Hard Drive Issue

Hi all, I acquired another SE, an FDHD this time.  I pulled the HDD out because it wasn't booting anymore, installed a new drive and system 7.1 from a dead LCII I had, and it runs like a dream now.  My problem, such as it is, comes from trying to hook the bad drive up to an external enclosure to see if I can pull some data off of it.  

I'm using the guts of an Apple External Hard Drive (M2115) (http://appletothecore.me/files/m2115_external_drive.php), and whenever I turn the thing on it freezes my SE.  I can't boot into the internal drive, even after setting it to be the startup disk in control panel.  I'm not sure what the issue is, or how to fix it.  I was hoping someone could at least point me in the right google direction; my google-fu is weak tonight.  I'm pretty sure the enclosure works; with the original disk in it, I was getting SCSI errors from Lido at least.

As an aside, somewhat, I tried to hook my SCSI2SD up to the enclosure, and it's not visible to the SE.  Is this to be expected?  I would have thought it'd just operate as a HDD, but it doesn't look like it.

I have the SCSI ID of the enclosure set to 4.  

I have a ZIP drive that works like a dream, so I know the port is good.

Any additional info that is needed, please ask and I'll do my best to provide the answers.

Thanks in advance!

• 68kMLA Supporter

The SCSI ID selector on the enclosure is attached to a set of leads that attach to SCSI ID jumpers on the drive. If those leads are not connected, the ID selector does nothing, and the drive's ID jumpers determine the ID.

If you haven't changed the jumpers on the malfunctioning HD, it's probably still set to ID 0, which is the default ID for internal hard drives on Macs. This will cause the system to freeze and otherwise misbehave as two devices cannot share the same ID on the SCSI chain. The SCSI2SD issue may be similar. Do you have a terminator on the enclosure?

The SCSI ID selector on the enclosure is attached to a set of leads that attach to SCSI ID jumpers on the drive. If those leads are not connected, the ID selector does nothing, and the drive's ID jumpers determine the ID.

If you haven't changed the jumpers on the malfunctioning HD, it's probably still set to ID 0, which is the default ID for internal hard drives on Macs. This will cause the system to freeze and otherwise misbehave as two devices cannot share the same ID on the SCSI chain. The SCSI2SD issue may be similar. Do you have a terminator on the enclosure?

That makes total sense. I'll check it out tomorrow and report back, but I'm sure that's it. I'm not sure if it has a terminator, but it is powered on its own if that makes a difference. I'm still fuzzy on power termination.

On the back of the external hard drive, there should be a "SCSI Selector." Change that from 0.

Also, you may need to download a program and get it on your SE called "Apple HD SC Setup (Patched") to initialize the SCSI2SD.

Edited by MacSE