Hi everyone, I was thinking about my ibook g3 clamshell and I cant stand the missing logo, both parts of it are missing. How would a 3D printed one look? Even if its orange and not translucent, it might still look ok. I believe translucent orange filament does exist though.

Edited by Jon183
  • Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Once we’re 100% on the model we can order a run on a SLA printer so it won’t have any lines and then Home Depot sells a near perfect color matching spray paint! If somebody knows how to cast plastic that would be an option also.

Edited by 360alaska

With all due respect to @360alaska, I appreciate the work done on this (that seems to mirror the work that was documented here) - truly, I do - but so we’re on the same page, the bezel I’ve been asking for (which some folks actually have and have been willing to part with temporarily) is the caddy-load bezel that really only has the caddy-length slot and a round eject button. The one you’ve made is the style I currently have that is more of the universal variety; example, I’m using it with a caddy-load 300i. 

I’m just glad I didn’t get ragged on for bumping an old thread :)

29 minutes ago, pb3623 said:

With all due respect to @360alaska, I appreciate the work done on this (that seems to mirror the work that was documented here) - truly, I do - but so we’re on the same page, the bezel I’ve been asking for (which some folks actually have and have been willing to part with temporarily) is the caddy-load bezel that really only has the caddy-length slot and a round eject button. The one you’ve made is the style I currently have that is more of the universal variety; example, I’m using it with a caddy-load 300i. 

I’m just glad I didn’t get ragged on for bumping an old thread :)

Nope, I did not use that as a starting point. I did see though and I tried and it was WAY off. I got a syquest bezel off of eBay and mike’d that. It figures that I work hard, make muiltiple prototypes to adjust the length of the clips only to be accused of copying someone else’s untested/defective design.

Edited by 360alaska

No, I wasn't implying anything like that - other than if you knew it was there, it could've saved you a bit of work. Turns out you did know it was there and used that as a starting point. The one I uploaded and printed from Shapeways has a slight gap on the right side but I think I used too thin a material (flimsy).

But it (measuring, modeling, and creating the STL yourself) is a good skill set to have anyway, as you noted - especially with supply drying up quickly on old parts like this.

I put them both into cad so you can see the difference, his is the grey, mine is the green. His measures 170.5 x 60.5 which is one of the reasons why to doesn't fit:

Capture.JPG.942e0562165d5e22c30054066fc118f8.JPG

Mine measures 172 x 60.9 which is part of why it does fit, here they are superimposed on each other:

Capture2.JPG.220c89d195ce22b7f7f2a03a68c62c9c.JPG

NOTHING IS THE SAME BECAUSE I DIDN'T USE HIS DESIGN AS A STARTING POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by 360alaska
22 minutes ago, unxmaal said:

As I posted in some other thread here, I have a Q950 bezel with the round button and a set of calipers. 

https://imgur.com/a/HkpInXh

I can make as many measurements as anyone needs, though I don't know CAD.

If your willing to send me your bezel I can model it, on the other hand, Tinkercad is pretty easy to use, you just have to have imagination. I can share my design to your tinkercad account and you can use it as a starting point.

Edited by 360alaska
On 7/10/2018 at 4:10 PM, 360alaska said:

If your willing to send me your bezel I can model it, on the other hand, Tinkercad is pretty easy to use, you just have to have imagination. I can share my design to your tinkercad account and you can use it as a starting point.

If he doesn't want to send his, I'll mail you mine, it just takes me a while to get around to getting to the post office due to my crazy schedule and knack for procrastination. [;)]