post-1888-0-81168100-1417290150_thumb.jpg

This photo is real! It's one of my 12" PowerBook G4s running OS 9 for the first time!

So far, everything seems operational except video and AirPort (now that OS 9 on unsupported machines is a real possibility, someone has to modify the AirPort drivers to include support for the newer cards). System profiler identifies everything correctly (except for the model, it just lists the identifier, PowerBook6,4).

One caveat, however: I have to enter some commands at the OF prompt every time I boot it up, otherwise it just sits at a grey screen indefinitely.

WOW!

c

Edited by CC_333

Well, the A1106 PowerBook G4 with 1.67 GHz processor works, sort of:

post-1888-0-48560200-1417293239_thumb.jpg

Except that it keeps bombing out:

post-1888-0-58753200-1417293273_thumb.jpg

It's probably something minor, because if it gets this far, it's obviously bootable. I have the full 2 GB of RAM in here, so I have a theory that maybe if I remove some, it'll work. I'll try it and see.

c

Edited by CC_333

Well, it's still bombing out, even with 1 GB RAM, so something else must be going on. It's beyond my abilities for the moment, so I'll let it be for now. It should still be possible eventually, though.

Check out this thread for the full story (it's a continuation of the same thread here).

c

Yes, I think it will:

post-1888-0-04134900-1417302715_thumb.jpg

post-1888-0-81830900-1417302746_thumb.jpg

This is an A1052 PowerBook G4 17" with specs similar to the 12" I tested earlier.

And something of interest to Hap:

post-1888-0-27700300-1417302808_thumb.jpg

Unbeknownst to me, this machine is apparently a DVT prototype (how else can I explain the weird serial number with "DVT" at the end?) The logic board and much of the internals are original, and thus still DVT, but the outer casing has been completely replaced with production parts (which probably reduces it's value somewhat, but oh, well). That explains why it came with a DVT battery, anyway!

c

Not much, really. it was iMic over at TC that did most of the work of hacking the Mac OS ROM file and such, I'm simply testing it out on the various machines I have.

But basically, I managed to get OS 9 working on an external FireWire drive, and I simply plug it into a given machine, adjust the OF if neccessary, and go to the disk selector to select the OS 9 disk.

c

NJRoadfan: Yes, by all means please do test! I'm pretty sure it will work, but it never hurts to confirm.

SuperToaster: That generation of iBook shouldn't be terribly different from the PowerBooks I've been testing, but it's hard to say if it will actually work or not. I suppose it wouldn't hurt?

commodorejohn: WPA/WPA2 and Wireless G would be wonderful things to have. Even Wireless B would be enough, but it seems we'd have to come up with a new WiFi driver from scratch, so it's definitely nontrivial (unless somebody can hack up the existing AirPort drivers). Hypothetically, if that were done, we could possibly hook it into the existing AirPort software so that it would look and act as expected by the system despite having it's own driver (it would also allow us to use the existing tools and accessories unmodified).

c

I figured you might be, especially since you happen to have a "supported" model! :)

That might actually be doable, except I'm not sure if there exists a viable card that would be compatible with the interface (the AirPort Extreme slot is some sort of proprietary thing I think).

However, if it's viable, then it would be an excellent thing.

However, even then, someone would have to still create a driver for it. It would help if it were a device where all the inner workings are well documented, though.

c

AFAIK the AirPort cards are just PCMCIA, right? I think it's a Broadcom chipset, which is always a pain from a third-party hacking standpoint, but IIRC it's been documented enough to be supported in Linux. The big question I'd have is whether the OS9 software for wireless support is well-understood enough and whether it has enough hooks to be hackable.

Airport Extreme (IE, the 802.11g wireless in non-9 compatible PPCs) is electrically mini-PCI, not PCMCIA, and it's mechanically proprietary so you may have issues trying to plug a normal MiniPCI card into it. (It's an experiment I've never heard having been tried.) Unless someone knows of a PCI wireless chipset with 9 compatible drivers that also happens to come in a mini-PCI version I think you're pretty much starting from scratch here.

Edited by Gorgonops