RaSCSI Development Thread

I got it working! My Pi Zero had the GPIO header already soldered on when I got it. And I had attached it to the top of the RaSCSI board per the Wiki assembly instructions. Well it was upside down. There are no pictures of assembled units anywhere so what might have seemed obvious to some wasnt to me. So I assembled my second board with the female header on the bottom of the RaSCSI and now it works as expected.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 68kMLA Supporter
On 3/11/2021 at 5:23 PM, Aaron707 said:

I got it working! My Pi Zero had the GPIO header already soldered on when I got it. And I had attached it to the top of the RaSCSI board per the Wiki assembly instructions. Well it was upside down. There are no pictures of assembled units anywhere so what might have seemed obvious to some wasnt to me. So I assembled my second board with the female header on the bottom of the RaSCSI and now it works as expected.

So glad you got it working! I'll try to add some pictures of it assembled. That's definitely something that is useful!

Hello!

Love my new RaSCSI board!  I have it setup with a PiZero W.  IMG_0569.HEIC However, I'm having trouble uploading iso files from my Macbook.  Once I select my iso, and hit the upload button, I get NGINX error "413 Request Entity Too Large".  Any ideas what I've done wrong, or how to fix it?

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 9.52.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 9.52.22 AM.png

• 68kMLA Supporter
20 hours ago, kaoshonen said:

Hello!

Love my new RaSCSI board!  I have it setup with a PiZero W.  IMG_0569.HEIC However, I'm having trouble uploading iso files from my Macbook.  Once I select my iso, and hit the upload button, I get NGINX error "413 Request Entity Too Large".  Any ideas what I've done wrong, or how to fix it?

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 9.52.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 9.52.22 AM.png

shot in the dark here, but how large is the ISO file you are uploading?

• 68kMLA Supporter
20 hours ago, kaoshonen said:

413 Request Entity Too Large

When I first created the new python web interface I didnt have nginx in front of it, but added it later - looks like i forgot to remove the limit. You can either edit your nginx config to remove the check or wait for me or someone to fix it.

An alternative for now is you could upload files via scp/sftp to the /home/pi/images/ dir

20 hours ago, Michael_b said:

shot in the dark here, but how large is the ISO file you are uploading?

good point!  I should have mentioned they are only about 260mb

19 hours ago, erichelgeson said:

When I first created the new python web interface I didnt have nginx in front of it, but added it later - looks like i forgot to remove the limit. You can either edit your nginx config to remove the check or wait for me or someone to fix it.

An alternative for now is you could upload files via scp/sftp to the /home/pi/images/ dir

awesome!  I will try to edit the nginx config file!

Thank you both!

OK, I admit it... I'm an idiot and not a real programmer. I just want to replace my old SCSI HD and want to know whether this project is closest to a drop in HD replacement or am I better off with SCSI2SD? Do not underestimate my terminal ignorance!! Thanks for the advice!!

Steven

• 68kMLA Supporter
19 hours ago, sjb said:

OK, I admit it... I'm an idiot and not a real programmer. I just want to replace my old SCSI HD and want to know whether this project is closest to a drop in HD replacement or am I better off with SCSI2SD? Do not underestimate my terminal ignorance!! Thanks for the advice!!

Steven

Steven,

RaSCSI is great if you know what you're doing, or are comfortable experimenting, but it isn't instant-on (you have to wait for the Pi to boot, if you don't leave it powered on), and it's not a product you can buy "ready to go". I wouldn't characterize it as "for a beginner", but it really depends on your level of comfort. There are a _LOT_ more moving parts than with something like SCSI2SD, which is "instant on" even moreso than a traditional HDD (no mechanics to spin up).

• 68kMLA Supporter

Drop-in HD replacement? No.

But, in my option, there is some good documentation on how to get started. The community has made great strides, where you pretty much just need to create a Raspberry Pi OS SD card and run a couple commands to get something going.

Plus, if you run into problems, there are a bunch of us on Discord who are always glad to help! So, if you're up for little bit of tinkering, I'd recommend RaSCSI! (Though, I'm very biased ;-) )

• 68kMLA Supporter
19 hours ago, sjb said:

Steven

the other option for a more "plug and play" solution for a 68k Mac would be the BlueSCSI which is a project of @erichelgeson(PowerPC Macs don't work with it as far as I know, or the Mac Plus)

https://gumroad.com/l/bluescsi-1b

https://github.com/erichelgeson/BlueSCSI

• 68kMLA Supporter
20 hours ago, sjb said:

I agree largely with what has been said above.  RaSCSI is very flexible and interesting to play with.  It will do a lot more than most of the other options, but it comes with concomitant complexity.  That doesn't mean it's difficult, necessarily, but it has more knobs and takes longer to start up (because it's really a general purpose computer underneath).  You don't need to be a programmer to use it at all, but it is very much the equivalent of a multi-tool rather than a screwdriver.

If you just want something to throw in and forget it and you don't want to be able to tweak stuff, I've had good luck with both various scsi2sds and MacSD.  These two have their own tradeoffs, but they're both IME competent as a "drop it in and forget".  BlueSCSI is another, lower cost but lower performance option, which I haven't used yet but I hear good things about.

In other words, you have options. :-)

Wow! Thanks for all the replies! I feel like I should try RaSCSI just to put you guys(gals) on the hook;).  It sounds like everything is going to be a bit of a learning experience. I suspect I’m going to end up trying them all...I did see the Bluescsi was in stock and inexpensive as a kit so I’m going to try that too! I shall keep you informed. Thanks again! Steven

• 68kMLA Supporter
On 3/18/2021 at 5:35 PM, aperezbios said:

Steven,

RaSCSI is great if you know what you're doing, or are comfortable experimenting, but it isn't instant-on (you have to wait for the Pi to boot, if you don't leave it powered on), and it's not a product you can buy "ready to go". I wouldn't characterize it as "for a beginner", but it really depends on your level of comfort. There are a _LOT_ more moving parts than with something like SCSI2SD, which is "instant on" even moreso than a traditional HDD (no mechanics to spin up).

RaSCSI is instant on if you use the baremetal version. The only config needed is putting the baremetal version + disk image on the SD and putting the name of the disk image into a text configuration file.

• 68kMLA Supporter
On 3/18/2021 at 10:22 PM, Michael_b said:

RaSCSI is instant on if you use the baremetal version. The only config needed is putting the baremetal version + disk image on the SD and putting the name of the disk image into a text configuration file.

Out of curiosity, how mature/fully fully functional is it, compared to the non-baremetal version? Is there usable documentation in English? I haven't used it.

• 68kMLA Supporter
19 hours ago, aperezbios said:

Out of curiosity, how mature/fully fully functional is it, compared to the non-baremetal version? Is there usable documentation in English? I haven't used it.

No English documentation that I’m aware of. Google Translate was adequate for me to figure it out.

AFAICT it’s as functional as the non-baremetal version in terms of providing an emulated SCSI device to boot from. I put a 7.5.5 image on it and my SE/30 booted from it with no problems at all. 

Obviously it doesn’t have the bells and whistles that the non-baremetal versions have.

Hi folks, 

Back again looking for a little help.  I have my RaSCSI up and running well.  I am now adding the OLED display.  I have accomplished all the steps, up the point of testing the display, by running command "rascsi_oled_monitor.py". 1115706588_ScreenShot2021-03-22at7_06_04PM.thumb.png.17c83bc133f10216bc509537efb186a7.png

However, I get the below message "IndentationError:"  Can anybody point me in right direction?  I went to line 150, as described in the error, but I'm not sure what's wrong.

Thanks again!

1142143199_ScreenShot2021-03-22at6_59_06PM.thumb.png.992f7e0d5a5c0b20674627aa33c0c1a4.png

This is around line 150, in "rascsi_oled_monitor.py"

254564947_ScreenShot2021-03-22at7_34_47PM.thumb.png.86303eede50ece5373f083df03efb2ed.png

Edited by kaoshonen
21 hours ago, kaoshonen said:

Hi folks, 

Back again looking for a little help.  I have my RaSCSI up and running well.  I am now adding the OLED display.  I have accomplished all the steps, up the point of testing the display, by running command "rascsi_oled_monitor.py". 1115706588_ScreenShot2021-03-22at7_06_04PM.thumb.png.17c83bc133f10216bc509537efb186a7.png

However, I get the below message "IndentationError:"  Can anybody point me in right direction?  I went to line 150, as described in the error, but I'm not sure what's wrong.

Thanks again!

1142143199_ScreenShot2021-03-22at6_59_06PM.thumb.png.992f7e0d5a5c0b20674627aa33c0c1a4.png

This is around line 150, in "rascsi_oled_monitor.py"

254564947_ScreenShot2021-03-22at7_34_47PM.thumb.png.86303eede50ece5373f083df03efb2ed.png

Fix the indentation so it matches the if statement

@uyjulian

Thank you!  - Slowly learning!

I tabbed that "else" back, and it worked!

Now I try to run the script again, and get a new error message. :)

1493380810_ScreenShot2021-03-22at10_14_53PM.png.e075f49df545524288532ae0e229aa21.png

I previously ran the below commands, and it was appeared this was already downloaded.  It said "Requirement already satisfied:"

sudo pip3 install adafruit-circuitpython-ssd1306
sudo apt-get install python3-pil
  • 68kMLA Supporter
On 3/29/2021 at 9:07 PM, Aaron707 said:

Is it possible to do larger than 4Gb disk images with the baremetal version? I assume the SD card would need to be formatted exFat for it to work? Whats the size limit on the standard install of RaSCSI?

As far as I know, there isn't a hard-coded limit anywhere. You should be able to go pretty big. Give it a try!

• 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)

@superjer2000 is a genius! He was able to figure out the problem that I've been battling for months with the DaynaPort emulation! 

The daynaport seems to have a small delay after sending the packet size and flags. On faster Macs, the driver seems to be able to stay caught up if there is no delay. However, the slower Macs need this delay. 

Another user on the RaSCSI (quentin) disassembled the driver to determine that the driver doing two "Read" calls whenever it reads a packet. He also fixed some of my hacks that could have been causing stability issues.

The driver does call SCSIRead multiple times as part of receiving a single packet
So it's possible that it is getting sad if the RaSCSI is ready for it before it gets to the second Read

If you have tried the daynaport emulation on RaSCSI before, but had trouble, please try it again! You will need to install libpcap-dev in order to build it now (or, just use the easyinstall.sh script on the daynaport3 branch)

So far, I've tested on System 7.1 (Performa 637CD) and 7.5.3 (SE/30) with Open Transport installed. 

Edited by landoGriffin