Getting my macintosh plus to boot from a external hard drive

Big Bird's point about drive size in the Performa is a good one. I don't remember what was in my black 5400 because it now has a Seagate 7.5GB, but Everymac lists 1.6GB and 2.4GB as stock HDD sizes in the 5400/180, and System 7.5 as minimal. The Performa can certainly 'see' such sizes of drive, but System 6.0.8 cannot see more than 2GB. System 7.5 can, and 7.5.2 and up can see 2TB (theoretisch).

Unfortunately, although 7.5.5 is nominally the max. System for the Plus, its 4MB max of RAM will make it breathless on 7.5 unless you prune its System software, or use, again as Big Bird suggests, a floppy disk (already pruned) for booting. The floppy disk must contain the networking software or the exercise will be doomed. Progress then depends on the Plus's being faced with a partition (or whole drive) of less than 2GB in the Performa when the Plus using 6.0.8 is sharing the Performa's HDD.

de

alright, thanx everyone.

The size of my performa's hard disk is: 13 GB. (the orginal one died some time ago) It runs Mac OS 9.1

So the size of the hard disk probably be the troublemaker.

Upgrading to 7.5.5 wouldn't be a good idea as i read here.

What would be the best OS for Mr T. (4 Mb) then?

System 7.0.1?

That large of a drive could definitely be a problem, along with OS 9.1. That's virtually the same size partition and same OS that's on the G4 tower I have had problems with connecting to from Macs of the Plus's vintage.

I didn't mean to use a boot disk to connect to the Performa. I meant that you could install a full System 7.0 onto the Plus from the set of installation disks you make. If the Plus had a 1.4 MB floppy drive, you could use Apple's System 7.5 Network Access Disk to access the Performa, but there's no way that's going to work on an 800K disk.

I think once you install a full System 7.0 installation, you may have better luck connecting to an AppleShare server so you can update to 7.0.1. Certainly the interface for configuring networking will be more familiar to you than that found in System 6. Even if we still have no luck, there's little wrong with System 7.0, as long as you install the System 7 Tune-Up, which may be available on Apple's website, or I can send you a copy. It will fit on an 800K disk so that you can install it.

Running any version of 7.5 on the Plus is silly, in my opinion. Not only is it going to strap you for RAM, but there's very little real advantage. Most things you can do on a Plus in 7.5, you can do in 7.0 -- I run my Plus under 7.0.1 as a web server. Unless you have a specific application where you need the features of 7.5, I'd say definitely stick with 7.0. Not to mention 7.0 still maintains a lot of that "classic nostalgia," which is probably more than half the reason you want to get the Plus up and running in the first place!

And one more thing . . .

Your Plus has an external, SCSI hard disk. You can plug this drive into your Performa and either install System 7.0/7.0.1 onto the drive by running the installer on the Performa, or just drop the installer files onto the drive and run the install once you get back on the Plus.

Coupla things:

1) After installing 7.0 (if that's what you end up doing), be sure to apply the update to 7.0*. That will cure problems like disappearing folders (!). And if you're using a later version of 7, just be sure to apply any updates that may exist for that version.

2) You can support drives larger than 2GB, as long as you partition it into pieces no larger than 2GB. There's a limit to the number of partitions, but that's almost never a practical constraint.

http://webs.hogent.be/~054169dv/mac/unistor6.JPG <-- that looks like a 50pin SCSI drive.

Something is very wrong here. The drive pictured here is clearly an Apple drive with the red Apple logo on it, but the drive in the first post is not the same drive.

Look at the orientation of the Quantum sticker in the first post and compare it to the one linked in the reply that I quoted. It is clearly not the same drive.

http://webs.hogent.be/~054169dv/mac/unistor6.JPG <-- that looks like a 50pin SCSI drive.

Something is very wrong here. The drive pictured here is clearly an Apple drive with the red Apple logo on it, but the drive in the first post is not the same drive.

Look at the orientation of the Quantum sticker in the first post and compare it to the one linked in the reply that I quoted. It is clearly not the same drive.

You're right.

I have two drives. One 40 MB drive with an Apple logo.

An other 130 MB with exact the same connectors, as about the same logic board but without an Apple Logo.