4* GND        7       5

5  TxD        2       3

6 NC

7 NC

8* GND

Shield       Shield

*Connect together at Mini-DIN 8

**Connect together at DB-25

DB-9 specs weren't in the Imagewriter manual, I looked up the pin out online.

I have never done it in C, but this guy has done it in QBasic on the receive end: http://ptouchman.blogspot.hk/2014/07/serial-flow-control-rts-in-qbasic.html

You need a loop of some sort that stops transmitting when the DTR line is set to false and resumes when its set to true. I think you can send the contents of the file "raw" to the serial port using a terminal program too. Whats interesting is Apple's programming examples in the IW II technical reference don't bother with flow control at all. They just open up the serial port and write characters to it.

• 5 weeks later...

This is a very interesting (and timely) discussion since I am working on an ImageWriter II as well.

While Apple never wrote color drivers for the ImageWriter II, at least one third party developer did.  The one I am familiar with is MacPalette II and it will allow you to print in full color from a Mac.

There are 3 versions of the ImageWriter II.  I am guessing you have the second (1986) version.  The last version (1990) is MUCH more streamlined internally and considerably easier to take apart.  A couple days ago I took apart a 1986 version and then a 1990 version.  The 1990 version is so much more beautifully modular.  

• 3 weeks later...

Thats good because I dont know C. lol. I am a BASIC guy. Well, the modern forms of it. I dont know too much about the older forms as it was slightly different than what I am used to, today. 

10 PRINT "HELLO!"

20 GOTO 10

RUN

HELLO!

HELLO!

HELLO!

HELLO!

HELLO!

HELLO!

HELLO!

HELLO!

• 4 weeks later...

I've been looking for someone that can fix these things.

I have 2 and would like to get one working out of them. The problem has been a pin not firing. Replacing the head did not fix the problem. If any one in the SF Bay Area would be great as these things weigh a ton and shipping them would be prohibitive.

• 2 years later...
On 2/27/2015 at 7:59 PM, techknight said:

So.. No love for the IW II then? I see.... 

Well only reason why I want to restore it, because I still have the original box. Plus I dunno, I just have a liking to that printer. Sure its a slow-ass dot-matrix, but they are awesome for banners!

Imagewriter II's are pretty robust I'd say

• 11 months later...

This is a pretty cool thread. TechKnight, I have my family's ImageWriter II at home that I would to keep in working order. It functions fine now, no issues, except the rollers/motor for the drive belt get stuck unless I manually move them first...need lube I am sure of some kind? How in the world did you actually take yours apart? I'm afraid that if I took it apart, I'd forget how to get it back together!

• 9 months later...
  • 68kMLA Supporter
On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2015 at 9:26 PM, eraser said:

This is a very interesting (and timely) discussion since I am working on an ImageWriter II as well.

While Apple never wrote color drivers for the ImageWriter II, at least one third party developer did.  The one I am familiar with is MacPalette II and it will allow you to print in full color from a Mac.

There are 3 versions of the ImageWriter II.  I am guessing you have the second (1986) version.  The last version (1990) is MUCH more streamlined internally and considerably easier to take apart.  A couple days ago I took apart a 1986 version and then a 1990 version.  The 1990 version is so much more beautifully modular.  

Resurrecting an old thread...  @eraser or anyone else that has taken apart a newer ImageWriter II - I would like to recap one of mine which is what I believe to be a newer version with a one piece case.  The service manuals I have found indicate that to pull the PSU/Driver board you unscrew and remove the two bottom legs and can then remove the bottom case.  The version I have doesn't seem to have removable legs.

I would like to take this unit apart without breaking anything or pulling apart more than I need to - Has anybody come across a newer service manual or has some advice on how to take the newer models apart?

My secondary Apple collection obsession is Apple printers so this thread interests me. I had recently been considering the possibility these printers would need re-capping to be functional again, and here we are.

I have ImageWriters, StyleWriters and LaserWriters of various models, but I would love to have a functional ImageWriter II again.

superjar2000 I'm really keen to hear how you get on with yours. And thanks techknight for this thread and your info!