Jump to content

ADB Busboy: Adapter for USB peripherals over ADB


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, a few things have happened since my last update. The good news is that my bootloader is basically working. There are a couple little tweaks left to implement. But it does its job of updating the board firmware.

 

I was being clumsy with my bench power supply and accidentally released the magic smoke. So I had to assemble a new board. During testing the new board, I found that the integrated usb hub works, but if I connect another downstream hub, it fails. At this point I don't remember if I ever tested that on my original assembled board. I did test it on the development kit board, and it worked. So I don't know if it's a problem in my board design or a defect on this board. The pcb has a slight pressure mark on one of the usb traces. Otherwise, I can't find any defect. If that were the problem, I don't think the onboard hub controller would work either.

 

The one empty pcb I have left has a pressure mark in the same spot. So to make eliminate that possibility I would have to order more pcbs. And they would probably have the same issue. It could be the hub controller I'm using. To test that idea I would have to redesign the board for a different controller. Ugh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...
A related topic came up in IRC today so I figured I should really post an update.
 
I solved the unreliable behavior with daisy-chained hubs. Some USB devices draw a lot more inrush current than others. Adding a capacitor to each port solves this problem.
 
I redesigned the PCB to be about 40% smaller, switched to an RGB status LED, upgraded the ESD protection diodes, and probably a couple other things I have forgotten about. I haven't ordered this new board yet. I want to review the layout again first. When I will get around to doing that, I don't know.
 

Adb busboy 2017 11 06

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

A related topic came up in IRC today so I figured I should really post an update.
 
I solved the unreliable behavior with daisy-chained hubs. Some USB devices draw a lot more inrush current than others. Adding a capacitor to each port solves this problem.
 
I redesigned the PCB to be about 40% smaller, switched to an RGB status LED, upgraded the ESD protection diodes, and probably a couple other things I have forgotten about. I haven't ordered this new board yet. I want to review the layout again first. When I will get around to doing that, I don't know.

 

Please, let us know the salestart....

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

It's almost the same as USB Wombat. The primary differences are :

* ADB Busboy has 2 USB ports

* ADB Busboy only allows you use USB peripherals on ADB computers, not the opposite.

* ADB Busboy has better power protection between the ADB host (computer) and USB bus.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...