I found an 'inexpensive' PowerMac G4 on eBay and won it for $80.

400mhz g4

512MB RAM

40Gb Hard disk

Tiger

My B/W G3 will go to work and be my iTunes server and general tinkerbox there and the current music box (a Dell Dimension XPS P3-550) will be wiped and sold.

Awesome! I paid $232.99 with shipping for my G4 Cube (450/40gb/512mb*/DVD-ROM) back in August last year. At first, I thought I had paid a little too much for just a G4 450, but when I got it and unpacked it and all, it was like . I hardly notice a difference between this machine and the iMac G4 1.25 in the living room, doing light tasks (Internet browsing, chatting, iTunes, etc).

The machine sucks as soon as you open any type of video-editing program :\

Oh, well...I love my Cube :D

*Upgraded now to 640MB

Awesome! I paid $232.99 with shipping for my G4 Cube (450/40gb/512mb*/DVD-ROM) back in August last year. At first, I thought I had paid a little too much for just a G4 450, but when I got it and unpacked it and all, it was like . I hardly notice a difference between this machine and the iMac G4 1.25 in the living room, doing light tasks (Internet browsing, chatting, iTunes, etc).

*Upgraded now to 640MB

My main PC is an Athlon64 X2 3600 with 1GB RAM and Win2k/Ubuntu 7.04 installed. If I do anything with video it's on that one.

At least we have the option of upgrading the processors if needed.

*Upgraded now to 640MB

Cubes are hawt.

But yeah, I've noticed that about even my Dual 500 G4 (768 megs RAM); It's a wonderful machine for nearly everything until you start trying to do video stuff on it.

Rock on with the G4's! That CPU still has many many many happy years ahead of it.

It all depends what you're doing. If you're just using it to run Office, a web browser, and an email client, and iTunes, then no. But if you're running Photoshop, iLife, and other CPU intensive applications, then its definately worth it.

Nice! I paid $70 for mine ($50 + $20 shipping) just because it was advertised as having a "Faulty Logic Board with No RAM or HD". When it arrived, it worked flawlessly. :D

8-o

it would be superfluous, one assumes, to mention that 8-o I HATE YOU

Nice! I paid $70 for mine ($50 + $20 shipping) just because it was advertised as having a "Faulty Logic Board with No RAM or HD". When it arrived, it worked flawlessly. :D

8-o

it would be superfluous, one assumes, to mention that 8-o I HATE YOU

Heh, well the advertised issue was that the Firewire controller was defective, but i've since thrown in an Agere FW400 card to cover for it. I did take it out to test, but couldn't find an issue, so i'm assuming the board itself works.

• 2 weeks later...
Brilliant!

I remember when I bought my PowerBook 520c on eBay I had it shipped directly to my work so I could play with it right away! :D

Unfortunately even if I had done that and it arrived today we had our weekly lunch meeting so I could not play on it.

Most of the music is on the B/W G3 now at the office. There are some music files left on the Dell I'm looking for.

Good news: It works! Even though it's the same speed as my B/W G3 and has slightly less RAM, it appears to run faster.

Bad news: Packed in newspaper, the front foot is broken near the left side. Fortunately I had to order a set of feet for my G3 after the rear foot was broken during shipment, so I do have a replacement here. It just won't look the same.

Pull some ram from the G3, if your going to be using the G4 more. I would say something to the seller, cause that sucks :( I would take the back foot and put it in the front, and put the replacement foot in the back.

I did send a message to the seller. I'm waiting for his/her reply before sending feedback. Unfortunately the bottom feet are not interchangeable due to the provision for the side door. One side has a corner cut off on each one.

Pull some ram from the G3, if your going to be using the G4 more. I would say something to the seller, cause that sucks :( I would take the back foot and put it in the front, and put the replacement foot in the back.

I did send a message to the seller. I'm waiting for his/her reply before sending feedback. Unfortunately the bottom feet are not interchangeable due to the provision for the side door. One side has a corner cut off on each one.

The seller is sending a front foot as well as another hard drive - the one in here is 10GB smaller than what was advertised. Currently it has a whitish foot from a B/W G3 on it. It works, but it's not pretty. :)