Hi

I just need a second opinion and potentially a little help locating a part.

I am taking apart an iMac G3, cleaning and inspecting after I found a compromised battery. While going through the process I discovered that the largest capacitor on the Power Supply Board, Ver. 2 appears bulged to the touch and visually. Now, I did try to locate this part and it appears available in bulk which I don't want, I only need one but I was thrown off by the 400wv designation. What does wv mean?

Could someone confirm if this is indeed a bulged cap and if you think it is, where can I find one?

It reads SMH 470uF 400wv (M) 85°C (location is C905 on the Power Supply Board v.2)

Pics of the cap.

post-2686-0-01300700-1506850953_thumb.jpg

post-2686-0-13323600-1506850971_thumb.jpg

post-2686-0-13949200-1506850985_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance for your expertise advice.

Kind regards

—Alex

• 68kMLA Supporter

Hi joethezombie

In fact yes, pressing down on the cap does a little bounce back in return.

How could I test the cap to ensure it is working. I am waiting for my first multimeter to arrive. It's a cheapo until I can afford a proper Fluke. Any tips on testing it? Do I have to desolder it to test it? Yes I am truly basic with multimeters. I plan to learn cause it's just so cool to know.

Thanks IlikeTech, I appreciate the links.

Edited by Alex
  • 68kMLA Supporter

That big capacitor is probably the very last one that I would suspect as bad.  In my experience, it's always the smaller guys that start leaking.  If you're not having specific issues with the supply, I personally wouldn't change it out.  But IlikeTech is right.  To properly test it, you'd have to remove it.  And at that point, why not just replace it.

Edited by joethezombie

Iliketech

I am curious, you appear to suggest that a cap can be leaky even if it measures ok. This could mean that caps are leaking without knowing it. With the analog/video boards taken out is there a sort of test to check what might be leaking but not yet detectable. I would think that perhaps putting a piece of paper or a toothpick or some other small probe that could absorb a stain could be one way.

I have often heard that bulging is a sign of a failing cap, thanks for the added tip joethezombie.

I can't test the entire computer until I get the replacement logic board that I just purchased on eBay. Hopefully it will all be ok. This machine is pretty old now, 1998 or so, I imagine changing caps on machines of this vintage is probably a worthwhile investment. Thoughts? 

• 68kMLA Supporter

Leaky in multiple ways. They can leak under the cap itself, but they can also leak voltage. I don't know much about that but I know it is a problem with tube equipment. I don't know enough to tell you if it is a problem with this. Chemicon makes good caps, so I'm not sure I would worry about that one. I would, however change caps if I has a problem when you get your new logic board.