• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would be nice is a simple "apple" drive mount adapter for their goofy 4-hole "small" pattern to the more industry standard on current 2.5" drives.

This way, a thinner/newer SSD (or mSATA <-> IDE) drive could be mounted into an older IDE powerbook. Would only need to be 3mm thick and have the hole pattern for modern drives be countersunk for a shallow screw.

• 4 weeks later...

What would be nice is a simple "apple" drive mount adapter for their goofy 4-hole "small" pattern to the more industry standard on current 2.5" drives.

This way, a thinner/newer SSD (or mSATA <-> IDE) drive could be mounted into an older IDE powerbook. Would only need to be 3mm thick and have the hole pattern for modern drives be countersunk for a shallow screw.

I like this idea, as I've been working with the innards of my Powerbook 190cs and the drive mounting (or lack thereof in this case) bothers me greatly.

A simple adapter plate might be enough. If I get some time soon I'll break out the calipers and get something modeled up.

• 2 weeks later...

So.. what are the thoughts on "print it yourself, and have it be streaky" vs. use a service like Shapeways for a more professional finish or even a nice polished look?

Cost is much higher with shape ways, but having seen a number of their parts in person, I wonder if it's not worth it for external case parts- bezels, etc.

Thoughts?

It's streaky because it's piece of plastic string melted, layer after layer.  It leaves layers and streaks.  You can smooth it out by putting the object in a hood and letting vapors from paint remover or whatever melt the outside a tiny bit.

The only desktop 3D printer that won't be streaky is the Formlabs SLA printer, but it also costs $3500 for just the printer (not including the $700 UV machine to cure the resin.)

Desktop SLS (powder + laser) printers are $10,000+, which is cheaper than their industrial cousins at $100,000+.

Because most parts printed off a desktop 3D printer are- it's not an issue- just how they look...

My print's aren't really streaky, but I have a pretty good printer. Yes, they're will be visible lines if you are printing .2 layer height but it shouldn't look like this:

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/

Edited by 360alaska

The vapor smoothing is only really available for ABS prints, acetone vapor immersion will slightly melt the surface, smoothing it out.
I think PLA is more common now due to the printer cost (no need for heated bed or extra ventilation), and doesn't have an easy smoothing method like that.

Alaska, just got my portable and I think it has one of your batteries installed! lol

Hey, still printing feet? My portable needs them... Can you print in white/grey?

Really? Who did you get it from? I can probably make some feet if needed.

Edited by 360alaska

Ok, let me know! If you can't do it I'll get it done by shapeways or something, although I'd rather you did it since you can monitor it!

Cool, I'll try to get to it tonight.

Someone tried to steal my car the other night so last night was spent unboxing and testing my new security camera system.