Hello,

Most of my PPCs have good uses. All except my mini G4 (and I have a thread on it on the PPC Desktops forum) and my two iBook G3s. I have a 500MHz G3 Snow and a 333MHz G3 Clamshell.

For owners of this laptop: do you have any uses? I hate to see a good PPC go to waste and I'm wondering what I could use these machines for. Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Henry

clasilla 9.3.3 can make it passable to use on the net.  Other than that unless you have a specific need in your head it is a dust collector.

I've used Clasilla on them, but I really have no desire to browse the web on my slowest systems.

I do programming on mine because its easier to not be distracted, of course there is the novelty factor as well.

What kind of languages can you code in? Because I'm trying to learn Python for a project, and I'm currently using my Raspberry Pi to code in it. If I could get a modern version of Python on the Clamsell it'd be amazing.

Mac mini: Console emulator for your TV, MorphOS if you feel like trying the world of Amiga

I've never really been interested in emulating consoles, but it may be a fun thing to try. I've tried MorphOS on my mini, and I didn't like it.

My Clamshell is used mainly to fill the gap with older stuff, creating floppy disks...but now i have a 3400 as well for that purpose.

I'll keep that in mind should I get anything older! :)

My G3 iBook is slightly newer (600MHz, 16MB video) but it does quite well with classic PPC games that aren't too demanding.  Your 8MB should likely do the same, so long as you aren't trying to run something too intense.

Maybe I'll try some out, thanks.

I'm actually considering selling the G3 Snow as I have no use... does anyone think it will become collectable one day? Plus, having that gives me the complete iBook collection (Clamshell, G3 Snow, G4).

I've got two clamshells: the first one is in pretty nice condition, the second one has a broken CD drive and only 24 MB of RAM.

The nice one gets used as a portable Mac OS 9 machine for me, I use my Indigo iMac G3 for most my OS 9 needs, but I like having the clamshell on the go.

The second one does not get too much use. Right now it's sadly sitting on a shelf. One day I hope to repair it's CD drive and add some more RAM, then it'll be a fun machine again.

What kind of languages can you code in? Because I'm trying to learn Python for a project, and I'm currently using my Raspberry Pi to code in it. If I could get a modern version of Python on the Clamsell it'd be amazing.

I do all my programming in C, but use a Raspberry Pi Zero W to run my toolchain as well as provide internet access over USB.

My setup from another thread:

http://i.imgur.com/YHxNnL6.jpg

IIRC, the last version of Python that will work in Mac OS 9 is 2.3.

If you want modern Python, there's always MacSSH. Or you could just install Mac OS X (and compile Python yourself... maybe this will work?) or Linux (which definitely would support 3.6).

Thanks for the replies. I don't really know anything about compiling the Python myself of anything like that; I'm still learning the language and mainly experementing at this point. I do have a project I'd like to do with it but I won't be ready for awhile.