Somebody has to buy this NOW

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=krubitz&sourceid=Mozilla-search&Dirn=Receivedby&Many=ON

The response "didn't have time" to put in a fedex claim worries me. I probably wouldn't bid unless I could pick it up.

Also he's a "computer engineer" and an electrical engineer it seems.. smelly.

He is also saying he does not have time to take more pics, which is also suspicious considering what he claims to be selling.

He is also saying he does not have time to take more pics....

Don't ever buy from a seller who says such foolishness! Any seller who is ethical and strives to conduct honest deals will always go somewhat out of their way to make a good sale. Excuses like "there are so many dishonest buyers nowdays..." is no excuse at all but rather a cop out for your own unethical behavior, sellers!

Even a long history of 100% positive feedback immediately becomes irrelevant when the seller starts to talk this way. This is not just "having a bad day" or "he's been sick lately." Good and bad comes from the heart. And while I suppose one could turn a blind eye to reason and buy from this fellow, and possible end up with a working machine, why willingly put a bad taste in your mouth? That's the main reason I've not bid, and I've paid as much for other auctions.

Exercise extreme caution! Never pay that much money unless you have zero doubts about the seller and his merchandise. This is not a perfect world we live in, and EBAY transactions often work to reveal the darker side of man.

Edited by Guest

Damn I want that socketed accelerator badly...

but I also don't want to get ripped off.

And, even if that were not in the equation, I can't afford it as all :(

And LMAO whoever placed a bid instead of using buy it now was really stupid. This is going to sell for a LOT more than $500, especially if the seller gets pics.

$405 dollars already. That guy who placed the first bid was trying to get it cheap. I hope none of us here is bidding on it without seeing the inside.

I sent him a message asking why he won't photograph the upgrades and why there is no video out on the back of the machine. Let's see what his response is. Questions appear in the listing where potential bidders can see them, so maybe people will stop bidding or the current bidders will back out if they think they are being scammed.

... along with some interesting commentary...

It doesn't seem to have crossed the boyoh's mind that, if he were selling the greyscale card alone, few would be obliged to believe in it without a displayed picture on the selling page. So why should they be any more credulous about the same card inside the SE/30 without a picture of those same insides? Unreal, and unprofessional. No time for pictures? Then don't waste our time with slipshod presentation.

de

Here's his response

"Don't bid then. My ebay reputation precedes me which you can see for yourself."

Reputation means nothing if someone hacked his account and is attempting to scam. This person also seems very rude. I wouldn't buy from him if he was selling $5 bills for $1.

And that new photo proves nothing. It shows a compact with a card in a slot with no indication that the card is indeed the claimed Micron Xceed or that it is even a picture of the same machine he is selling. I also still don't see a video out on that card. Isn't the grayscale adapter supposed to be on a separate daughter card? I don't see a daughter card in that photo. There is also no proof of any of the other upgrades that are supposedly in it. He goes on to say it is too hard to disassemble the machine, but isn't the hardest part getting the case off?? Once that's done, the motherboard is easy.

And my question somehow does not appear in the listing. I thought all questions concerning an item automatically appeared?? Does the seller control which questions can appear??

"Don't bid then. My ebay reputation precedes me which you can see for yourself."

I've receive such ludacrous responses from other fishy classic Mac sellers in the past. I tried to warn others about them in a new thread on this site, but many EBAY sellers flocked to that thread, created a cry and moan session, and forced me to cease posting in it. Indeed, most EBAY sellers think they have the power to do anything, even get away with unethical or even criminal behavior. (Good classic Mac sellers like 003 are clearly excluded from what I'm talking about here. I always give praise where praise is due, along side those who deserve criticism.)

But as I wrote in my previous post in this thread, all your positive EBAY feedback is immediately tarnished when you act sufficiently stupid one time. This appears to be that sellers one time.

One thing I have done in the past to help others is write the absolute truth to them. There are times when I really wanted to bid on a given item, but the seller was rude and didn't want to answer any questions! At that point I decided I was no longer interested. I then fired off emails to other bidders who were listed, warning them of a possible bad deal. Most were members of the classic Mac community, like all of us here, and were happy to receive the insight, as they had not sufficiently questioned the seller to see if he was legitimate.

Sadly, EBAY changed things and you now cannot email other bidders with warning tips when the price goes past a certain point. While this in some way may protect bidders, it also hurts them too as no one can warn them of impending danger.

Hence, the only thing you can do in this particular auction is continue to hammer on the seller and just watch the poor soul who buys the thing. No doubt he'll pop up on this site after a while if he has an "unexpected problem."

But for future auctions, perhaps if we all knew each others EBAY names, we could warn each other of possible fraud via direct email (or PM). There should be some way we can work to help each other in this regard!

The only way people learn about fire is to be burned, same with bad ebay auctions.

I don't expect a large volume seller to answer many (or any questions) about a $1 item he has listed, but I do expect them to answer a question or take a picture for a single item that starts out at a few hundred dollars and could be worthless depending on what is included. They need to put in some effort to squeeze the most money out of the buyer anyway.

All your ebay feedback means is if you have screwed anybody over they havn't left bad feedback as of yet. As with any auction you need to research what you are bidding on, and ask the appropriate questions before you bid or you can get burned.

I've receive such ludacrous responses from other fishy classic Mac sellers in the past. I tried to warn others about them in a new thread on this site, but many EBAY sellers flocked to that thread, created a cry and moan session, and forced me to cease posting in it. Indeed, most EBAY sellers think they have the power to do anything, even get away with unethical or even criminal behavior. (Good classic Mac sellers like 003 are clearly excluded from what I'm talking about here. I always give praise where praise is due, along side those who deserve criticism.)

But as I wrote in my previous post in this thread, all your positive EBAY feedback is immediately tarnished when you act sufficiently stupid one time. This appears to be that sellers one time.

One thing I have done in the past to help others is write the absolute truth to them. There are times when I really wanted to bid on a given item, but the seller was rude and didn't want to answer any questions! At that point I decided I was no longer interested. I then fired off emails to other bidders who were listed, warning them of a possible bad deal. Most were members of the classic Mac community, like all of us here, and were happy to receive the insight, as they had not sufficiently questioned the seller to see if he was legitimate.

Sadly, EBAY changed things and you now cannot email other bidders with warning tips when the price goes past a certain point. While this in some way may protect bidders, it also hurts them too as no one can warn them of impending danger.

Hence, the only thing you can do in this particular auction is continue to hammer on the seller and just watch the poor soul who buys the thing. No doubt he'll pop up on this site after a while if he has an "unexpected problem."

But for future auctions, perhaps if we all knew each others EBAY names, we could warn each other of possible fraud via direct email (or PM). There should be some way we can work to help each other in this regard!

I was active on the PCGS (coin collectors) forum for a few years a while back, and the members there watch out for each other warning bidders away from counterfeit or other suspicious items and opening discussion forums when items which may be fraudulent or stolen appear so that if anyone wanders in wondering about an ebay item, they will see it and stay away. I myself found several coins with what appeared to be altered dates and sure enough, after viewing of the photos in the listing, persons more expert at spotting fakes than myself concluded that they were altered. This crap of hiding bidders name on certain items pretty well ensures that the scammers will continue to thrive on ebay instead of being shut down by vigilant members who know how to spot a scam taking place.

This showed up with the listing along with some interesting commentary...

67bf_12.JPG

That is indeed the xceed video card and grayscale adapter. The grayscale adapter is appearntly, a homebrew.

You can tell it is the grayscale adapter because of the blue resistor, and if you look carefully you can kind of see the cable connecting to it on the bottom, going to the video card. You can also see the very thin black ground wire hooked up to the metal frame near the power supply, that is part of the 5-point cable, as well as the one in the top corner of the CRT.

I see a very strange black box right behind the area where the video out should be, with a cable connected to it. I have no idea what that is but it is not normal. I am guessing it is some part of the solid state hard drive.

I do not see an accelerator in the photo which means there is none, or it really is socketed and not visible in the picture. I am guessing the latter, really based on the guy's feedback.

In reality the auction is most likely legit and we are just making excuses as to why we won't bid on it, and be in denial about the fact that we knew it was legit all along, and really wanted it but could not afford it. If that picture is now in the auction, it is going to go for an extremley large sum of money. MUCH more than $500.

I will now repeat myself and say whoever placed the first bid is an effing tard to be quite honest. It is now going to go for much more than the buy it now price.

003 the more you talk the weirder you sound. Are you trying to get people to bid this up to $2000 so the $500 or so you sunk into your se/30 (money you seem to not have) sound more reasonable? I mean if it doesn't go over $400 will you freak or something? Get a grip.

Unknown_K, I actually told 003 about this auction prior to the start of this thread via PM. He returned my PM by saying he only wished he had the cash to buy it, but that such wasn't a luxury he could afford at the moment. I've spoken with 003 offline quite often in the past, and I sincerely believe he has no interest whatsoever in driving up the bid price for this auction. His posts merely express, however indirectly, his intense sorrow over not being able to snatch up this machine.

All the while, since most of us cannot afford this machine anyway, I have been trying to point out that not having this item may be for the best. It seems quite clear to me that this seller is a man of few ethical principles, and I personally wouldn't feel right about buying from someone like that. But when the good sellers come along, I am more than willing to let go of my cash. Funny, but the bad sellers try all manner of scams to get more cash inappropriately when they could make as much or more by legitimate and helpful transactions! We indeed reap what we sow.

Quadraman, I wish there was a way we could help out each other as you mention. But if the price gets too high the bidders are masked from us. So I suppose all we can do is simply help out others who are bidding on low priced items, which isn't really a lot of help considering most scams occur on the high priced items!

003 the more you talk the weirder you sound. Are you trying to get people to bid this up to $2000 so the $500 or so you sunk into your se/30 (money you seem to not have) sound more reasonable? I mean if it doesn't go over $400 will you freak or something? Get a grip.
No I don't care how much it goes for. Let's recall why this thread was made, shall we? [;)]]'>

I was merely pointing out that from that picture I am able to see it does indeed have the Xceed video card, grayscale adapter and 5-point cable. It also has that strange black box, I have no idea what it is but I think it has to do with the solid state hard drive.

I was pointing these things out because people were saying it didn't look like it had the grayscale adapter and the PDS card might not be the Xceed card.

Quite frankly I would not care about the attitude of the seller, as long as the auction is legit (which it appears to be), the rarity of the items in it would justify having used the buy it now option. Of course thats no longer possible and it is now going to sell for way more, unfortunately. I would like to reiterate how stupid the first bidder is again.

Now, this still might be a scam. Since there are no pictures of the machine powered on (which would be less work to photograph than removing the back cover), maybe the whole thing was fried in a bad accident and the seller is trying to unload his mess on someone else, and when they receive it, claim it was working when he shipped it and so it is not his problem.

Looks like the first bidder screwed himself by not using the BIN while it was there. How could they NOT think that this item was going to bid higher than that?
They were stupid.

I am surprised it went for only this low. There was recently an Xceed card on e-bay, without the 5 point cable or grayscale adapter, just the card alone, untested, that went for $535. My bet is that if he had more detailed pictures of the parts as well as pictures of it running, the bid would have been much, MUCH higher.

Looks like the first bidder screwed himself by not using the BIN while it was there. How could they NOT think that this item was going to bid higher than that?

How can you say that? The original bidder had a max bid of $405, BIN was $500 which he didn't want to spend (and lost the auction). It is logical to put in a bid somewhere between the original minimum bid and lower then the BIN price in the hope there won't be too many people bidding. You do recall there wasn't much in the way of pictures when the 1st bid went in.

The guy was looking for a deal and it didn't pan out.

They were stupid.

I am surprised it went for only this low. There was recently an Xceed card on e-bay, without the 5 point cable or grayscale adapter, just the card alone, untested, that went for $535. My bet is that if he had more detailed pictures of the parts as well as pictures of it running, the bid would have been much, MUCH higher.

One data point means nothing. Don't confuse what you are willing to pay with what everybody else on the planet is willing to pay. Prices for niche stuff like this bounces all over the place depending on if the collector with the money has this item yet or not. Maybe if you didn't have this already you would have bid it up 003, but since you did it didn't go as high as you would have made it go otherwise.

Umm, if I didn't have one already and I had the cash, I would have used BIN in a heartbeat. If BIN no longer existed, I would use a esnipe.

If the original bidder had a max bid of $405 he shouldn't have bid. Yes, prices fluctuate for collectors items, but come on, you know as well as I something as rare as that would always sell for more than $500 no matter what....