LazarusNine's Acquisitions

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If x means 030, then what does c mean? Compact? And if so, what does the i in IIci mean? So confusing.

I'm with you, Vince. Even if the "i" refers to "integrated graphics", the logic of Apple's naming scheme quickly falls apart. As others have pointed out, the "v" series makes little sense and the follow-up product families demonstrate that Apple gave up on a logical approach to their sequential numbering schemes: Quadra (040), Centris (middle of the line) and Performa (uh, fancy name for "entry level"?).

• 68kMLA Supporter

Seriously?

IIx. II with 030.

IIcx. Compact II with 030.

IIci. Compact II with Internal video.

I know this is a very old and worn-out joke, but by that logic why wasn't the original form factor with an 030 the "SeX"?

:)

IIRC, the "i" denoted something like Cache/PDS Slot. There's some differentiation between the slots of the IIvx and IIvi, LEM isn't very helpful, didn't check everymac, you'd probably need to hit the DevNotes to figure it out.

The Performa line was invented out of thin air for the consumer and education distribution channels. The plethora of bundles/model designations we find so ridiculous today was done intentionally so as to make "same model price beat" claims by vendors possible and comparison shopping by consumers impossible. It was a very evil era in the appliance and consumer electronics marketplace.

• 4 months later...

So, I've come across another machine. I actually bought this system for its Apple Extended Keyboard. I usually stick to 68k machines, but I've been branching out quite a lot recently, as this thread reveals!

Anyway, I've never owned a G3 desktop and was pretty pleased this one came with the monitor and some extra midi peripherals/adapters. What's weird to me is that both the monitor (~1993) and the keyboard (~1990) do not fit this era of machine (~1997). I bought the whole lot off the previous user who was quite attached to the machine; she had bought it off someone else in the early 2000s. I'm just curious how the monitor, desktop and keyboard all ended up in the same place together for so long!

I stuck a spare ATI Rage 128 16MB GPU in there and will likely install a PCI USB card. I swapped out the 4GB HDD with an IDE-to-SD converter. The new 32GB SD card is partitioned at 7GB for the system and the remainder for everything else.

Eventually, it's going to need a good clean, but baby steps!

pmg3v2.jpg

Edited by LazarusNine

It could be that the first owner of this lot originally had it all paired with a Quadra 700, which fits neatly into the same timeframe as both the keyboard and monitor (the 700 was produced from October 1991 through March 1993, according to Everymac).

Then, as his/her needs changed, they upgraded to a better machine (the G3), choosing to keep the keyboard (whose feel they probably preferred) and monitor (to save money) from their old system.

c

I wonder why it has an ANSI keyboard though, you're in the UK, right? And you bought it locally?

On another note, it's so sad to see all those nice pics gone >:(:-/:(:'( Damn you Photobucket!

Yes, I thought that was strange as well. It's an ANSI layout with a pound sign (£) on the '3'. I'm confused. Maybe they did that with the AEK before switching over to ISO for the AEKII?

And yes, stupid Photobucket. I should never have put my faith in that site. Now I'm just hosting all of my images through my own website. I'd post them directly in this site, but we have that MB limit. Would be nice to be able to go back to old posts and fix the links, though...

So, I've started the process of cleaning the AEK. All keycaps removed and cleaned, 30 years of dust vacuumed, isopropyl alcohol scrubbed in. The housing and spacebar are currently cooking under a blacklight after a generous layering of peroxide cream for some retrobriting action. More photos to come.

post-3939-0-30373700-1501091136_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

It’s probably nothing special to many, but I finally bit the bullet and snagged a Pismo PowerBook off eBay. The seller misidentified it as a Lombard (which I already own). Given that my Lombard is a bit of a Frankensteined machine - had to replace the innards of a 333Mhz with 400MHz components - I’ve been looking for a replacement. The Pismo has always been a bit of a ‘holy grail’ (though by no means rare) which I’ve understood to a point, but beyond FireWire (which is a little useless these days), there’s not a vast difference between the 400MHz Lombard and Pismo. Perhaps that increased bus and larger RAM cap is something. Still, I’m pleased to finally have one of these on its way.

Edited by LazarusNine
  • 1 year later...