RaSCSI Development Thread

On 1/21/2021 at 12:11 PM, max1zzz said:

Ooh, So with the SCSI to Ethernet support I could have wifi on my PB100, Awesome!

PowerBook lids are the perfect, RFI shielding free spot for bare wire WiFi antennae, 68K AirPort! :approve:

Waiting for a turnkey level setup for my PB100. Given that, I can move its annoyingly silent AztecMonster somewhere else. Any chance the Pi could emulate spinup and seek effects if hotwired to the internal speaker? :?:

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 68kMLA Supporter
7 hours ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

Waiting for a turnkey level setup for my PB100. Given that, I can move its annoyingly silent AztecMonster somewhere else. Any chance the Pi could emulate spinup and seek effects if hotwired to the internal speaker? :?:

I guess if you wanted it to! With enough time and money, anything is possible :-) 

You'd probably need to hook a tiny speaker up to the Pi's audio output, along with (probably) a small amplifier. As far as doing it from the actual PowerBook speaker - that could be a little more difficult.

I wonder if there are vibration motors on the market that you could tune to somewhat resemble a spinning drive..... There probably aren't any targeted towards that low amount of vibration though.

Hardware wise, something akin to the tiny amplifier on the 630's Video Out Board would probably work to drive the PB100 speaker. Guessing you'd want to use diodes to keep the 'Book from driving the Pi's output lines and the reverse? But it looks like that project's a non starter. Exploded diagram of the 100 shows the speaker integrated into the Interconnect Cable and Speaker Assembly, So no place to wedge a reversible hack. Dunno about other PowerBooks, pretty much all the others I play with much have IDE.

I guess what I'm suggesting/asking would be if Pi can monitor SCSI I/O as it serves it up and play appropriate sound tracks from ROM to match that activity without overburdening its resources or not? Programming would be the hard part the way I see it. It'd be a nice feature, even with a dedicated little speaker in the drive bay. Sound would be coming from the right place in that config!

Didn't mean to get off topic, just wondering about this, blame it on max mentioning the 100! :grin:

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini
On 1/24/2021 at 3:48 PM, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

PowerBook lids are the perfect, RFI shielding free spot for bare wire WiFi antennae, 68K AirPort! :approve:

My PB100 has no RFID paint on the palmrest :) I need to double check but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work without another antenna :)

As far as emulating spin up and seek sounds goes: it would be pretty low fidelity, but a small piezo buzzer would probably fit in there. Looks like there's plenty of info on how to wire one up to a spare GPIO pin and drive it from a Python script. 

• 68kMLA Supporter

Ok - I think I'm ready to announce that the DaynaPort SCSI/Link emulation is working! I'd love some feedback on the pull request for this function, if anyone has any free time:
https://github.com/akuker/RASCSI/pull/76

I still need to clean up the documentation, but if someone is brave and wants to try it, you'll need to checkout the "daynaport2" branch of the RaSCSI github.

https://github.com/akuker/RASCSI/wiki/Dayna-Port-SCSI-Link

Right now, its only set up to work with the "eth0" interface on the Raspberry Pi. If you want to use it over Wifi, you're going to have to use your Linux networking kung-fu to set up NAT.

rascsi_daynaport.png.004a094f9c3d875a1676bfd482cb77dc.png

• 68kMLA Supporter

*sigh* There is something seriously wrong with the changes I made. The DaynaPort functionality seems to mostly work, but a bunch of other functionality is broken.

No one should use the daynaport stuff that I currently have checked in.

I need a drink..... :sadmac:

Edited by landoGriffin
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 68kMLA Supporter
On 2/23/2021 at 3:10 PM, landoGriffin said:

If anyone is interested, the video from my RaSCSI talk at FOSDEM is available online:

https://mirrors.dotsrc.org/fosdem/2021/D.retro/retro_rascsi.mp4

Very informative presentation. It's unfortunate that you state that SCSI2SD is "not open source, but used to be" which is an inaccurate representation of the actual situation, where SCSI2SD V4/V5 _and_ V6 firmware is fully open source, and GPL licensed, as is the GUI code to configure the utility. It has _always_ been this way.

The only thing that's not open source with SCSI2SD V5 and V6 is the actual PCB layout. The SCSI2SD V4 gerbers are still open source, and always have been. You are correct in one regard, however, which is that the SCSI2SD V6 PCB has never been open source. SCSI2SD V6 is based on an STM32F

The SCSI2SD V6 firmware/utility source code repository is available here: http://www.codesrc.com/gitweb/index.cgi?p=SCSI2SD-V6.git;a=summary, and has been since 2015, when the V6 projet was started.

The SCSI2SD V5 firmware/utility source code repository is available here: http://www.codesrc.com/gitweb/index.cgi?p=SCSI2SD.git

If you ever present this content again, I'd encourage you to include a row in the parametric comparison table to more clearly show that the projects are either fully closed, fully open, or HW/SW only. MacSD, for instance, is completely closed source, which you do mention verbally in your presentation, although I still think it would be helpful to more clearly delineate this in the presentation.

Edited by aperezbios
  • 68kMLA Supporter
20 hours ago, aperezbios said:

Very informative presentation. It's unfortunate that you state that SCSI2SD is "not open source, but used to be" which is an inaccurate representation of the actual situation, where SCSI2SD V4/V5 _and_ V6 firmware is fully open source, and GPL licensed, as is the GUI code to configure the utility. It has _always_ been this way.

I sincerely apologize for this mistake. It was not my intent to mislead anyone. If I do this presentation again, I will surely correct that information.

Nice presentation.  MacSD is listed as not having floppy support.  While it doesn't emulate a physical drive, it does support mounting multiple floppy images at once.

I also noticed SCSI2SD is listed as having floppy support.  What is the extent of floppy support on the SCSI2SD?

• 68kMLA Supporter
20 hours ago, aperezbios said:

tbh, my understanding of the SCSI2SD licensing was exactly the same as @landoGriffin's before you posted this comment. I've seen others make the same assumption.

It probably doesn't help that the SCSI2SD homepage is (in my opinion) very opaque about what is and isn't open source. This is the only reference to licensing/GPL on the homepage:

Unlicenced Copies

Older versions of the SCSI2SD hardware designs were published under the GPL licence. This permits anyone to build their own board from the original or modified designs, so long as they abide by the licence terms.

• The source/designs of any modifications must be provided to those you distribute the board to.
  • Clones are based on the obsolete V4 design, lack features, and may not be compatible with all the systems listed on these pages.

Artmix is currently selling unlicensed modified clones ("SD SusanoMonster"), and refuses to comply with the GPL. Please do not purchase this board. If you have already purchased, please request the seller provides you with the modified designs under the GPL licence.

This isn't terribly clarifying - it states that older hardware versions were GPL license (while providing no info on current versions). No information about the firmware or utility license. Based on a search for "GPL" on the SCSI2SD wiki, the above quote is the only time the word GPL is used in the Wiki documentation. No information on licensing in the FAQ either.

All this is to say: I think it's clear why this misconception regarding the licensing of SCSI2SD exists. The licensing of SCSI2SD isn't clear until you actually find the repositories in which the code lives. Adding some clarifying material to the homepage of the SCSI2SD wiki would probably prevent most of this confusion.

With that, back to the regularly scheduled RaSCSI programming (sorry for off-topic digression).

• 68kMLA Supporter
20 hours ago, Michael_b said:

This isn't terribly clarifying - it states that older hardware versions were GPL license (while providing no info on current versions). No information about the firmware or utility license. Based on a search for "GPL" on the SCSI2SD wiki, the above quote is the only time the word GPL is used in the Wiki documentation. No information on licensing in the FAQ either.

All this is to say: I think it's clear why this misconception regarding the licensing of SCSI2SD exists. The licensing of SCSI2SD isn't clear until you actually find the repositories in which the code lives. Adding some clarifying material to the homepage of the SCSI2SD wiki would probably prevent most of this confusion.

...but on the same SCSI2SD project landing page, if you bother to scroll down, you'll see links to the code repos for both V5 and V6, which, by your own admission, contain clear licensing terms. Also, a simple web search for "SCSI2SD GPL" shows evident source code. While I don't disagree with you that the codesrc website could certainly be more clear, I also don't find the argument that the licensing of the source is at all "opaque". The links to the SCSI2SD git repositories have been on that page since at least 2014 in the case of V5. Here's a a snapshot of the site from April 4th, of 2018, from archive.org, as well as a screenshot of the text as it exists today on the CodeSrc site.

image.thumb.png.a6a0f7befbc837878cc59851e7af4886.png

Edited by aperezbios
On 2/24/2021 at 8:10 AM, landoGriffin said:

If anyone is interested, the video from my RaSCSI talk at FOSDEM is available online:

https://mirrors.dotsrc.org/fosdem/2021/D.retro/retro_rascsi.mp4

I can hear audio only in Safari on a High Sierra 2015 15" MBP.  When viewing that MP4 in FireFox or Chrome, the video plays.  In Safari, I see this one page error:

Failed to load resource: Plug-in handled load

I killed all Safari extensions and removed Internet Plugins and restarted to no avail (in Safari). 

When I download the MP4 and open in QuickTime Player 10, only the audio plays, but not the video.  Interestingly, QT Player 7 can play the video just fine! VLC of course has not problem with the video. That proves the black video problem not not exclusive to Safari, but it makes me wonder why FireFox and Chrome and QT Player 7 can play video from that MP4.  

Completely uninstalling Ad Block and Ad Guard did not resolve the issue. 

Anyone experience this and/or have a solution?

Edited by JDW
  • 68kMLA Supporter
20 hours ago, JDW said:

I can hear audio only in Safari on a High Sierra 2015 15" MBP.  When viewing that MP4 in FireFox or Chrome, the video plays.  In Safari, I see this one page error:

Failed to load resource: Plug-in handled load

I don't have an older Machine/OS handy to try on, but both audio and video work fine for me in Safari 14.0.3 on an M1 mini running Big Sur, along with on Quicktime 10.5 Player

20 hours ago, Torbar said:

I don't have an older Machine/OS handy to try on, but both audio and video work fine for me in Safari 14.0.3 on an M1 mini running Big Sur, along with on Quicktime 10.5 Player

Thanks.  I just booted from a 2TB USB SSD that runs Catalina and I can playback the video just fine in Safari.  It still bothers me I cannot do that on my internal 1TB Apple SSD though, as I prefer High Sierra as my daily driver.  I cannot imagine this is something exclusive to High Sierra though as QT Player 7 (much older than QT Player X) plays it back just fine under High Sierra, as do FireFox and Chrome. 

There must be something installed on my High Sierra Mac that is selectively blocking playback (but not audio playback) of this particular MP4 in Safari and QT Player X, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out what that is.  Ack! :-( 

Sorry for steering this thread another direction.  I posted here mainly because I wanted to see if I am, yet again, the lone soul on planet earth who has these kinds of problems.  Sometimes I feel cursed.

• 68kMLA Supporter
21 hours ago, JDW said:

Thanks.  I just booted from a 2TB USB SSD that runs Catalina and I can playback the video just fine in Safari.  It still bothers me I cannot do that on my internal 1TB Apple SSD though, as I prefer High Sierra as my daily driver.  I cannot imagine this is something exclusive to High Sierra though as QT Player 7 (much older than QT Player X) plays it back just fine under High Sierra, as do FireFox and Chrome. 

There's also a "webm" version of the presentation. Maybe you have better luck with that on high sierra?

https://mirrors.dotsrc.org/fosdem/2021/D.retro/retro_rascsi.webm

20 hours ago, landoGriffin said:

There's also a "webm" version of the presentation. Maybe you have better luck with that on high sierra?

https://mirrors.dotsrc.org/fosdem/2021/D.retro/retro_rascsi.webm

Thank you for your kindness.  But even though I cannot play the MP4 back in QT Player X or Safari on my High Sierra MBP, that MP4 version still beats WebM which cannot play at all (not even the audio) in Safari or QuickTime Player X or QT Player 7.

The problem with your MP4 must be the codec.  It's not MP4 in general because these example videos play perfectly fine in High Sierra in Safari.

All said, I humbly recommend YouTube as the preferred means of distribution for your future videos because it can accommodate pretty much any playback device as well as numerous operating systems, and allow resolution switching too.  

Anyway, I did watch the entire video in its entirety, and although the audio from the gentleman giving you questions at the end was very difficult to hear with speakers at a volume that could accommodate your mic level, I did find the content interesting.  The insights are much appreciated.

On 2/25/2021 at 11:45 PM, JDW said:

It still bothers me I cannot do that on my internal 1TB Apple SSD though, as I prefer High Sierra as my daily driver.

I know it's a pain, but have you tried a clean install of High Sierra?

c

On 2/26/2021 at 9:37 PM, CC_333 said:

I know it's a pain, but have you tried a clean install of High Sierra?

c

No.  I've been too busy to do that properly.  But my YouTube recommendation still stands.  It's by far the single best way to distribute video for free across pretty much any device and OS.

For now, I have watched the video in its entirety, so the MP4 incompatibility is no longer an issue.  And when viewing other MP4s, I never have any issues.  

• 68kMLA Supporter
21 hours ago, JDW said:

But my YouTube recommendation still stands. 

I don’t disagree, but it’s up to the FOSDEM organizers. 

For anyone interested, I think the DaynaPort SCSI/Link emulation would be considered in early Beta stage. (As in, ready for more people to try out, but definitely not ready for prime time)

Instructions are available here:

https://github.com/akuker/RASCSI/wiki/Dayna-Port-SCSI-Link

There have been a couple crashes reported and a couple folks have struggled to get it working at all. If you do, or do not have luck, please share your results so we can get an idea of where this is working. 

(Note: I *think* CDROM Emulation is broken currently)

I really haven’t had as much time as I like to devote to this project, so any help from testers is appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

I assembled and connected my RaSCSCI Fullspec v2.3 to a PI-Zero W and loaded up the 1.5 bare metal build and a sample disk image. When I connect power to the RaSCSI, only the 5V light turns on. Should the 3.3V light also turn on? It freezes the mac it is connected to externally when powered (Beige Mac G3). Any troubleshooting steps would be appreciated. Thanks!

• 68kMLA Supporter
19 hours ago, Aaron707 said:

Greetings,

I assembled and connected my RaSCSCI Fullspec v2.3 to a PI-Zero W and loaded up the 1.5 bare metal build and a sample disk image. When I connect power to the RaSCSI, only the 5V light turns on. Should the 3.3V light also turn on? It freezes the mac it is connected to externally when powered (Beige Mac G3). Any troubleshooting steps would be appreciated. Thanks!

How have you set the termination? Also, when you say it freezes the Mac - are you powering the RaSCSI on or connecting the RaSCSI to the Mac with the Mac already powered on? It would be best to have the RaSCSI fully powered on and connected to the Mac before powering the Mac on.

Finally, the baremetal version does display output over HDMI. Not sure if there would be anything there for you to troubleshoot. Certainly worth checking there to see if everything appears normal.

19 hours ago, Michael_b said:

How have you set the termination? Also, when you say it freezes the Mac - are you powering the RaSCSI on or connecting the RaSCSI to the Mac with the Mac already powered on? It would be best to have the RaSCSI fully powered on and connected to the Mac before powering the Mac on.

Finally, the baremetal version does display output over HDMI. Not sure if there would be anything there for you to troubleshoot. Certainly worth checking there to see if everything appears normal.

This page says both 3.3v and 5v should be illuminated: https://github.com/akuker/RASCSI/wiki/Connecting-the-RaSCSI

I tried it with Termination set to on and set to off (both switches). I tried it with the device powered before the Mac G3 was on and the mac would never boot. Also tried it after booting: SCSI cable connected and then power applied to device and the computer freezes until I remove power from RaSCSI. Should the 3.3v light be on when powered? I only see 5v illuminated connected to mac or not. I have another RaSCSI board I can put together and spare Pi-Zero. Might try it with the standard build and see. I only need to apply power to the RaSCSI board correct? The Pi is powered through the GPIO pins?