning bidder with the card.

This card was removed from a running Mac SE/30 last year but has not been tested recently (see return policy).

I might have paid less elsewhere, by waiting. And then I might never have acquired one at all, by waiting. I swapped out the supplied LC040 CPU for a full 040/33MHz, and the IIci in which I installed the card goes like a liddle bewdy. It poos on the IIci/030/50MHz beside it (both in OS 7.6.1) according to several benchmarks in Speedometer 4, and that latter Mac has long been one of my favourites. I have already dropped a few statistics about the comparison in another thread in these forums. Just maybe the winner of this auction we are discussing also had his wits about him, knew and understood the caveats that JDW has raised, and was determined nonetheless to win the Item and use it not in an SE/30, or perhaps in an SE/30 by making his own accommodation of its limitations.

Outre pays, outres mœurs. Additionally, as paws might, however unwillingly or painedly, acknowledge: One man's Mede is another man's Persian. Or to paste even worse clichés into this post:

Bottom line is, at the end of the day, only two truths hold 24/7 in auctions: highest bid wins, and caveat emptor.

de

I bought a DayStar Turbo040 from him in March

I'm curious to learn more about your Turbo 040. You indicate it is the 33MHz version, but is the to of the card (CPU side) similar to one of my two photos? (My B&W photo shows the Daystar User Manual version of the card, which is older. My photo of the actual 40MHz card in my possession shows the latest hardware.)

Also, do you know what ROM version you have on your Turbo 040? As I mention under my Daystar Turbo 040 photo, I have the latest 4.11 version ROM. The card actually came with an older ROM, but the seller (Manabu Sakai of ARTMIX, maker of the TS Adapter) upgraded the ROM for me, for a $59 fee (allowing me to keep the old ROM chip). But even with the newest version ROM, I still found that I could not READ/WRITE 1.4MB floppy disks when I had a non-stock SE/30 ROM in the machine. But when I put in an SE/30 ROM, the floppy drive worked just fine. Currently, I have a 50MHz DiiMO in my SE/30, which is slower than the 40MHz 040, but it's more compatible and I have no problems at all with READING/WRITING to 1.4MB floppies with any ROM, be that the stock ROM, IIfx ROM or IIsi ROM. So there appears to be an incompatibility with the Daystar Turbo 040 and IIfx/IIsi ROMs -- a problem that doesn't afflict the DiiMO accelerator. I confirmed this problem on an older 25MHz Turbo 040 too -- hardware that matches what you see in my B&W User Manual photo (and lacks the 128kb cache card).

But if some of you run the same tests as I and find no problem, then perhaps I could say it is the TS Adapter. Because again, I am not using a Daystar Adapter in conjunction with my Turbo 040 -- I use the TS Adapter. Manabu Sakai contends it is not a problem with his TS Adapter because he claims his adapter is 100% the same as the Daystar version, with the exception that the TS Adapter allows you to insert more than one PDS card in the SE/30 at the same time.

So I guess my question is, Equill, do you have a IIfx or IIsi ROM? If so, I would love to hear your test results in combination with 1.4MB floppy disks. Ditto for anyone else reading this post who has a similar setup.

JDW: I shall certainly take the time to look, at the next opening of the IIci into which I put the Turbo040 (or use TattleTech), but it is a IIci into which I put the DayStar card. I intend the MicroMac card for one of my SE/30s.

de

PS (later): You'll get a quicker Captain Cook at my Turbo040 (than from waiting for me to take pics) from the eBay selling page. QuadControl reports the ROM version of the card as 4.11i.

That question is at least part of Bunsen's impetus to a clone-the-IIcx-adapter question above, I suspect. Yes, the IIcx and SE/30 both have 16MHz 030 processors from the factory, so it is electrically feasible. However, physically, the IIcx adapter fouls the battery cage, power supply socket and native 030 PDS slot on the SE/30's MLB, at least. Further, the on-card IIci PDS slot is then (seen from the front of the SE/30) left of the centre-line of the MLB.

The necessary traces and components of the IIcx adapter could be arranged on a smaller card, because the constraint of extending the on-card IIci PDS slot from under the IIcx's PSU would no longer exist, but it would still be necessary to modify an SE/30's chassis to clear the card. If the male 68030 CPU plug on the underside of the adapter could stand higher off the card, the battery cage could be cleared by a cutout from a 6" x 3" card, and the adapter card could also clear the PSU and FDD connectors. The real crunch is that the position of the on-card IIci PDS slot would still be awkward to arrange while keeping it parallel to but far enough away from the SE/30's 030 PDS slot and the CPU plug. So it is physically a pain.

de

Was wondering how to use one of my daystar or Diimo boards in an SE/30 (without spending a mint for an adapter) and keep my ethernet.

As mentioned in the comment under my DiiMO Photo, there is no special adapter required for the SE/30 version DiiMO, unlike Daystar cards. So even though NEXTRO does charge a lot for the DiiMO, you do not also have to pay for an expensive adapter! And as I mentioned above, the 030-based DiiMO is more compatible with software than 040 upgrades, plus I myself found it to be fully compatible with IIfx and IIsi ROMs when used in conjunction with my 1.4MB floppies.

In addition, the Micromac DiiMO web page also mentions the fact that the SE/30 DiiMO plus right into the logic board with no special adapter (scroll down the "Installation" and read the second to the last sentence). But keep in mind when reading that page that (a) Micromac no longer exists and no longer sells the DiiMO themselves (they sold all their DiiMO stock to NEXTRO Japan), and (B) the photo used on that web page is NOT the SE/30 version. To see the SE/30 version, you need to refer to my Flickr photo.

You guys are funny, especially JDW. I was the seller of this card and I know a lot about vintage macs. I know for a fact that this adapter works with a turbo 040 in an SE/30 because that's what it was running in until recently. Yes the adapter is designed for a IIsi and requires case modification to work in an SE/30. You can also buy 120 pin eurocard adapters from digikey and make an extender or an angle adapter that allows the card to clear the frame.

I personally believe that anyone who bids on one of these cards should know what they are all about. Just type "daystar turbo 040" into google and you have a huge amount of information including lowendmac.com and gamba's site in the top hits. In fact I think I linked gamba's site in the listing. Fact or fiction, the buyer has to do the research. I have bought many things off EBAY and other sites. I never bid on anything unless I've fully researched the part. As for the 5x acceleration I got that from http://lowendmac.com/sable/05/1129.html. Maybe that was a mistake, but I didn't run the speedometer tests myself before disassembling the mac.

As for my integrity as a seller, the part was originally listed on EBAY at 4.95 and there is not a shred of information on the listing that is not backed up by data. Mentioning the TS adapter is part of fully informing the buyer about options. I could have said "This is the ONLY way you're going to get your turbo 040 to work" but that's not true. You go ahead and sell your old mac parts for peanuts and that's what people will treat them like. Sell them for what they're worth and maybe people will keep them in circulation so we can all benefit.

One final thing for JDW. If you thought I was stupid and didn't know anything about the product that I was selling why didn't you message me to help inform me so I could correct the mistake? If you thought this was a scam listing or that I was deliberately lying to my bidders why didn't you alert EBAY? People who rant and rave but never do anything about it drive me nuts.

And one final message to equill. I'm glad you're enjoying the turbo 040. That was the one that I had running in my SE/30 and it was great. I've moved on to a mystic color classic now and will eventually start on a IIci when I get the resources and space.

I never seem to end do I? this is the last finally, I promise. Anyone who wants a turbo 040 -- I have 2 more, one is a first edition that doesn't have cache. I can let them go at the price equill paid plus shipping (less whatever you think for the lack of cache on the one).

Ok, I'm ready, let the flames begin.

Go old macs!

Equil: You were the one who snagged a "dead" SE30 motherboard from ebay recently with 128MB of RAM for $52? If so is the motherboard realy dead?

I haven't even attempted to fire it up, because the Fatal Gods were obviously already in control. Just about every capacitor (perhaps other than the axial-lead caps) that could have leaked appeared to have leaked. There was some corrosion of the pins of a few ICs. The RAM-slot clips were of the plastic rather than the metal variety, and every one of them in Bank B had broken. The red objects in that bank in the pic were stabilizing (neoprene?) plugs to jam the RAM cards in place. Bank A is perfect. In all other respects the MLB was in good condition, although I had to let the battery (0.9V) go ...

However, I scored 128MB of 30-pin 70ns RAM (USD60), a socketted-CPU MLB which will clean up nicely and be recapped, and I have met enough done-in RAM slots in my time to have devised a replacement clip to suit. All in all, a useful acquisition.

de

... Ok, I'm ready, let the flames begin.

Go old macs!

No flaming from this quarter, but amusement. Your wording simply implies that it is the mere act of bidding that confers a 5 times acceleration:

'Bid now and watch the speed of your SE/30 increase by up to 5 times!'

de

Equil: You were the one who snagged a "dead" SE30 motherboard from ebay recently with 128MB of RAM for $52? If so is the motherboard realy dead?

I haven't even attempted to fire it up, because the Fatal Gods were obviously already in control. Just about every capacitor (perhaps other than the axial-lead caps) that could have leaked appeared to have leaked. There was some corrosion of the pins of a few ICs. The RAM-slot clips were of the plastic rather than the metal variety, and every one of them in Bank B had broken. The red objects in that bank in the pic were stabilizing (neoprene?) plugs to jam the RAM cards in place. Bank A is perfect. In all other respects the MLB was in good condition, although I had to let the battery (0.9V) go ...

However, I scored 128MB of 30-pin 70ns RAM (USD60), a socketted-CPU MLB which will clean up nicely and be recapped, and I have met enough done-in RAM slots in my time to have devised a replacement clip to suit. All in all, a useful acquisition.

de

I ended up with the case and drives from that system. The seller is local to me, nice guy. I was going to bid on the unit for the RAM but ended up getting a complete SE/30 with 128MB RAM for free from another source.

Since I had a SE30 mb and ethernet card in stock I installed it into that free case and now have a working system (socketed processor as well).

He sold a set of Xceed video cardsaround the same time, too pricey for me and no grayscale adapter anyway.

To begin, WELCOME TO 68kMLA, kjbjm!

You guys are funny, especially JDW.

Funny? No. (I know you were just being nice by saying that though.)

On edge about EBAY listings? Perhaps. :b&w:

I know for a fact that this adapter works with a turbo 040 in an SE/30...

Happy to hear it. But I didn't doubt you on that point. Also, I too have confirmed (see my posts above) that the IIsi adapter does in fact work on the SE/30 logic board in conjunction with Daystar accelerators (both old and new); and like you, we both understand and admit in this thread that this requires a metal frame mod to properly seat the IIsi adapter.

You can also buy 120 pin eurocard adapters from digikey and make an extender or an angle adapter that allows the card to clear the frame.

That wasn't mentioned in the auction (nor was it necessary to mention, I suppose). But thank you for mentioning that here.

I personally believe that anyone who bids on one of these cards should know what they are all about...Fact or fiction, the buyer has to do the research.

Fiction, then. There are a lot of newbies on EBAY. I too was once in that category. At that point in time, I did not "know what they are all about" and I relied upon the information in listings to educate me on many things. Yes, I did Google outside EBAY for additional info, but not everyone is as thorough as I am in checking something out. And the fact remains that I am "greatly pleased" as a buyer when a listing provides an abundance of facts for me, such that I don't have to spend an enormous amount of time elsewhere to figure out "compatibility" for my particular classic Mac.

But thank you for explaining your integrity as a seller. It is nice to hear from sellers, especially those who care about the classic Macintosh community.

One final thing for JDW. If you thought I was stupid and didn't know anything about the product that I was selling why didn't you message me to help inform me so I could correct the mistake? If you thought this was a scam listing or that I was deliberately lying to my bidders why didn't you alert EBAY? People who rant and rave but never do anything about it drive me nuts.

I never thought you were "stupid." I have stated in this thread that I do not agree with the lack of details in your auction about SE/30 compatibility for a IIsi adapter. And to ensure others are fully informed, assuming they come across this thread or Google up my photos, I have put information on Flickr to ensure no one will be led in the wrong direction as to the SE/30 compatibility of the IIsi Daystar adapter.

Why didn't I message you to help inform you of a mistake in your listing? Quite simply because I only learned of your listing after reading this thread. And I read this thread long after your auction had ended. That is why. And yes, I have taken my time in the past to email other EBAY sellers when I found an error in their listings, even in cases where I had no interest whatsoever in bidding on that listing!

Why didn't I alert EBAY? Because your listing, even though not detailed enough for my tastes, is common among may classic Mac EBAY listings today. Therefore, am I alone going to change EBAY by complaining about sellers? I don't think so, which is why I don't waste my time on EBAY complaining about these things. But posting on this site is special because I often post here and am alerted to happenings in the classic Mac community. I post here to informed others and to be informed. Yet another reason I did not speak directly with EBAY was because I wasn't interested in personally bidding on your auction. I was alerted to your auction after reading this thread.

But again, my issue with the listing was and still is that it lacks certain details about SE/30 compatibility, above and beyond mere "electrical compatibility." But your kindness in replying to us in this thread indicates you may rectify that in the future, if not but by providing more info for those poor souls out there who are not as Google-savvy as you and I are. And honestly, the more details you put into an auction, the higher the bid price will likely be. At least, that's how I am. I bid higher when I am impressed the content of an EBAY listing (for an item that interests me, of course). Please impress me in future listings! :b&w:

As to "ranting and raving without doing anything," I will again point you to the photos I uploaded to Flickr. I took time to shoot those photos only after having posted in this thread. I then took time to comment extensively under those photos, not to pound on you or your listing, but to educate others in the classic Mac community. If that is "not doing anything," then I truly am sorry. But in my mind, I have done something above and beyond a simple "rant." (Technically, my "rant" was confined to my opening post in this thread. And I never mentioned your EBAY seller name, either in this thread or in my Flickr photo comments.)

Thank you.