RaSCSI Development Thread

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One tip I was thinking about, seems it hasn't been mentioned in this thread, if you stick an ID_EEPROM on the board, that can make using your board easier, especially for folks who want to switch between HATs by plugging them in and unplugging them.  Linux will automagically load the required kernel drivers by using Device Tree data.  (I'm assuming the ID EEPROM pins are not used by RaSCSI as the Raspberry Pi schematics say they shouldn't be used for anything else.)  That being said, if I understand correctly, RaSCSI is implemented entirely as a usermode service with no kernel driver components.  But still, with the ID EEPROM, your service could check if the RaSCSI board is actually attached and abort loading if it isn't.  Potential ideas for future developments.

9 hours ago, quorten said:

One tip I was thinking about, seems it hasn't been mentioned in this thread, if you stick an ID_EEPROM on the board, that can make using your board easier, especially for folks who want to switch between HATs by plugging them in and unplugging them.  Linux will automagically load the required kernel drivers by using Device Tree data.  (I'm assuming the ID EEPROM pins are not used by RaSCSI as the Raspberry Pi schematics say they shouldn't be used for anything else.)  That being said, if I understand correctly, RaSCSI is implemented entirely as a usermode service with no kernel driver components.  But still, with the ID EEPROM, your service could check if the RaSCSI board is actually attached and abort loading if it isn't.  Potential ideas for future developments.

Hey @quorten that's a really cool idea.  If you want to help get that going, the github project accepts enhancement requests on the issues page.  https://github.com/akuker/RASCSI/issues

Edited by NF_
typo
17 hours ago, quorten said:

But still, with the ID EEPROM, your service could check if the RaSCSI board is actually attached and abort loading if it isn't. 

It could also be used to tell the difference between "FULLSPEC" and "STANDARD" version of the board. 

Hi folks! I've been following the development of this RaSCSI since it was ever released in Japan about 3 years ago. It has been such an interesting project to follow! [:)]

I even ordered the Japanise Gimos version directly from Japan through an expensive shipping service couple of years ago. Luckily I was able to order the latest version of the RaSCSI board to Finland directly from Tindie. Thank you, guys! |)

Btw, I've got some issues with RPi 4, the RaSCSI board (Gimons version and others) doesn't seem to work after I have updated the RPi's firmware and Linux kernel. But with RPi 3, and with an older firmware, the board works okay. Has anyone aware of some compatibility issues with the latest RPi so far? 

Let's see how it is going to work with the akuker's RaSCSI board... 8-)

8 hours ago, landoGriffin said:

Holy cow!! The RaSCSIs sold out on Tindie!! Thank you to everyone who ordered! 

Thank you for ordering these boards and offering them!

As soon as mine arrives, I plan to design a 3D-printable external case for it. I'm thinking that I'll try design it with the Snow White design language in mind. Of course, the final model will be posted for free, but for people without access to a 3D printer, I'll offer printed cases on Etsy.

If anyone has any feature requests for such a case, let me know. No promises, but I'd love to hear your ideas!

I think it would be really cool for it to look like a mini IIci (or similar) and have the RaSCSI logo on the front where the Apple logo would normally go. You should find a RaSCSI sticker in with your device :)

I also have quite a few extra!

Edited by landoGriffin
On 9/9/2020 at 4:45 PM, PotatoFi said:

Thank you for ordering these boards and offering them!

As soon as mine arrives, I plan to design a 3D-printable external case for it. I'm thinking that I'll try design it with the Snow White design language in mind. Of course, the final model will be posted for free, but for people without access to a 3D printer, I'll offer printed cases on Etsy.

If anyone has any feature requests for such a case, let me know. No promises, but I'd love to hear your ideas!

2 different lid options would be good, one with and one without allowance for the 2nd db25 board. That’s really just because I wrecked my extension board by accident during my build so won’t be using it (I do prefer the access to the internal SCSI connector anyway). ;)

Punch out, access for the lcd screen extension would also be handy. 

I’m getting a POST error (not written) when trying to upload ISOs from the web app. Is this not fully implemented yet or did I do something wrong during setup. Everything else works great! 

Getting around it by setting up an SMB share for in the fly uploads, but it would be awesome to do it all right from the web app.

8 hours ago, Endsjustify said:

I’m getting a POST error (not written) when trying to upload ISOs from the web app. Is this not fully implemented yet or did I do something wrong during setup. Everything else works great! 

Getting around it by setting up an SMB share for in the fly uploads, but it would be awesome to do it all right from the web app.

Just to confirm, has the upload_max_filesize setting in /etc/php/7.3/apache2/php.ini been changed?  The default is 2M, but the wiki talks about bumping it to 1200M.

If that setting has been changed, is the CF card out of space?  You can check free space with ...

df -h

but I suspect free space is not an issue on a new installation.

8 hours ago, NF_ said:

Just to confirm, has the upload_max_filesize setting in /etc/php/7.3/apache2/php.ini been changed?  The default is 2M, but the wiki talks about bumping it to 1200M.

If that setting has been changed, is the CF card out of space?  You can check free space with ...

df -h

but I suspect free space is not an issue on a new installation.

Yes, upload bumped to 1200M. 30+ GB left on the cases, no issue uploading ISO’s via smb.

8 hours ago, Endsjustify said:

Yes, upload bumped to 1200M. 30+ GB left on the cases, no issue uploading ISO’s via smb.

Thanks for checking.  I'll do some testing and try to recreate. How big was the ISO image in MB?

8 hours ago, Byte Knight said:

So I went through the whole clone and build on my RPi3, but when I get to the "cat /var/log/rascsi.log" I get nothing.  I can see rascsi.log in var/log but the file is empty.  Did I read somewhere that RaSCSI doesn't work with a RPi3?

I saw this myself.  Will be testing more soon, and will hopefully have an answer.

8 hours ago, landoGriffin said:

Nope. RaSCSI should work great with the Pi 3. The only Pi it won’t work with is the original (Raspberry Pi 1 model B) due to its smaller connector. 

Did you restart the rsyslog service? 

Yes, I copy'ed and pasted all the commands via SSH from Step #5:

sudo systemctl restart rsyslog
sudo systemctl enable rascsi # optional - start rascsi at boot
sudo systemctl start rascsi

11 hours ago, Byte Knight said:

So I went through the whole clone and build on my RPi3, but when I get to the "cat /var/log/rascsi.log" I get nothing.  I can see rascsi.log in var/log but the file is empty.  Did I read somewhere that RaSCSI doesn't work with a RPi3?

10 hours ago, NF_ said:

I saw this myself.  Will be testing more soon, and will hopefully have an answer.

It doesn't actually seem to be a problem, but if you want to see those lines, I got them to appear by restarting the service:

sudo systemctl restart rascsi

I also noticed despite getting the system working and mounting and unmounting different images, I never saw any more lines when using

tail -f /var/log/rasci.log

Again, that didn't seem to prevent proper iteration operation.

Edited by NoTrueSpaceman

Ya, unfortunately, rascsi doesn't log anything unless something REALLY bad happens.

If there are specific things you'd like to see in the log file, feel free to comment on the existing github issue. I've been working some of this in parallel with pulling in @saybur's Nuvolink functionality.

https://github.com/akuker/RASCSI/issues/19

(BTW - I owe Saybur a beer, or 20. His documentation for how the Nuvolink works is AWESOME!)