PowerBook 540 A Few Issues

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but I recently pulled out my PB 540 and decided to try fixing some problems.

These are the problems its having:

-Screen is cut off on lower part unless putting pressure on it.

-LCD Cable has been cut a little

-Audio doesn't work

-Not sure if this is an issue but the screen begins to fade from all edges to black after a while.

I uploaded a picture of the LCD needing pressure to actually work, and the hinge cable being cut. I figured since this is the only cable going to the LCD that maybe the connections to the audio had been cut on the ribbon cable? (There is fewer wire lines on the cut area, forgive me if I'm way off). 

Would the pressure problem be an LCD issue if anyone knows?

Also I read about capacitors often going bad, should I check around for leaking capacitors?

Thanks

post-5511-0-82463900-1508240953_thumb.jpg

post-5511-0-87621700-1508240968_thumb.jpg

All the symptom except the corner getting dark seem to come from the ribbon cable you mentioned (audio uses this cable too). Try to find a spare ribbon cable.

For the darkening corners, it's a well known weakness of apple's monochrome active displays and there is no real fix for this... sadly

Edited by tjjq44

Alright , just ordered a new LCD cable for it so ill update here how it goes when I get it

And ah I see, is it possible to swap to a colored screen? Or they use a different display cable

Lastly, I’ve though about getting a CF card to replace the HDD, this is possible right? I’m unsure what size is the max for these macs

Thanks

The 5x0 screens are all swappable, as they use the same logic board.  If you can find a parts unit with a good colour screen, it would be ideal.

As for CF, all the 5x0 series use the old SCSI 2.5" format.  You will need to get the 2.5" version of the SCSI2SD, linked here: https://store.inertialcomputing.com/product-p/scsi2sd-v5-2.5-inch.htm

• 4 weeks later...

All LCDs are interchangeable, but bear in mind that the cables that connect it to that "interconnect" board (not the main cable that goes to the logic board) are specific for the type of LCD (ie, Active or Passive matrix, color or greyscale), and those are *not* interchangeable from what I can tell (I tried it, so I know).

c